Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant safely remove external devices

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 paulos123

paulos123

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:41 AM

hello guys im using windows 8,1 pro 64 bit and i realized that i cant safely remove from laptop external devices such as usb's and hdd's.

the point is that when i click safe remove the drive appears but i cant click on it to safe remove it cause its blank or something

any help you be appreciated

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:11 PM

Can you describe your issue in any greater detail than this?
You are clicking on the little upward pointing white arrow at the left most end of the system tray in the bottom right hand corner of the screen but you do not see the icon?
Or you see the icon there, click it and nothing happens?
Or you see it, click it and get an error message?

I would ask how up-to-date your computer is with windows updates, because I think there have been a few recently related to usb drives, and a few a few months back also. Do any of these sound relevant to your issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3013172
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2993843

If they are not installed already you might consider installing those particular updates.

If you look in "my computer" (that's what it was called once, it might be called "computer" or "this pc" on your machine) you can see your hard-drive listed, you can see your cd-dvd drive listed and you should be able to see any inserted removable drives listed. If you click on the icon here for your USB you might be able to safely eject by right clicking and choosing "eject" which does the same thing as "safely removing" via the icon in the system tray.

In some circumstances, as long as you can be sure that at the time there is no data being trasnferred onto or off of the USB then you can remove it without "safely removing" that is to say, you can pull it out, but this is not ideal and can corrupt data on the USB if done while there is data going between it and the pc. The wholw idea of "safely remove" is that it ends the flow of data so that you can then remove the USB.

Edited by rp88, 29 August 2015 - 12:11 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:12 PM

If all else fails you can shut down the computer and then safely remove the device.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:28 AM

im far behind with windows updates you guys,cause every time im trying to update,win update stucks.........

even with troobleshot program from microsoft ,nothing changes..................

any idea how to install the updates without freezing???

thanks

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:07 AM

Please download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Clicking on the link above will start the download automatically.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:51 PM

nothing.............

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:55 PM

Nothing what?

#8 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:36 AM

nothing with windows troubleshooter

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:27 AM

Please explain what happened.  Telling me "nothing with Windows troubleshooter" doesn't explain what happened.

#10 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

hahaha @nothing happened. That is the strangest and wierdest answer I have ever heard on this forum ...lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users