Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No video from PCI-E Video card. Onboard only.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JesusRamirez44

JesusRamirez44

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:45 AM

I have an AsRock P4i945GC motherboard being used in a system for a younger sibling (speccy report). I was hoping to use an hd 5450 for the system but there isn't any video being outputted from the video card and is instead being displayed from the onboard GMA 950. I installed the latest bios update that added support for ati 5xxx video card but it still doesn't work. Thinking the PCI-E slot might be bad, I then put in my GTX 645 and the system shows video from the video card. I pulled the card out and switched it for a hd 4670 and like the 5450 there was no video either. Pulling the CMOS battery and factory resetting the board had no effect and I don't know why the nvidia card worked but 2 amd cards didnt. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:24 PM

can you boot up into safe mode? typically it is the f8 key when you see the initial splash screen....if you don't get the boot options=safe mode screen. then the safe mode has to be activated with msconfig.    that is where you want to use the device manager to uninstall the old nvidia card, power down, then install the amd card, boot up into safe mode, check the device manager to see if the amd card  shows up in the display adapter, if it is there then you can install the amd drivers and reboot into the native windows and the AMD card should be fine then.

resettting the BIOS is a typical solution after there is the power-down using the power button which is quite common when the user gets no display.. that corrupts the BIOS and a reset is imminent. you know the BIOS is reset when you boot up and the BIOS prompts you for the time setting first thing. if it doesn't, then the reset didn't pass muster.

i would believe that you don't have to manually set the motherboard to use the PCIe slot for display instead of the onboard video in the BIOS, most of the time, it is automatic.. but i could be wrong. if i am , then you can enter the BIOS and look for the setting "Enable PEG"

Edited by synergy513, 30 August 2015 - 03:29 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 JesusRamirez44

JesusRamirez44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:19 PM

When I boot into windows device manager shows only the onboard gpu on device manager as if there was nothing in the PCI-E slot. Onboard gets disabled when there's a video card on the PCI-E slot based on the motherboard manual so yeah it's automatic. It's still blowing my mind that the motherboard doesnt detect the amd cards but it was fine with an nvidia.

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:47 PM

yes yes, i read where you did the BIOS update to get the PCIe to recognize AMD hardware....i feel some googling coming on....

i see that mobo is still somewhat supported with chipset drivers available. the intel proprietary chipset drivers could be out-of date..

the chipset (northbridge) is your motherboard communication channel between the cpu and the PCIe slot, and they aren't nvidia proprietary like i have seen from that era

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P4i945GC/index.asp?cat=

can you try to power down and dislodge one RAM stick, i think your 32 bit OS is clogging up with the vram on the AMD card

Edited by synergy513, 30 August 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#5 JesusRamirez44

JesusRamirez44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:49 PM

I removed one 2GB stick leaving the system with 2GB of RAM and placed the hd 5450 in the PCI-E slot. Video was still outputting out of the onboard and not the video card. As expected windows still didn't detect a video card in the PCI-E slot. Thanks for the continued help also!

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:38 AM

ok, i was thinking that the 4gb max i/o in a 32-bit windows was not jiving with your 4gb ram + the amd card. ok, so in safe mode, it isn't showing up in device manager. did you try the chipset driver udate?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P4i945GC/?cat=Download&os=All

i really prefer not to proclaim "dead card" as i always believe that there is something else not cinfigured right  up to get the desired result. but this may be the case if it isn't showing up in device manager while booting up in safe mode. you can try to use the card in another PC if possible, that is all to common method to check for dead hardware...

and you tried uninstalling the nvidia card using the device manager in safe mode also?  that could be what is wrong, you have to fool the motherboard into believing there never was a card in there at all, using safe mode. go to control panel and uninstall any nvidia provision populated there, then go to your win7 command line , type msconfig, click on the startup tab and analyze anything there nvidia related., then uncheck any related items. power down, reboot-safe mode with the 5450 installed, and if that doesn't do the trick, we may wind down to the dead hardware conclusion

#7 JesusRamirez44

JesusRamirez44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:33 PM

After doing the steps provided I really hoped it would've worked but it didn't. The cards aren't dead (amd ones) I know that for sure as they work on my pc. I appreciate the help as always man but I think the last thing I could do is find a cheap nvidia card for the system that is better than the onboard GMA 950.

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:35 AM

thats allright. hopefully, in the future if you are confronted with this kind of thing, you will be better prepared to diagnose. i just went through the blank display thing myself when i was trying to clone my x58 PC HDD with acronis and it just got snagged into infinity, had to power it down the hard way, booted back up, no display....had to reset the motherboard jumper bridge and whammo, good as new with the display., i learned to not use acronis apparently after the EaseUS ToDo did the job painlessly.

oh yes. one more thing,   a good rule of thumb that i use to determine if a card is good or not, is that initial splash screen upon power-up, that is coming directly from the motherboard firmware through the card before windows or the card drivers ever enter the arena, if that splash screen shows up, the card is good. if the blank display thing happens after that, then windows or the card drivers or both  just aren't configured right or sometimes the case may be a hardware handshake didn't complete

Edited by synergy513, 01 September 2015 - 03:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users