Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Real noob question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 needhelp54321

needhelp54321

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:36 PM

So I tried going to tumblr.com when I got a message saying "privacy error your connection is not private" like this:

Well when I googled it I got that video

Well one of the top comments said to type "danger" and it would fix it. I figured it's best not to ignore messages like the one I was getting, but thought this is probably just this website messing up and I have no personal information on this account that could get stolen. Well after doing that (typing danger) the website still didn't work but I got a different message(it wasn't anything weird, just a thing with the site logo saying it didn't work). Then I read further in the comments about someone apparently getting a virus. So I x'd out and was gonna scan but then I realized, by pressing "danger" did I disable some security feature? And if so how do I turn it back on? Should I change passwords on that account just because? 

My computer is also being unusually slow right now, though I'm not sure if that's related.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,977 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:31 AM

Where were you trying to access this site from ?  I have seen messages like this appear when using public wi-fi systems since Chrome and Firefox have got much more security conscious in the last year or two. I help with a group teaching mainly older people how to use their laptops and tablets better and two of our weekly sessions are held in a location using an open wi-fi system which is when I have seen this type of message.

Since I believe in living dangerously I went to the web-site in your image and they use 'HTTPS'. I seem to remember reading recently that Google are trying to get everything on to this standard rather than 'HTTP' but it only takes one link in the chain or one advert on a site using 'HTTP' to bring the security level down from secure to ordinary and I believe Chrome reacts to that. Certainly using up to date Firefox from my own computer at home I got no warnings going to this site.

If you are concerned about any penetration onto your computer I suggest you download Malwarebytes - a free download - from BC, you can get it here :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Download, install and then run it. The first thing it will do is update the data files then run a 'quick' scan with it, normally a 'quick' scan is all you need. If it reports any problems it cannot deal with itself then raise a topic in the 'Am I infected ?' section of BC.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:39 AM

So I x'd out and was gonna scan but then I realized, by pressing "danger" did I disable some security feature? And if so how do I turn it back on? Should I change passwords on that account just because? 

I wasn't aware of this "danger" trick, but I tested it out and it works.

You are visiting a webpage via the secure SSL/TLS protocol (HTTPS) and for some reason, Google Chrome does not trust the security of the connection. This can be as simple as an expired certificate, or as dangerous as intercepted traffic.

Because Google Chrome does not trust the connection, it does not connect to the website and displays a warning.

When you type the word "danger" into Google Chrome on that warning page (the letters don't appear), then you instruct Google Chrome to proceed connecting to the website via SSL/TLS, despite the warning.

This is not a permanent go-ahead you gave to Google Chrome. It is only for the site you are trying to visit and stays active as long as you do not restart Google Chrome.

As to why you received that warning when visiting Tumblr: this is strange, but we can not tell you what happened without knowing exactly what URL was displayed.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 29 August 2015 - 05:40 AM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 needhelp54321

needhelp54321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:02 AM

Where were you trying to access this site from ?  I have seen messages like this appear when using public wi-fi systems since Chrome and Firefox have got much more security conscious in the last year or two. 

I was trying to access from my house as I had previously in the day. I'm guessing maybe something updated/changed and chrome didn't like it? And Malwarebytes is the one I have :)   

As to why you received that warning when visiting Tumblr: this is strange, but we can not tell you what happened without knowing exactly what URL was displayed.

I think it was just https://tumblr.com except the https had red lines through it. Can't say I remember fully but it didn't look odd other than the red. 

It sounds like I didn't disable anything and probably didn't mess anything up though. Thank you guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users