Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Randomly Shuts Down In Photoshop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jimmyink

jimmyink

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:53 AM

I am having an extremely frustrating time with my laptop for the last few months now and can't take it anymore. Thought i'd get an outside opinion before splashing out on getting a pro to check it, as I know HP will ask for a limb if i need to buy a specific part from them.

When i'm using photoshop CS2 (9.0.1) on larger than average images it will simply turn off without warning. No "windows is shutting" down, not even a slight warning, just turns off like some one pulling the power chord out on a tv set.

I did notice that it mostly happens when the scratch info at the bottom is greater on the left than the right. It can happen while doing anything from Resizing, Copying, Pasting, Filters and Moving an image.

e.g. Scratch: 721.5M/680.4M

Here are my specs:

HP zd7000 Laptop
Pentium 4 3.2GHz
Ram - 1GB
Video Card - NVidea GeForce FX Go5700 64MB
80GB Hard Drive (12GB free)

Any ideas or thoughts would be very much appreciated. A solution would be even nicer...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:14 AM

Hi jimmyink, welcome to BC.

I did notice that it mostly happens when the scratch info at the bottom is greater on the left than the right.

Open Photoshop and click Edit>Prefrences>Memory & Image Cache.
I would set it to no more then 55%. If you're already there or lower, let us know.
You will need to close and re-open PS for the changes to take effect.
If you still have a system shutdown, it sounds more like a heat or graphics controller issue.

Edited by HitSquad, 15 July 2006 - 09:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users