Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M problem in HP Envy dv7

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shley

shley

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:59 PM

Hello,

Please reference the thread below.  There are 7 pages and the last page gives a good opinion of probable causes to this issue.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/586865/slow-browser-video-skips-and-other-strange-behaviors/page-1

The Nvidia driver is not working properly on this laptop.  Look at the history in the thread to understand the details and prior attempts to solve this problem.  Malware is rule out.  It could be a bad video card.  I need help getting to the root cause of the issue.

Thank you.

Shley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:55 AM

I did not read through all 7 pages but a couple of things. When you uninstalled Kaskersky did the stuttering go away? If it did then you have a latency issue with the Kaspersky firewall. Also, did you update the Nvidia driver from Nvidia's website. Your computer has hybrid or switchable graphics which means it has two graphics chip sets in the computer, one being Nvida and the other probably intel. This would require a driver only available on Hp's site.

I believe your computer being newer has dynamic switchable graphics with dynamically switch depending on how graphic intensive something is. It is possible to set it to Nvidia but your battery life will be lower.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02731962

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03519217

Do you get the lag when using only one chipset?

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 August 2015 - 08:16 AM.

#3 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

When I uninstalled Kaspersky, everything on the Internet was faster.  I am not 100% sure about video but maybe I do have a latency issue there.  Is there a fix to that or workaround that way?

As far as I can tell about updating NVidia drivers, there are four places: HP website (or through the HP Support Assistant), NVidia GeForce software, NVidia website, and MS Windows update.  Originally, I know I had received at least one from the GeForce program and it installed fine.  That was some time ago.  Since then any upgrade from that program says it installed successfully but it did not.  Then I went to HP to install upgrade without success.  I tried uninstalling everything, etc. and it still doesn't seem to be taking.

I did paste in a Reply comment from a NVidia tech somewhere in the pages in the other thread.  He was supporting your theory about a "dual" (or maybe dynamic) feature.  All of this stuff is confusing to me.  What is most frustrating is that I do not really need or want high processing for games or the like.  I just want to play normal videos, mainly of an educational nature, for work.  It just doesn't make sense it would be this complicated.  But as my faithful servant in the other thread mentioned, maybe my card is bad?  If it is bad, would it work at all?

Thanks for your support!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

In the second link I posted it shows how to select one chipset vs having it change dynamically. Have you tried selecting the intel chipset?

I went to the support site and it shows two separate Nvidia drivers with two different version numbers but same date of Aug 17 2015 which is confusing. But, the drivers listed are only shown to be for Windows 8 and not 8.1. 

Right click the intel display adapter in Device Manager, select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line. 

As far as the Kaspersky issue, I think you would get a better response on the Kaspersky Forum site. Does Kaspersky give you the option to disable the included Firewall? 

#5 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:59 AM

No, I did not read all of it because it had to do with a different computer than mine...

Yes, HP only allows you to select Windows 8, not Windows 8.1 (after making the selection for Windows).  You are correct with that. 

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&SUBSYS_181D103C&REV_09
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&SUBSYS_181D103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&CC_0300

I am not sure about the options with Total Security.  I was more familiar with Pure 3.0.  I'll call them up and ask once this other issue is resolved.

Thanks!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:29 PM

What is strange, the drivers are dated Aug 7 2015 but under details they are dated 2012 for the intel drivers. 

I would create a restore point and download the intel driver for 8.1 here. You want the first one listed, the exe file. This drive is updated for 8.1 but I can't say it will improve the problem. But first, did you try selecting using the intel driver only as I requested? See my second link. Pick use intel only. Does that help the problem?

You want to select Integrated Graphics at this Window.

c03735151.jpg

#7 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:59 PM

The NVidia Control Panel is not working.  See screen shot.

I'll wait to do anything else until you say.

Attached Files

#8 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:01 PM

Note: I don't know if this means anything.... I have an Intel Graphics and Media program - I am not sure of that came from HP or Intel...

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:21 PM

It probably came with the HP but it is an intel program. I went to Nvidia's site and found drivers for GT630M. The driver does not support notebooks with Hybrid technology but notebooks with Optimus technology is supported. The question is whether your computer uses Optimus or Hybrid. Both are similar.

From this HP review it seems the dv7 does indeed use Optimus technology so the driver here should work. Dated 8/31/2015. Make sure your current Nvidia driver is uninstalled first. In control panel are there any other Nvidia drivers listed besides the graphics driver? If you see Nvida Control Panel there I would also uninstall it. After the driver install boot the computer and see if you can access the Nvida control panel. If it still does not open then I am out of ideas unfortunately.

Personally, I try to avoid any laptop that have these dual GPUs. 

#10 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:54 PM

So on August 8th, after I sent NVidia Hardware IDs, he sent me back the following:

Thank you for the update and I appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting the issue.
As per the provided info, I see that the notebook supports the Hybrid technology and unfortunately our driver is not compatible with the Hybrid notebook. I request you to kindly contact the laptop manufacturer to get the supporting display driver. If issue persists, then you would need to get the laptop tested and replaced based upon the warranty.
Please get in touch with us, if you need further assistance and I would be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Yugendar,
NVIDIA Customer Care

So he's saying it is a hybrid (at that time I didn't know what that meant).  But here's the thing.. it used to be just fine!

In the Control Panel, I see NVidia Graphics Driver 331.65  and  NVidia Update 1.15.2.  I am not sure why the Update is there; I chose not to install it while installing the driver on the 29th.

I will:
Uninstall Nvidia driver - and without restarting I will...

Uninstall both programs from Control Panel

Install the Optimus and cross my fingers!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:07 PM

Yes, fingers crossed. The whole thing is kind of a mess as the OEM drivers do not support 8.1, only 8, and they were last updated in 2012.

#12 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:23 PM

No, it didn't work.  I think the whole thing is really messed up.  I installed the new driver but I think it is showing the old one.  Then Windows update didn't help it.  Now Intel is updating.  I think I will need to go back and send this into HP and plan on them restoring it back to factory settings, unfortunately. 

Thanks for your help just the same.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:37 AM

Sorry we could not solve the problem. You do not have to send it back to HP to do a factory reset if you recovery partition is intact.

You can also do what is called a Refresh in Windows 8 that will reset the system but leave your personal info intact. You would need to install any programs though. Reset can also be done but it would reset everything back to a factory state. You would need to backup your personal info and bookmarks. Also email if you use an email client.

http://www.howtogeek.com/75901/how-to-use-refresh-and-reset-in-windows-8-to-easily-reinstall-your-pc/

http://www.howtogeek.com/132428/everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

Edit: You can confirm if this is a hardware failure by booting a live linux DVD like Ubuntu or Mint. If your computer issues go away then we know there is some type of software issue and doing a reset or refresh would be the way to go.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 September 2015 - 09:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users