Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Issues With My Computer..please Help Asap (please!)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 susie86

susie86

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:24 AM

Hey guys,
you always manage to help me and im extremely thankful...but i have another issue.

i am running Windows XP Professional
When i start up my computer, it doesnt go into the Log In screen, where it gives an option to who can log in (you know, it has my name, my sisters name and my other sisters login). It goes straight to my account - but thats the least of my problems - my taskbar is pretty much gone - i cant see my start button or the quick launch buttons, when i press the "windows key" on my keyboard, my start menu opens, but i dont cant see anything like "Run", "Search", "Help", "Control Panel" etc. I can only go into "my programs" (and even that doesnt look normal).
Anyways, when i try going into my Device manager its says something about a mmcndmgr.dll error and how its not installed properly - and a few of my programs, when i try opening them up, it says something about the folder C:\WINDOWS\System32.
I've tried running a HJT log, and i can run it, though i cant open it up because my Notepad isnt working - i've tried other to open it up in other programs but nothing is working.
I've tried doing a System Restore, and that too is not working - i've tried many checkpoints and all say it cannot be restored. I can't open my disk fragment program either
this is only a few problems..please help!!!!!!!!
thanks guys!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:53 AM

If you can start in safe mode choose Last Known Good Configuration and see if that cures the problem.

If not, boot into safe mode again and choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt and see if you can start system restore from there -

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt
1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.
2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

#3 susie86

susie86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:35 AM

Hi there,
unortunately thats not working - ive tried a lot of things...and nothing is working...i dont know what happened..it was working fine this morning - i came home from work and its starts doing this...so irritating..
any other suggestions? or will i just have to reformat and reinstall windows? that might be a problem, because i can't seem to find my windows cd anywhere...just keeps getting worse and worse
thank you!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:50 AM

I think you will need the cd to do anything further.

If you positively can't find the Windows CD the following web page purports to enable you to download dll files for free. I have never used this "service" and cannot vouch for it, but as a last resort you might try it.

DLL Dump.com
http://www.dlldump.com/

Again - I cannot vouch for the safety of this site - finding the Windows CD would be far, far better.

#5 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:07 AM

i wouldnt touch thosee....its malware...all malware and viruses

#6 susie86

susie86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:35 PM

thanks guys....but again...no luck...argh bloody windows..i think a lot has to do with my c:\windows\system32 folder....almost anything i click it says its running incorrectly and reinstalling might help....do you think that is my only solution? to reinstall windows? will that mean i will have to save everything i have on this computer on something else? or can it just repair itself without losing data?
thanks again guys!

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:53 PM

Try this-

Press the Windows Key and the letter R.
This should bring up the RUN command window.

Type in-

regsvr32 mmcndmgr.dll

There is a space between the 2 and the m.

Then click the OK button.

Posted Image

You said you can't find the XP CD.
That's bad.
Even so,you could try running sfc /scannow.
There is a space between the c and the /.
(in the RUN box)

If it prompts you to insert the XP Cd,I guess you are out of luck trying sfc /scannow.

If you have the CD,you can choose a Repair install to keep your added stuff.
It just repairs Windows.

Edited by medab1, 15 July 2006 - 06:44 PM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#8 susie86

susie86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:20 AM

Thanks medab1
unfortunately i dont have the XP cd...so i guess i'm pretty screwed yeah? lol

but when i typed in regsvr32 mmcndmgr.dll into the "Run" window - this is the message i got:

"LoadLibrary(mmcndmgr.dll) failed - This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

again...i don't know where this came from...it was fine in the morning, and crashed in the afternoon...please please please help!!!

#9 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:14 AM

Hi susie.

Unless you have a restore partition, yes, you're screwed without a windows cd.
Post your make and model system, you may not be out of luck "yet'. :thumbsup:

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:18 AM

You need to find the Windows cd or order another one from the Computer Manufacturer if it came with it.

That should be a lot cheaper than purchasing a retail copy of Windows (for which you will need a complete, full installation cd - not an upgrade cd)

One way to keep your data if you have to reinstall Windows is to buy another hard drive (they can be bought cheaply), and install it instead of the drive you are using now. After you got Windows installed and functioning you could then install your present hard drive a a slave drive and reclaim all your data.

Make sure you have your present 25 digit Windows key number unless you buy a new retail Windows XP full install cd (which will come with a new one of its own).

If you don't have the key number (which should be on a sticker on the computer case), you can download a freeware utility called Keyfinder from magicaljellybean.com which will provide it for you.

#11 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:03 AM

Thanks medab1

but when i typed in regsvr32 mmcndmgr.dll into the "Run" window - this is the message i got:

"LoadLibrary(mmcndmgr.dll) failed - This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

again...i don't know where this came from...it was fine in the morning, and crashed in the afternoon...please please please help!!!

Did you try sfc /scannow?

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#12 susie86

susie86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:27 PM

Thanks everyone for your help...but it really looks like im utterly screwed....

Medab - yeah i did try running sfc /scannow....it needs the cd i unfortunately don't have..

thanks for your help guys - looks like i have to go back out and get a cd...i think i should format my computer anyways...its got a lot of crap on it - could use a clean up

thanks again...and if i need any more help i'll let you know!

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:56 PM

You could borrow a friend's XP cd to run sfc /scannow. That just replaces bad system files.

It must be the same type - home or pro - that you have installed.

Worth a try. But you cannot reload Windows with a borrowed disk that has been used to install Windows XP on any other system - unless you have your 25 digit key that came with your computer and are willing to explain what you did to Microsoft Validation.

Edited by Enthusiast, 16 July 2006 - 10:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users