Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I know the CPU Temp?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nonnox15

nonnox15

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545, Windows Vista 64, Intel® Core™ 2 Duo CPU, T6500 @ 210 GHZ 2100 MHZ, 2 Cores.

4 GB RAM, 325 GB HD.

A couple of weeks ago my computer started locking up.

I thought it was Firefox causing it, cause it only seemed to do it while I was using Firefox.  Usually within 10 minutes.

It has also locked up 4 or 5 times using Google Chrome.

The CPU usage was under 90% when it locked up.

My CPU seems to run high but right now it is under 20%.

I was wondering if the CPU was over heating and that was causing the computer to lock up.

I went to the Firefox community support site and followed the procedures given to someone else who had computer freeze problems, but none of those seemed to help.

I was trying to find out if there is a way to determine my CPU temp and what the limits are.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:33 PM

Try HWMonitor

Absolute max core temperature is 105 degrees C.  It shouldn't be near that in normal use.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 nonnox15

nonnox15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:45 PM

Thank you for the information.

HWMonitor shows core temps at 56-58 *C

So, that is good.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:53 PM

Yes that is OK.  Laptops tend to get a bit hotter than desktops.  It records maximum temperature achieved so you can keep it running for a while in the background, and see what happens during browsing etc.  Things like Flash heavy sites will probably raise the temps a bit.  Do you notice the internal fan spinning up to high speed during these freezes?

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 nonnox15

nonnox15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:25 PM

I don't hear the fan running.  I put my hand by the vent and didn't feel much air.  I put my face close to the vent and felt some air coming out.  Can't say it was a lot.

So, I guess it is functioning well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users