Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Win98se To Wn Xp

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mloo55

mloo55

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:03 AM

This pc has win98se,pIII, 128k and i would like to know if is possible to upgrade the pc to win XP and what procedure should I follow without missing my files.
rgds
mloo55

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:13 AM

Actually you could put in a little more Ram you only have 128 Mb and the minimum is 256 Mb but for really good performance you should have 512 Mb.

Also you can get an upgrade install cd for Windows XP but if for any reason you have to re-install you will still need the Windows 98 SE install disk so I recommend getting the full install version and do a clean install. You will have to backup all of your important DATA from you exixting Windows 98 SE for either type of installation just to make sure you do not loose any DATA.

Microsoft KB - How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;310353

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:17 AM

I would think you might start your research by using Microsoft's XP upgrade advisor. Info on this can be found HERE. You must make sure the hardware in your computer is compatable with XP. And like ThorXP stated, more RAM is recommended to be sure.

Also be aware that Windows is coming out with a new version called Vista next year. Some folks don't like to buy a new operating system in their first year of release, for good reason, but my point is that you might see a cost reduction in XP next year after the release of Vista.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:39 AM

Albert's link is the upgrade advisor for XP Pro.

The upgrade advisor for XP Home can be found here:
Windows XP Home Advisor
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/up...ng/advisor.mspx

Be aware that Microsoft support for XP home will end as soon as Vista is released. Extended support will continue for XP Pro for an additional five years - well worth the small difference in price, and XP Pro has much better security and other additional features not found in XP Home.

Difference between XP Home and XP Pro

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...ls/wxpdifs.html

Edited by Enthusiast, 15 July 2006 - 08:46 AM.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Enthusiast.

Be aware that Microsoft support for XP home will end as soon as Vista is released

I have not seen this stated by Microsoft. Do you have a link?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:18 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for the link, it is a good resouce. I found the following regarding Windows XP Home Edition:

Mainstream support will end two years after the next version of this product is released.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3221
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:30 AM

Pro will have five more years of extended support after that.

#9 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:43 PM

I would like to add that it is to my knowledge that you can not upgrade from 98SE to XP home. I have tried and I get an error stating that your version of Windows is not upgradeable. This is with SP1 though I am not sure with SP2.

Just thought I would let it be known.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#10 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:12 AM

Mainstream support will end two years after the next version of this product is released.

Why would they only support it for 2 years after the new OS comes out when look how long they supported Win98/ME? Hell, WinXP has been out for over 4 years, right?

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:37 AM

Why would they only support it for 2 years after the new OS comes out when look how long they supported Win98/ME? Hell, WinXP has been out for over 4 years, right?

Because MS wants you to buy Vista and that is the policy they have set.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:41 AM

I would like to add that it is to my knowledge that you can not upgrade from 98SE to XP home. I have tried and I get an error stating that your version of Windows is not upgradeable. This is with SP1 though I am not sure with SP2.

Just thought I would let it be known.

You can upgrade to XP Home or Pro from Win 98 Se if your hardware is compliant with XP's system requirements.

Eligibility for In-Place Upgrade - Upgrading from Previous Versions of Windows
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx

#13 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:50 AM

No, see I have tried to upgrade from 98 SE and it gave me an error saying you can not upgrade from Windows 98 SE. When I do a fresh install XP works great with no problems at all.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:36 AM

Microsoft is saying that THEY will stope providing technical support - not that they won't provide updates/security patches. So, 2 years after Vista is released you wont' be able to get Microsoft to fix XPHome issues on your computer, not even issues with SP2. But, that's what forums like this are for. We provide technical support for users regardless of the Lifecycle of the product.

Patches/service packs/updates will still be issued as needed - but will fall into the realm that Win98 falls into now. This will allow Microsoft to devote it's tech support resources based on the needs of the majority of the user base.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:42 AM

mloo55 = What does the Windows XP install disk ;look like?

Does it say that it is an upgrade or for this PC only etc ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users