Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I switch off the Windows 10 upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Richard_Hankins

Richard_Hankins

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:26 AM

Folks,

I am running Win 7 x64 (Professional), and have decided not to upgrade to Win 10 at the moment.   I would rather wait until some of the bugs are ironed out.

However, I am unable to update my PC at all, without getting the Win 10 upgrade kicked off as well.   I have already looked into how the Win 10 upgrade is disabled - supposedly - and as far as I know followed all instructions.

So I have already uninstalled KB3035583.  And hidden it.   I have also spotted the "Win 10 upgrade" in the optional list, and deselected and hidden that.

None of that makes the slightest difference.  I am still stuck with the Win 10 upgrade, whichever other updates I select - and it won't go away.   See screengrab of my Windows Update window.

Anyone any ideas on this?

RichardAttached File  Win10_upgrade.JPG   40.02KB   2 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

Hi Richard_Hankins :)

Click on Show all available updates to see the Upgrade to Windows 10, then right-click on it and select Hide update. I know you did that, but do it again. Once done, click on Check for updates. Let me know what shows up.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 RVAH-12

RVAH-12

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:36 PM

Uninstall ANY of these updates:

KB2952664 Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
KB2990214 Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
KB3021917 Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
KB3022345 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3035583 Update installs get windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
KB3068708 (replaces KB3022345) Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3075249 Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
KB3080149 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry

Then make sure you have Automatic Updates turned OFF, or they will just reload them again.  If they come back a second time, just hide them, and scrutinize any new updates clicking on the More Information link in the Updates window.  But don't trust their explanations, ask around BEFORE you install them.

#4 Richard_Hankins

Richard_Hankins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:40 AM

Thanks for the replies both.

Aura - I don't get the precise wording you quote "Show all available updates", but if I do a "Check for updates", I get a list consisting of 24 important and 3 optional updates.   None of those were KB3035538 - probably because I have already uninstalled it and hidden it. 

RVAH-12 - I checked your list and only one of those was still in my updates list.  That was KB3068708 - which I uninstalled and then hid.    

So after all that, I did a restart, and the PC took a very long time to "reconfigure windows" - around 15 mins, which seems excessive just to remove one update.   It eventually completed, and the restart happened.    I then ran Windows Update again.   I now have 23 important and 3 optional updates.   No sign of anything related to Windows 10 (based on the list above).    However when I try and do those updates, I am still plagued with the Windows 10 download - screenshot enclosed.

And automatic updates are turned off.   

Richard

Attached File  Win10_downloanding.JPG   36.11KB   1 downloads

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:29 AM

Just to let you know that when I decided to pass on Windows 10, I just cancelled my reservation and it doesn't try to update anymore. The icon is still in my systray but I just ignore it. Though I know the icon might bother some, I am not among them.

#6 Richard_Hankins

Richard_Hankins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:31 AM

Yes, I wish it were that simple.   I don't have the icon in my systray.   I don't appear to have any of the Win 10 upgrades in my list of available upgrades.   But I still get the Win 10 download, whatever I do.

Richard

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:17 AM

This is what I mean Richard.

n14kcgr.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 ymb1010

ymb1010

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:48 PM

go to control panel click on notifications and icons in there you will see dwx get windows 10 you will see a tick box on right hand side click it and click on hide notifications and it will go

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:52 PM

Richard stated that he uninstalled the KB3035583, which means that the "Get Windows 10" app isn't on his system. And even if it was, your solution wouldn't stop the Windows 10 upgrade download via Windows Update, this is a different issue.

unite_blue.png

#10 Richard_Hankins

Richard_Hankins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:50 AM

Right - thanks for more ideas.

ymb1010 - I looked in the "Notification area icons" and found "GWX.exe" (which I think is what you meant).   I have hidden that notification - even though I wasn't seeing it in the notification area - just to be on the safe side.

Aura - I now see what you mean by "Show all available updates".  I no longer appear to have that particular screen available.    This is what I get now:

Attached File  WinUpdate-1.JPG   48.7KB   0 downloads

It shows a clearly limited selection of updates - none of which appear to have anything to do with Windows 10.  Certainly none of the ones in the RVAH's list are included.   If I then proceed I get this:

Attached File  WinUpdate-2.JPG   41.59KB   0 downloads

Shall I let the download take place and see what happens next?   Maybe I can stop it once I have the files?

Incidentally, I have the search tool "Everything" on my PC.  Seaches for "GWX" show up just some references in emails - no sign of "GWX.exe".    Searches for any of the KB numbers above turn up nothing either - though I know that may have no significance in practice.

And if you read the comments following this post you may note that a number of other people are describing exactly what I am seeing.   Can't get rid of Windows 10 - whatever is done to try and stop it.

Richard

#11 Richard_Hankins

Richard_Hankins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:11 AM

And a further update.   I let the "Windows 10" download run as I mentioned in my previous post.   Along with 6 upgrades I actually wanted for Windows 7.   That started at 08:35 and by 08.56 it was done - which seemed a bit fast for a 2+GB download.    I checked in the upgrade history and only the 6 upgrades I wanted were pending (i.e. waiting for a restart).

After the restart, there is no sign of Windows 10 anywhere - so it looks like a false alarm.   It says Windows 10 is downloading, but it isn't.   Indeed, when I looked for the temporary Win 10 download directory C:/$Windows.~BT there is no sign of it.   

So, it does look like all the recommendations you guys offered worked just fine.   It just looked like they didn't.......

Thanks all.

Richard

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:21 AM

Sorry I couldn't post before Richard, I was asleep. But yes this is normal. I noticed that behavior 3 weeks ago on my VMs. Even thought I unchecked and hid the Windows 10 upgrade update, Windows Update still downloaded the updates as if it was downloading the Windows 10 upgrade, but it didn't and only installed the updates I checked. Maybe it's a bug in the Windows Update client that will be fixed in a future update by Microsoft, I cannot really tell. But as long as the Windows 10 upgrade is unchecked, it won't download like that.

Glad to see that your issue has been solved :)

unite_blue.png

#13 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:34 PM

Glad you got it all straightened out Richard.  Just as some additional, I found the information here useful.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-get-windows-10-app-and-its-icon-from-taskbar/

Derfram
~~~~~~

#14 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:29 AM

Also useful for anyone who may stumble across this thread...

How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

I was able to block upgrade with Group Policy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users