Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Cached Web Content Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

Looking in my Firefox Advanced Network options, I see Cached Web Content is using 623 KB of disk space.

Question: might there be an opion about the "best cache limit?"

I see the override option, however I would not know how much cache limit to select?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:40 PM

Hi softeyes.

With a google search "best cache limit firefox cached web content" I found the following:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/advanced-panel-settings-in-firefox

If you read that, it may be of help. Note in particular the greyed 350MB they have at Override, where the User is currently using 5.1MB.

The 350MB is the default as you can see in my own personal example below:

ITrQwIJ.png

... and that I am using 298MB currently, so might need to adjust.

Bear in mind that the caching has two main functions:

1. Speeding up reloading of sites you have visited before and
  2. Easy access to same when you are working offline

I won't say it is an arbitrary limit, and experts more advanced than I might say there is an optional best limit.

I have been using Firefox since nearly Day One, first under Windows, and now exclusively under Linux, but I can't say that I have really studied caching.

Hope this helps

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW amount of RAM will impact - I have 8GB and can have 100 or more tabs open before noticing performance degradation, but I try to keep it under 20 and sort the others to bookmarks, or cull/close, lol

Edited - added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 28 August 2015 - 06:42 PM.

#3 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,587 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:45 PM

@wizardfromoz

G'whatever in the land of OZ!!

Thanks for your imput.  I'm now abit distracted reading how many tabs you tend to have open at one time (100!!! )

Oh dear, I can't think of that many sites to enjoy!

I'm curious that you can have 20 - 100 tabs open, yet only be using 298 disk space? Perhaps your experience is based on Liinix and it's ability to run without cache?  I don't know!!!

It appears I have taken the help-me route without reading! (yes I wish to be lazy at times!!)

:apple:

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:30 AM

You are welcome, hope it helps.

I can't think of that many sites to enjoy!

I'm curious that you can have 20 - 100 tabs open, yet only be using 298 disk space? Perhaps your experience is based on Liinix and it's ability to run without cache?  I don't know!!!

Nor can I. In helping here (usually Linux), I may open a tab, it has a link, I right-click to open in a new tab, and on and on until I complete my research.

Currently I have 22 open and the figure is shown as 350. If I opened another 10 tabs, the figure might still show as 350, and that would indicate an inability by Firefox to calculate the usage beyond the point officially set.

Bit busy now, but when I can I might upscale that 350 figure and see if the takeup with more tabs opens matches what I have surmised above. Won't happen fast, I move like a tortoise.

I love Firefox, and its email client sibling Thunderbird (also since near day one).

Later

:wizardball: Wizard

#5 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,587 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:44 PM

LOL  ~ quicksand in my high heels!  It appears I indeed do have my own reasearch to do!  It's really impressive Wiz..

with how many tabs you can have open with the small cache used showing!

Who knows..we might be back here!

Thanks again!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users