Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32bit Compatibility for 64bit windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chicaga72

chicaga72

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:01 PM

Hello All,

I am having alot of trouble with this one program, 

The program is Applied Microtype Pro. It is a 32bit program that we need to get to run on 64bit windows 7 machine. 

when I try to install it I get the following message 

"the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check you computer's system information to see whether you need a x86(32bit) or X64 (64bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

Now this same program was installed on this same device last year.

I've tried every compatibility fix in windows with no luck. 

Any Ideas? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:05 PM

I'm surprised running it in compatibility mode doesn't fool the installer into thinking you have 32bit and thus skipping that error.

My only ideas are a virtual machine or installing 32bit windows. Or actually getting a 64bit copy of the software if that exists.

Edited by sparklestar, 28 August 2015 - 05:05 PM.

#3 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:10 PM

What .NET framework are you using?  When this updates sometimes it stops older programs from working.  You can enable some of the older .net frameworks via the control panel and Programs, Programs and Features, "Turn Windows features on or off"

Whatever you do, DONT uninstall your current .net frame work, because current programs will no longer work.

Hope that gets you in the right direction,

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#4 chicaga72

chicaga72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:07 AM

I'm going to try this this weekend, but to be clear I just uncheck the .net framework?

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:55 AM

If czarboom's suggestion doesn't solve it, then by the looks of the error message the program probably uses a 16 bit installer, even though the program itself is 32 bit. Program packages that do this can't be installed on 64 bit systems as they stand. If the program is this one:

http://www.microtype.swlearning.com/

it looks old enough to have this issue.

If your recollection is correct and it was operating on that system in the past, someone then may have been able to substitute the 16 bit installer with the equivalent 32 bit executable (probably a SETUP.EXE) belonging to the installer package it uses, e.g. Wise Installer or InstallShield.

Edited by Platypus, 04 September 2015 - 08:22 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users