Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why won't my PC go to Sleep?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:14 AM

My PC with Win 7 has Shut Down, Hibernate, Switch User, Restart, Lock and Sleep from the Start button and all work except the Sleep option.

It switches off the monitor but leaves the PC running. Is there any way to get this option working?

In Power Options there are only settings for 'Sleep after so many minutes', nothing about Sleep until hitting the power button. Am I missing something?

Edited by zzzz, 29 August 2015 - 11:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:04 PM

Hello

I need a bit more info,

In Power Options (in control panel) you should have items on the left that control "Choose what the power button does", "Choose what closing the lid does." etc. etc.

So what are you trying to do?  Have a hardware button that makes it Sleep, or a software button? 

If your computer is not sleeping at all, here is some info on solving it and the MS KB article for more info

Sleep Mode Not Working

(via HappyAndyK at thewindowsclub.com)

Good luck

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for your response.

When I start that computer I'll check out more options you suggest. As I said Sleep from the Start button (a software button?).

I have just noticed there is a sleep key on the keyboard which I've never tried so I'll try that but it is a keyboard from another computer with many hot buttons only a few of which work such as mute, vol up and down and calculator, otherwise all keys work.

I'll get back to you.

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:07 PM

The Sleep key does the same, just turns off the monitor and the Wake Up key just turns it back on.

The other advice hasn't helped. My NVidia Driver is up to date. Anyway thanks for your advice.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:39 PM

Open the Control Panel and click on Power Options.

In the options in the upper left portion click Choose what the power buttons do.

Take a screenshot of this and post it in your topic.

How to make a screenshot

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:37 AM

Here's the screen shot.  I also have puush to give a link but this app is good - never heard of it before! Thanks,

Attached File  Dennis 7_18_21_46.jpg   78.59KB   0 downloads

Edited by zzzz, 31 August 2015 - 10:38 AM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

What is the make and model of this computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:05 AM

It's a non standard model but you can see its specs if it helps from this link:-

http://puu.sh/jV9HV/c562b94c85.png

Edited by zzzz, 31 August 2015 - 11:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users