Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

maneuvering in Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Orleon

Orleon

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:26 PM

I recently got a new computer, and either Windows has changed, or I don't know how to set it up as it was.  I now find it very difficult and tedious to maneuver through the filing system.

For example:  Before, if I wanted to move files from one folder to another, I could directly do so by dragging them to the list of locations at the left of the screen.  If I dragged them to a folder which had the folder within folders I wanted to move them to, the main folder would automatically expand to allow access, and remain expanded as long as I am working.  Now it won't, so i need to instead cut the files and then open the folders within folders so I can paste to the desired location.  With the number of levels in my filing system, this is very time consuming,  I then must follow the trail back every time to the original location to move more files. Also, the list on the left is very basic and will not open to show the folders within folders as it did before, so I must start all over again every time I want to perform any action. 

When saving to a folder, the system no longer defaults to the last folder saved to, so I must maneuver through the system to locate the desired folder every time. There is a lot more, but let's see if we can straighten out these problems first.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orleon

Orleon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:28 PM

Is this an active forum?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:43 PM

What is the OS on this computer, Windows 8 or 8.1? It's Windows 7  :blush: You may want to take a look at FreeCommander.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 August 2015 - 04:45 PM.

#4 Orleon

Orleon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

Windows 7 Professional, which is what I had before. 

FreeCommander looks interesting, and I'm tempted, but with my limited computer skills, I wonder if I would know how to use it.  If I download FreeCommander, will it take over, or is it something you can either use or not? 

Before I download it, I'd first like to know if and how I could do what I want with Windows.  Has Windows changed, or do I just not know how to set it up right? 

Is there a way in Windows to make it save all downloads to the last folder saved to?  Now, it goes to unpredictable folders and I must navigate to the desired one every time I download. 

#5 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:53 PM

hello,

Is Aero on?  You can tell if you have the little clear rectangle in the button right corner of the task bar.  It’s what allows you to make what you’re looking at disappear without min. the window, it’s also a theme.  But you can change the folder options in Win 7 by

1. Control Panel from Start

2. Click Appearance and Personalization

3. Folder Options.

For more help and what they do click start and in the box at the button type "Change folder options" without quotes.  This will bring up the Windows Help and Support window and it has a list of every folder option and what they do and how to do it

hope that helps

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:22 PM

You can download the portable version of FreeCommander. Double click the exe file you download and install it to the desktop. It will create a folder. Open the folder and double click the exe file of Freecomander. Nothing is installed on the computer. Simply run it from the folder when you wish. Delete the folder if it does not meet your needs.

#7 Orleon

Orleon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:01 PM

hello,

Is Aero on?  You can tell if you have the little clear rectangle in the button right corner of the task bar.  It’s what allows you to make what you’re looking at disappear without min. the window, it’s also a theme.  But you can change the folder options in Win 7 by

1. Control Panel from Start

2. Click Appearance and Personalization

3. Folder Options.

For more help and what they do click start and in the box at the button type "Change folder options" without quotes.  This will bring up the Windows Help and Support window and it has a list of every folder option and what they do and how to do it

hope that helps

cz

Thanks for these suggestions. 

I can't find Aero.  But I'm not sure I want a transparent screen, or I else don't kbow how this helps my problems (?) 

I read somewhere that Aero is a resource hog, which worries me.  

I couldn't find any folder options in control panel that apply to my problems. 

"Change folder options" gave me an odd list of my own saved documents which don't apply to the issues I'm dealing with. 

I should tell you that I am not very computer savvy, so I probably missed something.

Edited by Orleon, 30 August 2015 - 09:03 PM.

#8 Orleon

Orleon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:09 PM

You can download the portable version of FreeCommander. Double click the exe file you download and install it to the desktop. It will create a folder. Open the folder and double click the exe file of Freecomander. Nothing is installed on the computer. Simply run it from the folder when you wish. Delete the folder if it does not meet your needs.

