Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Guest/admin account help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 xfieldmedic

xfieldmedic

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:10 PM

Good afternoon.

I was sent here from someone suggesting this site as a means to address my problem. I upgraded to windows 10 from a copy of windows 7 I have about 4 or 5 days ago. Yesterday I tried installing a new program and it prompted me for the admin password before I could click yes to continue with the intallation. I tried going to the UAC options to get by, but I need the admin password to continue. Here I see, also, that my account is a guest account. I'm not sure why this would be since it's the only account I have on the computer at all. I'm pretty sure I know the admin password (one of three or four passwords I use), but I'm not sure where to try them to check. When I'm prompted to enter it, there's no input field that I can see (tried to take screen shot, but it doesn't seem to like that when it's in the screen dimmed UAC mode thing).

Can anyone throw me a bone and help me figure out what's going on here? I can supply system specs or other information if you should need them.

Thanks for your time,

-xFieldMedic

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:07 PM

I’m not familiar with Windows 10 yet but my observations are

The reason you are being asked for an admin password is because you are not logged in as an admin account as you noticed you are in a Guest account

--- Have you tried Switch user so you can log in to your admin account?

On the snapshot you posted, check Manage another account

--- You will see your admin account show up

You can also check out

Windows 10: How to set up and configure users accounts

http://www.howtogeek.com/224847/how-to-set-up-and-configure-user-accounts-on-windows-10/

How to View Full Details of All User Accounts in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3443-user-account-details-view-windows-10-a.html

How to Check if User is a Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5387-local-account-microsoft-account-how-tell-windows-10-a.html

#3 xfieldmedic

xfieldmedic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:45 PM

I’m not familiar with Windows 10 yet but my observations are

The reason you are being asked for an admin password is because you are not logged in as an admin account as you noticed you are in a Guest account

--- Have you tried Switch user so you can log in to your admin account?

On the snapshot you posted, check Manage another account

--- You will see your admin account show up

You can also check out

Windows 10: How to set up and configure users accounts

http://www.howtogeek.com/224847/how-to-set-up-and-configure-user-accounts-on-windows-10/

How to View Full Details of All User Accounts in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3443-user-account-details-view-windows-10-a.html

How to Check if User is a Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5387-local-account-microsoft-account-how-tell-windows-10-a.html

When I sign out, I only see the option of signing back into my account, so I'm not sure how to access my admin account that way.

I can't manage another account because I don't know how to enter my admin password into the UAC popup. That's my main concern with this whole issue. If I could simply figure out what I'm doing wrong in order to just enter the password itself, then I can work from there.

As for the first link you posted, I already tried to swap between local and microsoft accounts and it didn't make any difference at all for entereing the admin password. Sign in options don't make a difference nor does the picture section.

I'm looking at the second link and will try it in just a minute.

EDIT: I just tried it and I see that the admin account is disabled. I'll see if I can enableit somehow(?) and go from there maybe.

EDIT: I can't run cmd as admin to activate the admin account. I get system error 5 when I try and run the command "net user administrator /active:yes" telling me access is denied.

I definitely need to figure out how to enter the admin password. Any tips for that or am I just being dumb?

I already tried the local/mincrosoft account swap and it didn't help.

Thanks for your reply,

-xFieldMedic

Edited by xfieldmedic, 29 August 2015 - 05:55 PM.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,613 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:06 PM

“Yesterday I tried installing a new program and it prompted me for the admin password before I could click yes to continue with the installation.”

--- Did you have similar problems when running Windows 7?

--- Did your admin account run ok and did it have a password?

Anyway can you do a System Restore prior to the time you attempted to install that new program?

--- If you can I want to believe you will be able to use your normal admin account like you did in Windows 7 so you can move on from here

Here are some additional comments based on what you are up against now

“Here I see, also, that my account is a guest account.”

--- This tells me when you start the computer, you are logging in to a Guest account

--- Is this the case?

--- If so, does this Guest account have a password? EDIT: I just noticed it is password protected

During the last few days, were you using an admin account?

On the “"net user administrator /active:yes" telling me access is denied.”

--- This makes sense since you are supposed to be doing that from your admin account using the appropriate password if there is one

On my comment: “On the snapshot you posted, check Manage another account

--- You will see your admin account show up”

Your comment: “I can't manage another account because I don't know how to enter my admin password into the UAC popup.”

--- I haven’t been able to find anything yet that reasonably addresses this issue

On the “screen dimmed UAC mode” it appears to me like Secure Desktop is enabled.

--- Another topic to research

Edited by cmptrgy, 29 August 2015 - 08:38 PM.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,613 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:39 PM

How to Change User Account Control (UAC) Settings in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3577-user-account-control-uac-change-settings-windows-10-a.html#option2

It appears your UAC setting is:

Always notify me (recommended)

When you're notified, your screen will be dimmed, and you must either approve or deny the request in the UAC dialog box before you can do anything else on your PC.

--- So this addresses your comment “screen dimmed UAC mode

Standard users will be prompted to enter an administrator's password to approve.

