Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"​Google to hit pause on Flash ads in Chrome on September 1", via ZDNet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:16 PM

Google will hammer one more nail in Flash's coffin with a feature that will soon prevent many Flash ads from displaying in Chrome desktop.

The feature was rolled out to Chrome beta in June and will become generally available on September 1. While Google won't block Flash in Chrome outright, it will only allow it to play "central content" like videos while pausing peripheral content such as Flash animations.

Google said yesterday that the feature will mean "pausing many Flash ads". Chrome users will be able to choose to run the Flash ads if they want, but they'll need to manually enable that in Chrome's content settings.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-to-hit-pause-on-flash-ads-in-chrome-on-september-1/

Flash's decline is starting, this is only the beginning. Malware spreaders are one step closer to saying "bye bye" to one attack vector.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

This is excellent news, drive-by infections are going to become quite a lot rarer, and with chrome (Which I think is the most popular browser in use) blocking flash adverts by default we can expect advertisers to give up on flash adverts and swithc to another delivery method, hopefully a less exploitable* one. However one wonders, if google is putting flash ad blocking into chrome, how will they be showing the advrts which they make most of their money from delivering? Will all google's ad networks switch to being based on html 5 videos or seomthing, maybe we'll be really lucky and they'll all switch to being simple, unexploitable text and images.

*"exploitable" in this post meaning: able to deliver exploits

Edited by rp88, 31 August 2015 - 11:38 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:54 AM

From the article:

As for advertisers that use Google's AdWords, Google is already helping them move away from Flash by automatically converting Flash to HTML5.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:05 PM

I've already disabled flash on all my browsers. All the websites I go to work just like before, but I think some of the ads don't play anymore.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:51 PM

New article on Naked Security.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/08/31/google-chrome-will-block-flash-from-tomorrow-well-sort-of/

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users