Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task bar is the only thing that displays

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#1 ddibowski

ddibowski

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

I’m helping a friend with her PC.  It is a HP Pavilion p7-1254 Desktop running Windows 10.  She loaded Windows 10 herself.  She called me a couple days later because she was having trouble finding her email and games.  This was about two weeks ago. This was my first exposure to Windows 10.  I got her email set up and went back a couple days later opt out of most of the privacy settings found in a document called “What windows 10’s Privacy Nightmare Settings Do”.

Yesterday she was doing her email while some updates were running.  I am assuming they were windows updates but don’t know for sure. 

Unexpectedly her screen went blank except for the taskbar.  When I reboot I get the HP splash screen, then the Windows logo (angled windows), followed by the welcome screen with the user name on it, then it changes to a black screen except for a task bar.  This morning, when she showed it to me, the task bar was not flashing but now it is.  I can do a restart and shut down.  But this does not fix the problem.

On the flashing task bar, on the left, is the Windows Start button, a search box that has the words “Search Windows” in it, and a rectangle with two smaller rectangles attached to the sides of it.  The smaller rectangles expand when you mouse over them.  There is a large space in the middle of the task bar.  To the right there is a question mark with a circle around it, and a little rectangle with lines on it.  The arrow cursor has a blue circle blinking with the task bar. 

Alt-Ctl-Del brings up a screen that allows me to get into Task Manager and the restart/shut down button.  On Task Manager I can get to each of the tabs – Processes, Performance, App History, Startup, Users, Details and Services.    

I found a document “4 Ways To Boot Into Safe Mode In Windows 10”.  It looks like the first three choices are from a working system.  (That seems odd since the only time I get into Safe Mode is when my system is not working.)  The only choice I found was to hit F8 or Shift+F8.  That did not work for me. 

When I do a restart or a boot I am able to hit Esc to get me in to Startup Menu.  The Choices on this menu are System Information, Change Language, Diagnostics (F2), Boot Menu (F9), Computer Setup (F10), System Recovery (F11), Network Boot (F12), Utilities and Run UFEI Application… 

I ran Diagnostics and everything passed.  Boot Menu was just a way to change the boot order.  Computer Setup is HP’s Setup Utility that shows system information and allows you to change the time and date. 

System Recovery opens Recovery Manager “HP’s tool that lets you quickly get your operating system back up and running if it ever becomes corrupt”.  There are choices.  Under I need help immediately there is Microsoft System Restore, Microsoft System Repair and System Recovery.  On the other side is I’d like to take precautions.   The only choice is File Backup Program.  I tried to do this but I did not have any DVD+R or DVD-R discs available.  I am going to go get some. 

I tried the Microsoft System Repair it worked for a while but when it rebooted itself it seemed to get hung and I stopped it.  I tried it again just now and I get the message “Startup Repair could not repair the computer automatically”. 

I tried Microsoft System Restore.  It said no restore points have been created on your computer’s system drive. It offers an option to create one. 

I did not try System Recovery because of the warnings about backing up the data first.  It restores the PC back to its factory state.  All programs and data have to be reloaded. 

I appreciate any help you can give me to get this system working again.  

Thanks

Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:32 PM

If it helps, I have found a way to get to device manager and regedit through task manager.

In Task Manager I can use File, Run a New Task and can browse to files on the C drive.  

I did use device manager to go back to the previous driver for the Display.  But that did not change anything.

I opened regedit but did not do anything.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Don

#3 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:24 PM

Open Task Manager

Go to File > Run new task

type

ms-settings:windowsupdate

Settings app will open

Go to Advanced Options

Click View your update history

Tell us if any of the recent updates failed

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#4 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:17 PM

CKing123

Thanks for your response.

When I entered ms-settings:windowsupdate it gave me a message File system error (-2018374635).  I tried it again with the check box “Run this task as an administrator” checked, but got the same error.

Is there something I could browse to that would show us what we want?

Thinking there may be a file by that name, I searched for the word windowsupdate using Windows Explorer.  I found four folders by that name but there were no files in the folders.  I didn’t find any file.

Thanks 

Don

#5 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:45 PM

This could indicate hard disk failure. First, backup your data (without windows explorer):

Open task manager

Go to FileRun new task

type

cmd

Make sure Create this task with administrative privileges is checked

In Command Prompt use this command

copy [pathtosource] [pathtodestination]

path to source is the location of the file you want to backup

path to destination is where you want to store the backup of that file

After you have backed up the data

in Command Prompt type

chkdsk /r C:

It will ask you to restart the computer, click Restart

Let it finish (It will show progress in percent) It will take hours and it will appear stuck several times, so I suggest to try this at night

then try this again:

Open Task Manager

Go to File Run new task

type

ms-settings:windowsupdate 

Settings app will open

Go to Advanced Options

Click View your update history

And, if you see any of the updates that are failed, tell us which ones

Edited by CKing123, 30 August 2015 - 05:58 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#6 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:24 PM

I forgot to mention I got some DVD-Rs today and ran the backup in Recovery Manager that I mentioned in my first post.  It wrote 1.73 GB to the disc.  Is this a good enough backup?  

If not, can I put a path in as the source and destination?  If not, this is going to take a while.  I have not really looked to see where the her files are stored, so I am hoping the backup got what it needs.  She has never talked about software she installed, with the exception of Windows 10 :-(, so I don't think there is much in the way of software that would need to be reinstall.  Now that I think about it she does use Word a lot.  

I realize you can't say I'm good, but am I?

I did a little looking about the error and was hoping a bad disk was not the problem.  I did run Diagnostics from that startup menu and everything passed.  

I did do the cmd and it opened the command prompt window.

