Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu graphics driver problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:56 PM

Hello,

Recently I built a custom computer for my brother. Upon attempting install AMD catalyst center, the graphics card will no longer show up in my hardware moniter, and the gpu is not being used in games, which significantly decreases my frames. Under additional drivers the options for using x.org driver, and 2 amd drivers are grayed out, and the only option (Also permanently selected) is continue using a manually installed driver, I cannot revert the driver.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:22 PM

You could try running the propritary drivers from AMD. The AMD catalyst drivers can be a bit weird to get to work right. And they don't apparetnly work as well as Nvidia. Take a look here (http://askubuntu.com/questions/124292/what-is-the-correct-way-to-install-proprietary-ati-catalyst-video-drivers-fglrx) and here (http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Catalyst-Linux-Installer-Notes.aspx) for intalling the drivers. The first lins is just to an ubuntu forum discussion about installing them, the second link is the AMD Linux install guide (which can be found in that ubuntu forum as well). Before installing the propritary make sure all drivers are uninstalled for the GPU before installing the new ones.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:34 AM

I'd suggest trying what DC has provided above & see how it goes. 

Honestly, have had more issues with setting up a NVIDIA card than AMD, if the OS were clean installed & the boxes for updates while connected to the Internet (recommended) are checked, chances are the drivers will install normally. Have never installed an AMD card after the OS was installed when one wasn't present during the initial install, so don't have the experience there, maybe because there were prior AMD drivers already installed is why I didn't have trouble. 

Which card is it? Many takes the same AMD drivers as the previous one, while some will need newer ones. It was likely the install of CCC that threw things out of whack, which may require the drivers that DC linked. 

While I much prefer NVIDIA cards, installing a newer card, such as any of the GTX series, requires several steps to complete, AMD cards has always worked out of the box for me. What you can do to help is disabling onboard graphics in the BIOS or UEFI firmware, especially if an Intel CPU is installed. That way, the only GPU seen is the one you installed (& likely the one you want anyway). Otherwise, why pay for a discrete GPU? 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

I'd suggest trying what DC has provided above & see how it goes. 

Honestly, have had more issues with setting up a NVIDIA card than AMD, if the OS were clean installed & the boxes for updates while connected to the Internet (recommended) are checked, chances are the drivers will install normally. Have never installed an AMD card after the OS was installed when one wasn't present during the initial install, so don't have the experience there, maybe because there were prior AMD drivers already installed is why I didn't have trouble. 

Which card is it? Many takes the same AMD drivers as the previous one, while some will need newer ones. It was likely the install of CCC that threw things out of whack, which may require the drivers that DC linked. 

While I much prefer NVIDIA cards, installing a newer card, such as any of the GTX series, requires several steps to complete, AMD cards has always worked out of the box for me. What you can do to help is disabling onboard graphics in the BIOS or UEFI firmware, especially if an Intel CPU is installed. That way, the only GPU seen is the one you installed (& likely the one you want anyway). Otherwise, why pay for a discrete GPU? 

Cat

If you use my tutorial over in the How to section Cat its actually quite easy to intall the Nvidida drivers now! I got a GTX 980 and it installs right away without any issues.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:10 AM

Found & read it, DC! :thumbup2:

Will have to give that method a shot next clean install of Mint.  :)

BTW, those dual graphic notebooks are a pain in the rear, I installed bumblebee from the Package Manager, as Nick advised me some time ago. It's not a perfect solution & not everyone will benefit, yet it does assist many with an Optimus replacement. Would be great for notebook owners with dual cards to also be able to disable onboard graphics, just as desktop PC users can, for whatever reason, the OEM's just doesn't want to do it. Battery life may be one reason, yet that's a cop out, GPU's of today uses less energy than ever when performing daily tasks. Gaming is different & uses a considerable amount of power, though chances are, notebook users will want to be on AC power for the performance benefit alone & to place it on a powered cooler, which draws more power. 

The bottom line is that notebook users are penalized for their purchasing choice. 

And another reason why the PC will never be dead. Our choices are tied only to how much cash we want to spend. BTW, the GTX 980 is a great card, for my needs, the 960 was enough, yet if a hard core gamer like the OP obviously is, than a 980 or higher it would be, along with the needed PSU to keep things running good. Too much power won't harm anything, the system will only draw what it needs, too little is what damages components & one can only hope that the PSU goes w/out taking other components with it. 

Hopefully the OP can find some type of Linux OS to use as a gaming platform. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for the help,
After posting this I realized I had installed 32 bit ubuntu (oops) so I did a clean install of 64 bit which fixed the graphics driver.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:29 PM

Found & read it, DC! :thumbup2:

Will have to give that method a shot next clean install of Mint.  :)

BTW, those dual graphic notebooks are a pain in the rear, I installed bumblebee from the Package Manager, as Nick advised me some time ago. It's not a perfect solution & not everyone will benefit, yet it does assist many with an Optimus replacement. Would be great for notebook owners with dual cards to also be able to disable onboard graphics, just as desktop PC users can, for whatever reason, the OEM's just doesn't want to do it. Battery life may be one reason, yet that's a cop out, GPU's of today uses less energy than ever when performing daily tasks. Gaming is different & uses a considerable amount of power, though chances are, notebook users will want to be on AC power for the performance benefit alone & to place it on a powered cooler, which draws more power. 

The bottom line is that notebook users are penalized for their purchasing choice. 

And another reason why the PC will never be dead. Our choices are tied only to how much cash we want to spend. BTW, the GTX 980 is a great card, for my needs, the 960 was enough, yet if a hard core gamer like the OP obviously is, than a 980 or higher it would be, along with the needed PSU to keep things running good. Too much power won't harm anything, the system will only draw what it needs, too little is what damages components & one can only hope that the PSU goes w/out taking other components with it. 

Hopefully the OP can find some type of Linux OS to use as a gaming platform. :)

Cat

Thanks Cat!
Ah yeah the bumbleebee drivers.... those were a pain to install. Thankfully the new Nvidia drivers support the optimus technology. Just follow the same guide that I made and it works for a regular destop card as well as the intel/Nvidia combo optimus stuff.

Thanks for the help,
After posting this I realized I had installed 32 bit ubuntu (oops) so I did a clean install of 64 bit which fixed the graphics driver.

Ah, fantastic, glad you got it working!

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:02 AM

Thanks for the help,

Glad to hear that you sorted out the issue! :)

None of us are perfect, I've downloaded 32 bit OS's myself when meaning to grab 64 bit builds. 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users