Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

floppy disk os?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Engino

Mr. Engino

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:22 PM

i have a dell dimension 4100 i had acquired many months ago. although the windows 98 os it came with still works, i wanted to try something new. recently i have heard about these tiny os that can be installed onto a regular 3 1/2" diskette. my question is, which one is the most well-rounded of them all?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:57 PM

Just where did you hear about such?  Did you find a link to such, using Google?

If so, post the link, please.

Louis

#3 Mr. Engino

Mr. Engino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:07 PM

Just where did you hear about such?  Did you find a link to such, using Google?

If so, post the link, please.

Louis

here:

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/lesser-known-operating-systems/

edit: yes, i actually googled about small operating systems, and discovered ones that could fit on floppy disk. having hard time choosing one.

Edited by Mr. Engino, 30 August 2015 - 02:25 PM.

#4 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:58 PM

ReactOS looks neat!

I Love Lamp!

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:58 PM

I'm dying to take my DOS 6.x floppies and install them solo, bare metal.  Then put the old programs on there, like Desqview, Sidekick, etc., and make a first-class DOS machine out of newer hardware.  But you have to remove most of the RAM, then there are driver problems, etc.

Edited by brainout, 06 September 2015 - 12:05 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:33 AM

Good luck with all that and have fun

I Love Lamp!

#7 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:20 AM

so Ur saying I can finally play Carmen San Diego again.... :thumbup2:

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#8 BrianVS

BrianVS

• Validating
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:12 PM

"DOS 7.1", the realmode OS underlying Win98 and Win95b will fit on a floppy. Just format a floppy with the /s option. The OS and command.com uses about 300KBytes, plenty of room to run Edit and other programs. Boot of of floppy, and your hard-drive is recognized.

DOS7.1 supports Fat32 and also makes use of motherboards with more than 64MBytes of RAM. At worst, you need to add himem.sys to config.sys at bootup.

ANYWAY! this is something that I do for embedded software running on x86 based controllers.

Edited by BrianVS, 08 September 2016 - 04:13 PM.

#9 BrianVS

BrianVS

• Validating
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

I have a 512GByte SATA drive formatted as FAT-32 (no easy trick) running DOS 7.1, ie WIN98se booted into real mode. The computer is a Panasonic CF-52 Toughbook, has native USB support in real-mode DOS.

SO: I can boot the computer off a Floppy Drive; off a USB memory Stick; or off an SD card or CF card in a USB reader. Put Phar Lap TNT.exe and run executables that use up to 4GBytes of memory, and have a self contained VMM handler.

The DOS7.1 system, executable, TNT.exe, and VMMDRV.exp all fit on a floppy. Of course using the Floppy for a page file is kind of slow.

REACTOS "looks interesting"- but not much documentation regarding supported disk formats, dual-boot capability, supported devices.

FreeDos is worth a look for you. A combination of FreeDos FDISK, FreeDOS Format, and Win98 Format were used to make the booatable SATA 512GByte drive.

Edited by BrianVS, 17 September 2016 - 08:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users