Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer upgraded to windows 10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rickster58

Rickster58

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:16 PM

I upgraded my computer to windows 10 from windows 7
I believe I have a virus or trojan from the reimage site
what is my first step to remove this virus or at least check for virus
Computer is crashing from my wireless internet connection and working really slow
also curser is doing weird things when I try to email

cheers rick

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 August 2015 - 03:11 PM.
moved from Windows 10 to Am I Infected

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:24 PM

Hello,

To start off with; I dont think you have a virus it sound more like a driiver problem or something simple but to double check please use this tool from Norton

"Norton Bootable Recovery Tool​"

https://security.symantec.com/nbrt/overview.aspx

​I have it and it works great

install it on the PC then make a USB Flash Drive recovery drive with it; boot your PC to the flash drive and then scan for virus's make sure your PC is online when you scan it.

It should come back clean if it does not it will clean the PC of bad stuff.

whether or not your infected I recommend "Norton Security"

its a really great antivirus I have had it for years and have never been infected with bad stuff.

Please let me know what the scan comes up with and we will go from there. :thumbup2:

Edited by 1029rjmenvy17t, 30 August 2015 - 12:24 PM.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,944 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:03 PM

I upgraded my computer to windows 10 from windows 7

I believe I have a virus or trojan from the reimage site

what is my first step to remove this virus or at least check for virus

Computer is crashing from my wireless internet connection and working really slow

also curser is doing weird things when I try to email

cheers rick

What reimage site?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Rickster58

Rickster58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:55 PM

reimage site that said it would do a free virus scan for me..... I read more up on it and reimage is a fake site that is actually harmfull
I not sure what is going on with computer but it is acting weird and crashing and running slow
what would be my first step on checking all my files to see what going on
I am going to try the first suggestion above and try the Norton bootable recovery tool
I tried the other Norton tool and it removed a time tracker that was installed How I don't know
Several people use my computer and I think my sons been doing weird bleep on here

Cheers Rick

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 August 2015 - 03:11 PM.
nm on the edit. I edited the wrong post

#5 Rickster58

Rickster58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

computer failed to download norton

#6 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:48 PM

Hello,

Ok you mean it failed to download the bootable recovery tool?

If so then that's not good maybe

here what you need to do before things get worse

1: If your files are backed up your good to go too (Factory Reset Your PC with your Factory Recovery Discs Or Recovery Partition that came with the PC:

If not then (Do not place any files on any external HDD as they could be infested you need to scan them first to scan them you need a antivirus program and you need to buy one I recommend "Norton Security")

Once you have Norton security on the PC then scan it and it will remove anything on the PC and protect you against further online dangers

Edited by 1029rjmenvy17t, 30 August 2015 - 02:50 PM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:24 PM

Rickster, based on your mention of "reimage" and "Several people use my computer and I think my sons been doing weird bleep on here" I moved your topic to Am I Infected?

I have also asked someone who helps in this area to look at this topic and assist you with finding out if the system is infected and if it is with cleaning it.

For now, hold off on downloading and installing Norton.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 August 2015 - 03:27 PM.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:46 PM

Use RKill to hopefully stop the malware from preventing you from downloading and installing security programs. DO NOT reboot after running RKill. Instead

attempt to download and install MBAM and run a scan with it. If MBAM is successfully run and asks to reboot...then reboot.

DO NOT attempt to install Norton at this time.

RKill Download Link Download Now iExplore.exe

RKill is a program that was developed at BleepingComputer.com that attempts to terminate known malware processes so that your normal security software can then run and clean your computer of infections. When RKill runs it will kill malware processes and then removes incorrect executable associations and fixes policies that stop us from using certain tools. When finished it will display a log file that shows the processes that were terminated while the program was running.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here 
Double-click mbam-setup-2.X.X.XXXX.exe to install the application (X's are the current version number).

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • Once MBAM opens, when it says Your databases are out of date, click the Fix Now button.
  • Click the Settings tab at the top, and then in the left column, select Detections and Protections, and if not already checked place a checkmark in the selection box for Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab at the top of the program window, select Threat Scan and click the Scan Now button.
  • If you receive a message that updates are available, click the Update Now button (the update will be downloaded, installed, and the scan will start).
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • If potential threats are detected, ensure that Quarantine is selected as the Action for all the listed items, and click the Apply Actions button.
  • While still on the Scan tab, click the link for View detailed log, and in the window that opens click the Export button, select Text file (*.txt), and save the log to your Desktop.
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can also be viewed by clicking the History tab and then selecting Application Logs.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:54 PM

Hello Rickster58

Yes since these people are much better at working with these kinds of things then me;

Please disregard at this time my info on Norton unless they tell you other wise.

Good luck! :thumbup2: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users