Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time for a new Computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:23 AM

We currently have two computers..... a Dell Inspiron 530S - Vista Home Premium - 2.00 GB of RAM - 32-bit operating system, and a Dell Inspiron I6400 - Vista Business - 2.00 GB of RAM - 32-bit operating system.  Both of them are extremely slow and we seem to be having more and more issues with them.  Is it time for a new compter?  If so, what would you suggest?  Our needs are as follows:

- Family of four

- All member of the family have smartphones and/or ipads

- No gaming would be done on the computer

-  Computer would mainly be used for internet activity (google searches, checking email, paying bills etc). 

-  Computer would also be used to connect to a remote desktop connection for side job work (bookkeeping)

-  Also would be used to connect and build a blog/review site.

Ideally we'd like to keep costs down as we use smartphones and ipads more than the computer.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:44 AM

I always look at Newegg flash. Right now they have. http://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16834260714?icid=WP_5_08272015

That model looks like a pretty nice all around everyday laptop. Vista is pretty plet as it was built and ran like crap even on good machines if I remember correctly.  So the newegg flash laptop might be what you're looking for.

Those would be best for someone that doesn't need a lot of space either. At 160gb its good if you're a light user. I can barely use up my old 80gb ssd :P

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 30 August 2015 - 11:46 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#3 pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:35 PM

Thanks!  That's a great price.  I forgot to mention we also save photos and videos on the computer so I'm not sure the 160gb is enough (I believe that's what we had on the Dell 530s and it was nearly full).

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:17 PM

Not to talk you out of buying a new pc, but a good clean, and 4GB of RAM would be dirt cheap and make both those pc's run much better.  Might help to post the exact pc in question.  Like what type of cpu, if it is a Dual Core or single Core.  What type of cache does the cpu Core Have?  Here is an example at cnet: http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-530s-pentium-e2160-1-8-ghz-2-gb-320-gb-lcd-17/specs/

If you have a Recovery Partion or some Recovery Disks and some more RAM you are all set for a little longer, just an idea seeing you mentioned money being an issue.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

Thanks. I checked and this is the processor I have:

PROCESSOR, E6550, 2.33, 4MB, CORE DUO-CONROE

I also found out I have these too:

Hard Drive, 320G, S2, 7.2K, 16M Unleaded, Seagate-GL
Kit, Compact Diskette, Driver, OUGA5/OPGA5, 2

DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 1G, 667M, 128X64, 8, 240, 2RX8
CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, 2400, PROFESSIONAL, LOOP, OUGA5

Edited by pmsmith2032, 30 August 2015 - 07:24 PM.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,120 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

I always look at Newegg flash. Right now they have. http://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16834260714?icid=WP_5_08272015

That model looks like a pretty nice all around everyday laptop. Vista is pretty plet as it was built and ran like crap even on good machines if I remember correctly.  So the newegg flash laptop might be what you're looking for.

Those would be best for someone that doesn't need a lot of space either. At 160gb its good if you're a light user. I can barely use up my old 80gb ssd :P

Wow that is a good deal! and, I love those pc's.  It does have a small HDD for the OP but not for me lol.  I have been warned to stay away from Refurbished pc's, so I would find out who did the work.  It alludes that it was done by HP but not really.  The size of Screen is small also 14.1.  Very tempting, if it was a 15.6 I would consider it myself.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,120 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

Sorry, I am a bit of a noob myself-but that is a fast cpu there as far as I can tell.  Some of the other stuff I don't understand.  

Harddrive looks good too!

DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 1G, 667M, 128X64, 8, 240, 2RX8
CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, 2400, PROFESSIONAL, LOOP, OUGA5 

Not completely sure about this.  If you want to continue making this pc faster you could start another thread in the Vista Section.  And you could post a Speccy Chart, like this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

It almost looks as though you have a 64bit system with a 32bit OS.  And maybe even only 1GB of RAM?  Please get some help before buying RAM though, as you can get it wrong.

Hope this helps 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:57 PM

this is what I use.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-desktop-intel-core-i5-12gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-gray/8584021.p?id=1219350937522&skuId=8584021

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users