Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PDF files not opening....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jimfromjersey

jimfromjersey

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:43 PM

Hi, I am not very computer savvy and I need help with my PDF files. I used to be able to Google something and click on a PDF file and it would automatically open on my screen, but for some reason now it downloads that PDF file instead and the file is stored in Irfanview, a program similar to Windows PAINT, instead of going to Adobe Reader like it always used to do. I know I screwed something up by changing something I shouldn't have, can you help me so that all PDF files just open on my screen when I click on them and NOT have them be stored as Irfanview files?

Any help is greatly appreciated, p[lease keep in mind I am not very computer literate.... Jim

As you can see all these saved PDF's have the Irfanview logo over them instead of the Adobe logo, obviously I'm an idiot.

Attached File  adobe.jpg   89.17KB   0 downloads

Edited by jimfromjersey, 28 August 2015 - 02:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

If you right click one of the pdf files and select Open With do you see the option to use Adobe Reader?

#3 jimfromjersey

jimfromjersey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:00 PM

If you right click one of the pdf files and select Open With do you see the option to use Adobe Reader?

No John, here is what I see after right clicking, like I said they used to just open right up in Adobe for me if I left clicked on them, now they get downloaded and end up in the Irfanview files.... Once they are in my Irfanview files I can right click and then choose the option to have Adobe open them, but I want them to open when I first click on them like they used to do. I'm not sure how the Irfanview program became involved in my PDF files at all....

Attached Files

Edited by jimfromjersey, 28 August 2015 - 03:02 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:02 PM

I meant to right click one of the files in the downloads folder. You should get an open with option in the context menu.

#5 jimfromjersey

jimfromjersey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:15 PM

I meant to right click one of the files in the downloads folder. You should get an open with option in the context menu.

Yes John I can choose Adobe to open them that way if I want, I was actually able to find the solution myself so they would stop going into my Irfanview folder. I did the following....

1. go to control panel

2. default programs

3. set associations

find  the ".pdf"

4. go to the "change program" button and chose Adobe

That fixed it, now all my PDF files will go to Adobe, I appreciate the help....

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:39 PM

Your Welcome. Thanks for posting the solution to your problem.

Personally, I don't use Adobe Reader for PDFs. I use PDFXchange viewer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users