I will try it, thanks.  It'll be a project for me... 

Is there a downside to installing to the computer as a program (ie., in registry) rather than using it from a folder?   That is, does it mess with the usual Windows functions? 

Edited by Orleon, 31 August 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#9 Orleon

Orleon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:50 AM

I've tried using FreeCommander, but cannot figure out how to make it do the functions that would solve the problems I'm having.  Using FC is clearly a big learning curve for me and it will certainly take a lot of time and study for me to discover whether and how it can do what I need.  In the mean time, I have a lot of work do, so I don't want to bypass the original question, which is whether and how Windows itself can be used as I am asking.  I'll try to clarify what I.want to do:

Can I move files to different Windows Explorer folder levels without needing to start over or backtrack through the levels every time?  

Can It it be made to direct a file I'm saving to the last folder saved to by default, rather than my having to find the desired folder again every time I save? 

Even if FreeCommander can do these things, It would be good to know if Windows can too. 

#10 Orleon

Orleon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:57 AM

No one answered this question:  "Is there a downside to installing to the computer as a program (ie., in registry) rather than using it from a folder?   That is, does it mess with the usual Windows functions?"

It may seem that this question is superfluous, but it is important to me and I'd like to understand.  I've had lots of problems with programs changing thing in my computer for the worse.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:19 AM

As far as FreeCommander changing anything on an install, I don't know. I will install it and see what happens but I don't think it will affect any Windows default settings.

To make it easier to copy or move, Click computer. This will open your file explorer window. Make sure it is not maximized to fill the whole screen. Drag it to the right until you see it disapper. It shoud now take up half the screen. Open another file explorer window and drag it to the left side. You should have two windows each taking half of the screen. You can also move back and forth in the same window by using the left and right arrow keys in the upper left of the window.

It may help to study the use of libraries in Windows 7. Edited link.

Hope this helps.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 September 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#12 Orleon

Orleon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:56 PM

It may help to study the use of libraries in Windows 7.

The link above takes me to Amazon selling a product called Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit.  This can't be what you wanted me to see, can it?

Thanks for the advice about using two windows, that makes sense.  I take it Windows doesn't otherwise do what I described anymore?  It seemed to before.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:04 PM

Sorry for that. It was for a link in another thread. Here is the library link.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10283/understanding-the-libraries-feature-in-windows-7/

Windows explorer for 7 is different than XP. I still need to install FreeCommander. I also found this and will see how it affects Windows.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 September 2015 - 04:08 PM.

#14 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:49 PM

Thanks for these suggestions. 

I can't find Aero.  But I'm not sure I want a transparent screen, or I else don't kbow how this helps my problems (?) 

I read somewhere that Aero is a resource hog, which worries me.  

I couldn't find any folder options in control panel that apply to my problems. 

"Change folder options" gave me an odd list of my own saved documents which don't apply to the issues I'm dealing with. 

I should tell you that I am not very computer savvy, so I probably missed something.

Hey again,

Sorry about that, I should of sent you a link with pics and good steps... I have a issue jumping around in my steps... still working that out.  :rolleyes:

Here is a link for disabling Aero on Windows (vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8)

Let me know if you still need help on this.

Also

No one answered this question:  "Is there a downside to installing to the computer as a program (ie., in registry) rather than using it from a folder?   That is, does it mess with the usual Windows functions?"

It may seem that this question is superfluous, but it is important to me and I'd like to understand.  I've had lots of problems with programs changing thing in my computer for the worse.

What do you mean by folder vs as a program?  Meaning are you saying the folder is referenced to a external drive or different partition etc.?  Here is a link for a great guide to Windows 7, and changing everything from the task bar, to Aero, to gadgets (which are resource hogs and should be turned off all the time) 

Lastly here is a guide to Windows Registry and what it does and does not do.  Hope it helps you answer your last question.

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:23 AM

Try this software http://zabkat.com/

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users