Let me know bout the backup.  I'll be browsing the disk to see where the files are I would backup.

Thanks

Don

#7 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:36 PM

Alright try this before you run the chkdsk

Run this task

C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe

It will open Settings app

Click on Updates and security

Click on Windows Update

Go to Advanced Options

Click View your update history

And, if you see any of the updates that are failed, tell us which ones

Github | Keybase

#8 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:03 PM

I forgot to mention I got some DVD-Rs today and ran the backup in Recovery Manager that I mentioned in my first post.  It wrote 1.73 GB to the disc.  Is this a good enough backup?  

If not, can I put a path in as the source and destination?  If not, this is going to take a while.  I have not really looked to see where the her files are stored, so I am hoping the backup got what it needs.  She has never talked about software she installed, with the exception of Windows 10 :-(, so I don't think there is much in the way of software that would need to be reinstall.  Now that I think about it she does use Word a lot.  

I realize you can't say I'm good, but am I?

I did a little looking about the error and was hoping a bad disk was not the problem.  I did run Diagnostics from that startup menu and everything passed.  

I did do the cmd and it opened the command prompt window.

Let me know bout the backup.  I'll be browsing the disk to see where the files are I would backup.

Thanks

Don

That depends on the data you consider most important. If you can live without it, then don't backup that file.

Typically programs can be downloaded and installed again, and the program settings can be set properly again. It's mostly the C:\Users\(nameofuser) that you should backup.

Edited by CKing123, 30 August 2015 - 07:03 PM.

Github | Keybase

#9 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:14 PM

I tried running C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe both without and as an administrator and it would not start. Can I try anything else?

I looked at the backup disk I created early today of the bad PC on my PC, running Vista, using Windows Explorer and I could see files but nothing I recognized.  I tried opening the disk using the installed restore software on Vista and it did not recognize it as a backup disk.  I could probably find software to read it if I had to but don't want to take the time now.  I think I would like another copy of the data if I can do it easily.

It has been a while since I have done any DOS.  Does xcopy still work?  I think I could probably use that to copy the whole user to a cd.  Here is a link to the format I looked at:

http://web.csulb.edu/~murdock/xcopy.html

At the bottom there is an example.  So I think I would need 

xcopy c:\users\Carol d: /s

Should I add a /v?

The reason I wanted to use xcopy was to copy all files in all directories to a similar structure.  I couldn't find this capability in the copy command.

I'll get back to this tomorrow.

Thanks for your help

Don

#10 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:08 AM

Yes. xcopy is better than copy, and robocopy is better than xcopy as it has all the parameters of xcopy and more parameters, but you can stick to xcopy too if you want.

Seeing that you can not run these apps, lets try to repair some of the problems so that you could (hopefully) run these apps and repair your computer without reinstalling:

Open Task Manager

Go to File > Run new task

Type

cmd

Make sure Create this task with administrative privileges is checked

Now, in command prompt, run this command

sfc /scannow

Plug in a flashdrive (or any other media so you can upload a log)

After sfc scan is done (it will take some time so you can do something else if you want to), run this command

wmic logicaldisk get caption,description,filesystem

Use this command to find the letter of the flashdrive or other media

For flash drive it will most likely be (letter): Removable Disk FAT

Then, run this command

copy "%windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log" "[letter]:\cbs.txt"

Where [letter] is the letter for your media

Now, on a good computer, open your flash drive in Windows Explorer, and attach the cbs.txt in your next reply.

Github | Keybase

#11 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:45 PM

I just saw your post.  This morning I have been working on getting xcopy to work.  It is not easy because of the blinking, I have to time my keystrokes between blinks and spaces are the worst.  You don’t know if they are there or not. 

After I read your post I realized that I had not run the cmd as an administrator when I was doing the xcopy.  I have not yet got a good copy of the files using xcopy but I am continuing to try.   I am not familiar with robocopy but may need to try that.  Is that something that is already on the PC?

I was able to capture the log.  I have attached a copy.

I should also mention, if the PC sits flashing for a while, eventually the flashing stops and locks up.  I have to turn it off using the power button on the tower.

Thanks for your help

Don

Attached Files

• Attached File  cbs.txt   6.15MB   3 downloads

#12 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:18 PM

I got a good xcopy of \users\carol.  

That wmic command was very helpful.  All morning I have been copying to the d drive.  wmic shows the cd drive is E.  

Very helpful.

Don

#13 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:17 PM

Checking your log, it appears clean. Ruling out system file corruptions. You did not boot into Safe Mode. F8 only works on legacy BIOS. I have HP Pavilion laptop too, and it has UEFI. Lets boot your computer into safe mode.

Open Task Manager

Go to File Run new task

Type

cmd

Make sure Create this task with administrative privileges is checked

Now, in command prompt, run this command

msconfig

Msconfig will open

hV6LngU.png?1

Go to Boot tab

Checkmark Safe Mode, and change from Minimal to Networking

Click Apply

NgOnYac.png?1

It will ask you to restart

Click Restart

Now when you will login, you will see a black desktop background. Tell us if everything loaded properly (you will, however, have a black desktop image in Safe Mode, but its not permanent. When you will start your computer is normal mode (without Safe Mode) your original Desktop background will be back)

Github | Keybase

#14 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:40 PM

I was able to open the System Configuration dialog box but when I clicked OK the box went away but it did not reboot.

I tried it again with just Minimal checked but it did not change the result.  The window just goes away.  

On the Boot Tab there is a check box "Make these settings permanent".  Could I check that and just do a restart manually?

There a some tools on the Tools tab.  Anything there you would want to try?

Don

#15 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:42 PM

Try restarting manually. Don't check Make these settings permanent.

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users