Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GTX 660 TI, Grey screen after Windows login

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shockz13

shockz13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:24 PM

Ever since I installed this GTX 660 TI that I purchased from a friend my windows takes 20 more seconds to load the desktop. I have an SSD so it used to take 4-5 seconds from cold boot. Another issue that showed up tonight, I was playing Diablo 3 and changed from fullscreen to windowed mode and my monitor went grey for over a minute and I spammed alt-tab, ctrl-alt-delete, until Diablo came back in fullscreen but my other monitor wouldn't come back. I had to restart my computer and it's fine again. I have tried doing a clean install of the NVIDIA driver, as well as installing an older version of the driver. I feel like it's not a hardware issue because I changed PCI-e ports and the issue was resolved, then Windows installed the graphics driver and restarted and the issue was back.

Has anyone experienced this before? I had a 660 TI in my computer about a year ago and worked perfectly but it died. Now I have a working one in and it's doing this grey screen thing.

Specs

EVGA GTX 660 TI SC

Intel i7-3770k

16gb ram

120gb ssd

P8Z77-V LK mobo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:12 PM

Try doing a restore to before the last set of updates and then don't allow MS to install the nVidia drivers when it tries to catch up with the updates you have uninstalled by doing the restore.

If you don't have a restore point old enough, try rolling back the driver in 'Device manager'. Navigate to your video card in 'Device manager', double click on it, select 'Drivers' and then click on 'Rollback'.

In fact you would probably be best to change your update settings in 'Control panel - Windows update' to 'Windows only' and then get any updates for your video cards that you might need direct from nVidia. In fact driver updates like these are seldom necessary - unlike OS updates there are no security implications - and they are only needed to fix a problem you might be having in play or to receive some definite advantage.

This business of MS offering updates for hardware is one of the things upsetting the Win 10 community, in win 10 at the moment you cannot turn off non-Windows updates offered by MS.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 shockz13

shockz13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:05 PM

That fixed it! Wow thank you so much.

I disabled Windows downloading drivers and uninstalled the display driver. I restarted, installed the official NVIDIA driver from their website and windows booted in 5 seconds again. It seems odd because even before, I was installing the official driver so it must have been conflicting with Windows driver perhaps. Another thing I did was uninstall the logmein mirror driver just now too, maybe that was it. Things to try if anyone else encounters this issue.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users