Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I remove this

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 djm123

djm123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:02 AM

I have a program called POKKI when I click on add/remove programs it does not remove it...

How do I get rid of it?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 August 2015 - 11:52 AM.
moved from Windows 8 to Am I Infected

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:08 AM

Hello and welcome to BC,

Let's try this, this should help you:

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

§  Close all open programs and internet browsers.

§  Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.

§  In EULA window click I agree.

§  In Options uncheck Reset Winsock settings.

§  Click on Scan button.

§  When the scan has finished click on Cleaning button.

§  Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.

§  Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.

§  You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[C1].txt as well.

---------

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

§  Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.

§  Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".

§  The tool will open and start scanning your system.

§  Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.

§  On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.

§  Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

I would like to help you to remove malware. Let's look inside.   :busy:

But I don't know to solve all PC problems.  :smash: 

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:22 AM

@severac

Those tools can not be used in the Windows forums.  They are intended to be used in the Am I Infected forum.  The only other place these can be used is in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, you have to be a member of the Malware Response Team to post there.

I have asked to have this topic moved to the Am I Infected forum.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:27 AM

I have asked also, as soon as I have replied. 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

In addition to what severac has suggested I would check your browsers extensions to see if this is found there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 djm123

djm123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:13 PM

I don't think its infected, I have a virus program on here, nothing is showing.

#7 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:22 PM

It is not a virus, it is some kind of adware and unwanted program.

AdwCleaner and JRT will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons and other junkware as well as related registry entries (values, keys) and remnants.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:50 PM

The following is an excerpt from an article at BOTCRAWL.

Pokki is a potentially unwanted program categorized as malware in the adware and spyware category that (utilizes browser hijackers and) installs to a Microsoft Windows Operating System with or without user consent, but also partners with PC manufacturers including Lenovo and will come preloaded on some computer systems and causes many problems for computer users. Pokki malware may download and install as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and add-on on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer, as well as freeware under the titles “Pokki” and “Pokki Download Helper.”

The text in red is why I suggested that you check your browsers for extensions that should not be there. 

What has become very common are software downloads which the author is making revenue from by allowing other authors to add their third party software to the author's download.  When you install a downloaded program you need to be diligent in reading and recognizing this type of software.  If you use the Custom installation option you can see the third party software and will have the option of declining its installation.  This is one of the ways this adware is being installed.

If you believe that this adware is innocuous, you should read the article I provided the link to.

One other thing.  The antivirus you have installed will only find some viruses.  It is not an antimalware for example.  This is why Windows now includes an antimalware tool.  There is no single tool out there which is going to find every type of infection. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users