Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help: Can't Delete Or Remove The Files Under "temp" Folder

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 megamyx

megamyx

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:55 AM

hi ppl! as you've seen from the title, need help on deleting Temporary Internet files folder located inside Temp folder of Windows XP. my computer just doesn't let me remove the files; i want to clean & empty the Temp folder frequently. i'm using Windows XP SP1.

by the way, before i encountered this problem, my machine got infected by Trojan Horse Generic.Vox, Wareout, Kill&Clean. After solving & recovering from the infection, my machine just doesn't allow me to delete the Temporary Internet Files folder. When i tried manually removing the files inside Temporary Internet Files folder, some files were removed but some were not permitted for deletion, when i tried right clicking the undeletable files the only options it showed were Open & Send To, it doesn't show any delete option. I even tried using KillBox to delete the directory, but no success.

As for the solution i used to recover from the malware infection (this is just a summary, too long to write everything): used HijackThis, Fixwareout, aboutBuster, cws-hsa reg, ad aware, spybot S&D, ewido, AVG antivirus, bitdefender online scan, panda online scan, deleted some malware exe's & registry, sfc /scannow, scanned in safe mode.

anyway, i hope somebody could help me soon. if i posted this topic in the wrong section, please let me know & move it to the right section.

Lastly, may i know how to prevent and avoid my machine from getting infected by wareout, Generic.Vox & the likes?

Edited by megamyx, 15 July 2006 - 08:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Koc

Koc

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:26 AM

Hello megamyx and welcome to BC forums !

1) Did you try deleting The Temporary Internet files folder in safe mode?

Reboot your computer and press F8 right after memory count, pick safe mode.

2) I suggest that you Post a Hijackthis log in here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
So the Hijackthis experts can take a look at your log :thumbsup:

#3 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:22 PM

I don't bother cleaning junk files (of which temporary files stored in my temp folder are included), but instead I use the CCleaner; it clears out the temp folder and main more non-essential areas; however, if you've already posted a HJT log for analysis you SHOULD NOT tamper with/alter your computer in anyways unless advised by the HJT designate helping you.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#4 megamyx

megamyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:44 AM

Hello megamyx and welcome to BC forums !

1) Did you try deleting The Temporary Internet files folder in safe mode?

Reboot your computer and press F8 right after memory count, pick safe mode.

2) I suggest that you Post a Hijackthis log in here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
So the Hijackthis experts can take a look at your log :thumbsup:

thanks! it's a pleasure to be in this forum. & to your question, yes, i rebooted in safe mode when deleting the files. but that was before i had online scans. by the way, i tried "cleanmgr" to delete & cleanup some files just a few hours ago, it got stucked scanning for compressed old files until now, but when i checked task manager the status is running. so am confused & about to cancel the cleanup. just wondering why it got stucked? anybody?

i've just posted my Hijackthis log in that link.

Elendil, thanks for the info. i'll try it out later.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:03 AM

i've just posted my Hijackthis log in that link. Elendil, thanks for the info. i'll try it out later.

As Elendil also said "you SHOULD NOT tamper with/alter your computer".

By this we mean you should not install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files on your own, etc. unless advised by a HJT Team member. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modification you make may complicate the malware removal process and could lead to your system being damaged further.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 megamyx

megamyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:18 AM

to quietman : okay, actually i haven't manually tampered the folder since my first post of this thread. only tried disk cleanup, but nothing happened & was stucked at scanning on compressed files for a long time. & i only downloaded ccleaner but have yet to install it.

i'm actually waiting for HJT team members' reply on my post in Hijackhis logs & analysis section of the forum. maybe you could help me. it's entitled "probably infected by generic.vox......".

Edited by megamyx, 16 July 2006 - 10:20 AM.

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:27 AM

to quietman : okay, actually i haven't manually tampered the folder since my first post of this thread. only tried disk cleanup, but nothing happened & was stucked at scanning on compressed files for a long time.

Compress old files does just that.
It compresses files that haven't been used for a while.
Even some that have been.
They usually turn BLUE after being compressed...
Windows will uncompress them on the fly as needed.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#8 megamyx

megamyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:25 PM

oic, :thumbsup:

medab1, you mean it'll take a long time to run cleanmgr before i could delete some files? so, i should let it stay like that until it shows me the files that can be deleted?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users