Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

testing ram on an older motherboard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ksinley

ksinley

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:20 PM

Hello, I have just recently bought ram online, this is the ram i got

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231672

(i got it at a good deal at $75)

I want to test it out when i get it.  But the only 64 bit desktop that i could test it on is an older ACER pc that has windows 7 home edition,  and it has this motherboard  Acer Aspire  X1420G

I just want to test the ram to make sure its not DOA,  would it be possible?  I am not sure if it could handle 2400 mhz but even if it cant, could i safely run it and test to make sure that it works on the pc without damaging anything?

the CPU is an AMD Athlon II X4 645

If for whatever reason that I cant,  what would be a good way to test the RAM so if i get a DOA as soon as i get it, then I can return it with no problems? 

Main reason im asking is I am building a computer and I still need to get the CPU which i plan on getting the i7 4790k,  and a good graphics card, but when they go on sale so i can stay at a decently budget price,  I also need to get a good motherboard,  if you guys can come up with suggestions on that, please let me know,  my budget for a motherboard is around $100 - $150, if its a lil more over budget but very superior then i may choose that as well.

I already have the tower case, which is a full sized tower, 500 GB SSD,  and a 1 TB hard drive for backup.

I also bought a ground hand strap so i dont possibly fry any circuits :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:10 PM

Ram is mother board specific, it needs to be tested on the mother board that it will be used on.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:16 PM

Looks like your motherboard supports the DDR3 type of ram you bought just not the frequency. So you should be able to test it, it just will just run at a lower frequency.

#4 ksinley

ksinley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:13 PM

alright, and yes it does support ddr3, i just would like a quick testing thing to make sure its not dead, and if it is, then i can more easily speak with customer service than waiting months and months and finding out then

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users