Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony All-in-one, Windows 10, TV tuner not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 weekendgeek

weekendgeek

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:35 AM

Hello!

I was given an old Sony all-in-one a little while ago.  It's a Sony VAIO VGC-LT32E, 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo, 3GB ram, 300GB HDD.  I have upgraded it from Vista to 7 and then the upgrade to 10.  It is working great, runs super fast and I'm really pleased beside one big problem.  It has a built in HDTV/ATSC jack, I would love you be able to use it to watch tv (cable direct from wall, no DVR).  I don't need to be able to record or do anything fancy just be able to use it as a TV.  I have tried MediaPortal and Kodi but I can't seem to get either to work.  I'm not sure exactly what I should be trying or even if this is possible.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!   

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:24 AM

Are you saying that your cable service...does not employ a set-top box?

The connection must be from cable to box to either/both TV/system, I believe.  You can split the signal to each, if you like.

Louis

#3 weekendgeek

weekendgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:55 PM

Are you saying that your cable service...does not employ a set-top box?

The connection must be from cable to box to either/both TV/system, I believe.  You can split the signal to each, if you like.

Louis

Correct, my cable jack is simply wall mounted.  For the other TV's in the house they simply plug into the cable jack and get both SD and some HD channels.  I can't seem to find an app or program to allow the All-in-one to read the signal. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:05 AM

My understanding (which is limited to Time Warner Cable) is that you need either a set-top-box or a coded cable-card to decrypt any cable signal transmitted directly by wire...research shows that Comcast has done the same thing.  It's been that way for months now.

I suggest that you contact your ISP about the proper way to configure your system to operate as you desire.

FWIW:  Cable System Encryption

Louis

#5 weekendgeek

weekendgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:09 PM

Thank you! I'll give them a call!

0 user(s) are reading this topic