Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 does not appear to boot from recently installed SSD.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Critagon

Critagon

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:18 PM

Hello everyone, I have a very frustrating problem I hope you can assist me with. 

I recently installed a Samsung 850 Evo SSD into my second free available drive slot. I also have an HDD which originally came with the computer and has Windows 10 on it. I cloned by HDD (C: Drive) onto my new SSD using this tool. I have uploaded a picture of my Disk Manager so you can see the partitions. After cloning, I entered my UEFI settings (which is very difficult to access on Windows 10 for some reason) and changed the boot order and boot priorities to favor my SSD.  (If you need pictures of the boot interface I can provide.) AHCI mode is also activated. When I boot, however, the Computer boots with the HDD and not the SSD. I am not sure what to do anymore and I have done extensive research online. I don't have a disc with any Windows OS on it so cloning is my only option. Any help would be appreciated and please tell me if you require more information.

Thanks!  :)

P.S. This is the guide I used for the Windows migration.

Edit: Added more images.

Attached Files

Edited by Critagon, 29 August 2015 - 08:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:52 PM

Hello Critagon and :welcome:

As you probably observed from your left-most PNG, the destination SSD was not made bootable, as witnessed by the absence of a boot block, by the transfer utility.

HTH

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 Critagon

Critagon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:58 PM

Hey, thanks for the welcome!

How would I go about fixing this issue? Should I try a different transfer utility? 

Edited by hamluis, 02 September 2015 - 11:44 AM.

#4 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

Hello Critagon:

I too moved a system off a larger/original HDD and onto a smaller Samsung 850 Pro where I found the then included Samsung Data Migration utility was too under-featured to deal with unequal sized drives.

I then turned to the free version of Macrium's Reflect where I performed an image transfer (as opposed to a image for Windows backup/restore) followed by the immediate removal of the original HDD for system safety. The result was a perfect combination of a bootable drive with three perfectly usable partitions.

HTH :)

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#5 Critagon

Critagon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:38 PM

Alright, I'll try that tomorrow and provide an update.

Edited by hamluis, 02 September 2015 - 11:44 AM.

#6 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:47 PM

Hello Critagon:

FYI - I am reluctant to have you generate a boot block with a utility just in case you had something special going on in the original HDD one.

Cheers.

#7 Critagon

Critagon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:59 PM

Hey 1PW thanks for the help!

I tried that program you suggested but unfortunately I could not get it to work. So I turned back to the Samsung Data Migration tool after reformatting the SSD and it surprisingly worked. I am not sure why it decided to work now, but it has. The earlier cloning software I tired must have malfunctioned. 

My problem is effectively solved.

Thanks again!  :thumbup2:

#8 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:06 PM

Hello Critagon:

Congratulations!

If you have not dealt with Samsung Magician before, you will want to study the various settings to experience dramatic improvement in performance beyond where your system is now.

Evidently Samsung found it necessary to fallback to version 4.4 of Magician after having been to both versions 4.5 and 4.6.

Edit: Samsung has released Magician 4.7 now.

Cheers :)

Edited by 1PW, 31 August 2015 - 02:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users