Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buy new computer for everyday use

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:50 PM

I want to buy a new computer for everyday use, I no play games and only surf internet, here is the PC spec:

Intel Core i5-4460

Intel 530Series 240GB SSD

8GB RAM 1600Mhz

Asus B85M-G intel B85 S1150 M/B Motherboard

Onboard graphic card

Any advice?

Edited by batman1234, 28 August 2015 - 11:50 PM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:46 PM

As you have no reply I will chime in.  I am a computer noob, so this is just some chatting.  That is a nice pc, and a lot more than you need for general use.  If you want to save some money go with an i3 and try to get the latest generation.  You could also get by with 4GB of RAM.  But again, if you can afford it, looks very nice and will be great for doing just about anything you will ever need to do.

I don't like what I hear about Windows 10 but I suppose it will be good enough, and, it is the newest tech so that is good.  And, it will be a new Install, and not an Upgrade.

In general I would look for the latest i5 cpu etc. but won't hurt to get older equipment if you can get a good price on it.  Also not familiar with Asus, your on your own there.  Hopefully some more advanced users will chime in.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 richcbro

richcbro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:17 PM

This is too much? I think it is for everyday use. I want to buy a new PC because I think my PC is very bad. Here's the spec:

Pentium 2 Core E5700

WD Blue 500GB HDD

G41 Express Chipset

8GB RAM DDR3 400Mhz

If the one that I want is a lot more than I will use, should I get another, or use my old one until it die?

I can get PC with i7 processor, but it is too much for me, I never need this.

Edited by batman1234, 30 August 2015 - 10:21 PM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:50 PM

That looks to be enough to do what you want.  I am not real good with this stuff but that cpu looks dated.  Why don't you post the link where this pc is.  Why don't  you also post the specs of your current pc and we'll take a look.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 richcbro

richcbro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:13 PM

This is the current PC. Because you say the PC that I want to buy is too much for me, so I want to buy another one, or just use old PC until it die?

Edited by batman1234, 30 August 2015 - 11:13 PM.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:56 AM

The first pc you mentioned is very nice!  4th gen. i5 with 6mb of cache, 8GB of RAM, Nice SSD, if you can afford it that is good!  

I am not real up on all this, but I would try to get the latest Intel hardware that I can, again - unless you are getting a good deal on an older model.  The latest i5 would be a Generation 5 like these: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-i5-processor.html  But, I think nothing wrong at all with the 4th gen i5 on the Asus.

Pentium 2 Core E5700
WD Blue 500GB HDD
G41 Express Chipset
8GB RAM DDR3 400Mhz

This is your current pc? that is good!  The cpu looks a little dated but is plenty for what you want to do and is Dual Core!  I think maybe it needs a good cleaning and you could keep using it for a while.  You have plenty of Drive Space and RAM.  And, you are saying you have Windows 10 on this? this is good also!  If you are inclined, I would go to another section of bc.com and get some help to see if your pc is a little infected or needs a good cleaning, what do you have to loose?  

Here is the windows 10 section:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/229/windows-10/

If you upgraded to Windows 10 then this will be a good place to start.  

Or you can go to "Am I Infected" here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Read the Pinned Topics at the Top of the page to get an idea of what is to be done, it might be fun for you to learn this stuff.

Here is a good article about processors here:  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416592,00.asp 

Edited by pcpunk, 31 August 2015 - 12:58 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 richcbro

richcbro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:29 AM

Thank you :)

Yes it is my current PC that I bought 5 years ago.

You say that it is good for me so I will keep using it until I need new PC. 

I just clean install W10 to start fresh and PC seem to be very fast now. :lol:

Edited by batman1234, 31 August 2015 - 03:31 AM.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:23 PM

Good for you!  Now you can still keep learning and be able to make a really good decision when buying your next pc.  You can still use the community to make better use of your current pc.  There are always little tricks to make it work faster and keep it Malware free.  It is getting to the point where it is considered old in pc terms but still - I am using ALL old pc's right now.  My main pc is 9yrs. old and is showing it LOL, I will need new soon!

I like HP and Dell and as said before, try to get the newest hardware you can when you buy, or try to get a deal on a little older hardware, like the one you pointed out, gen4 i5.  Always read as many Customer Reviews as you can, and try to use your common sense.  Of course there is a wealth of knowledge here that you can always come to for help.  

I like all Intel, and, the i5 would be really good to have for fast browsing and much more.  That would really be the ticket for both of us, more than we need but don't we all like speed!  If you want fast startup then the SSD will also be a really good choice!

See ya!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users