--- I know we both know this but I don’t want to miss having it available

The default setting is

Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (default)

Your screen will be dimmed isn’t noted in this section

--- That is why I think your UAC setting is set to Always notify me (recommended)

Check out Option Two steps 3 or 4

With all of that said though, I still don’t why you can’t log in as an admin like you did in Windows 7

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,613 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:01 PM

This looks like a good one even though it’s for Windows 7 but I hope you know the password that’s needed

UAC Pop-up with No Password Box? http://forums.techgage.com/showthread.php?t=5455

To prevent this issue from happening, or to fix it, you’ll have to go into the Start menu and right-click “Computer”, and then “Manage”. From there, go to the “Local Users and Groups” menu and then into “Users”. From there, you’ll see all of the user accounts on the PC, including Administrator. Double-click that one, and uncheck “Account is disabled”.

#7 xfieldmedic

xfieldmedic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:55 PM

“Yesterday I tried installing a new program and it prompted me for the admin password before I could click yes to continue with the installation.”
--- Did you have similar problems when running Windows 7?
--- Did your admin account run ok and did it have a password?

Anyway can you do a System Restore prior to the time you attempted to install that new program?
--- If you can I want to believe you will be able to use your normal admin account like you did in Windows 7 so you can move on from here

Here are some additional comments based on what you are up against now

“Here I see, also, that my account is a guest account.”
--- This tells me when you start the computer, you are logging in to a Guest account
--- Is this the case?
--- If so, does this Guest account have a password? EDIT: I just noticed it is password protected
During the last few days, were you using an admin account?

On the “"net user administrator /active:yes" telling me access is denied.”
--- This makes sense since you are supposed to be doing that from your admin account using the appropriate password if there is one

On my comment: “On the snapshot you posted, check Manage another account
--- You will see your admin account show up”
Your comment: “I can't manage another account because I don't know how to enter my admin password into the UAC popup.”
--- I haven’t been able to find anything yet that reasonably addresses this issue

On the “screen dimmed UAC mode” it appears to me like Secure Desktop is enabled.
--- Another topic to research

I didn't have any issues, but I only had windows 7 for about 2 days I ran all installs before I upgraded without hitch. I got a new hard drive and windows copy because my old one died. I didn't have a password set up at all on windows 7.

I don't think a system restore will do much of anything as I haven't changed any setting at all.

When I start the computer, I am logging into a guest account (only account I can log into). I've been using the same account since I upgraded to winows 10. it's the same account from windows 7.

I can't change the settings for UAC until I find out how to enter the password for the admin account.

Your last post hit it on the nose. That's what's happening to me. (see picture) I can't manage the computer because it prompts me for a password. I'm gonna try for a safe-mode start and see if that helps at all.

Attached Files

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,613 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:27 AM

When you get into Local Users and Guides and select Users you should have at least 3 accounts: Administrator, Guest and your local admin account. Do you have that?

#9 xfieldmedic

xfieldmedic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

I tried safe mode restart and it didn't change anything. I contacted microsoft support (so many hours wasted) and they said it was a registry error from the upgrade to windows 10. I needed to purchase premium suppor to do 'offline advanced troubleshooting' to try and address the problem. I simply wiped my ssd and reinstalled windows. I'll just upgrade back to windows 10 once I get prompted.

When you get into Local Users and Guides and select Users you should have at least 3 accounts: Administrator, Guest and your local admin account. Do you have that?

On one of the sites you linked, I used a command (wmic useraccount list full) in cmd and found all of the accounts on my copmputer. They were all of the ones that were supposed to be there: elevated admin, technical preview user account, guest, homegroup access, and my user.

Thanks a ton for your help, but I think the error wasn't fixable if it was a registry problem since I couldn't enter my password to edit the registry. I really appreciate all of your hard work. I'll definitely come back for any other questions i have in the future!

-xFieldMedic

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,941 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:04 PM

I am not sure it will work on Windows 10 but you can enable the Administrator Account using a boot disk as shown in this guide.  The guide shows an earlier version of the program. You can get the latest one here. Once it is enabled you can create another account. I am not sure how the admin account has a password if you did not have one previously. You may need to provide a password for the hidden Administrator account. If that does not work, you can use the boot disk to reset it.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!
If password is reset on users that have EFS encrypted files, and the system is XP or newer, all encrypted files for that user will be UNREADABLE! and cannot be recovered unless you remember the old password again
 If you don't know if you have encrypted files or not, you most likely don't have them. (except maybe on corporate systems)

I am not sure if Windows 10 encrypts your files by default if you login with a Microsoft account. Make sure they are not encrypted if you reset the password.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 August 2015 - 12:05 PM.

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,613 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:44 PM

xFieldMedic that was a good idea to call Microsoft and just get back to Windows 7. In case you'd like to know there is a Windows 10 "update" coming out in Oct. I have recommended to my friends who had trouble with their Windows 10 upgrades to wait until February of next year before trying again; let the bugs work out etc.

Hi JohnC_21 that is good information you brought up and the best part is you include  some "caveats"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users