Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Dmz.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MechaMan

MechaMan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

Hey, I was just wondering. Putting a device into Demilitarized zone, will this mean the same as all ports open? Since im thinkin bout doing this instead of forwarding ports just to get wrong port chance outa the way.

Also - Is it normal to get 2x upload speed after putting up a switch? I should only get 100/100 and thats abotu what i were getting before putting in my new switch. After putting the new switch in i get 100/200 which sounds really weird for me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:38 PM

Ifs its a console like a Xbox or something a DMZ would be ok. A DMZ by passes the routers NAT feature and "firewall" so for a general computer port forwarding is recommended instead. Dont think a switch would have much of a impact on speed.

http://portforward.com/

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 MechaMan

MechaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:54 PM

Very weird about the switch http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4616193563   <- with the switch -> Without the switch http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4619274867

But a simple Dmz will work? Only downside is it wil loose firewall protection? If i understood correct

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:28 PM

You will lose the routers "firewall" protection with a DMZ set up. Dont know. Your ISP sets upload and download limits.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:30 PM

The easiest way to explain what the DMZ is like, is that a device that is in the DMZ acts like it is directly connected to the Internet.

It is not normally recommended that you do this to a PC.  A Windows XP machine would be infected in 20 minutes.  This has been improved upon since Windows now ships and installs with the firewall active, but that doesn't mean that you are safe.  Normally you can use port forwarding or turn on UPnP to get around putting a machine in the DMZ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users