Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Won't Stop Double-Clicking - NOT Hardware Issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 monogato

monogato

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:51 PM

Heyo! I've been seeking help with this issue for a while and have yet to find any solution... This is a seemingly basic problem, but it is extremely annoying. My mouse is double-clicking things when I single click. This has been going on for a few months now, and is wearing on my last nerve! Here are the details:

• Desktop, running on Windows 7.
  • This doesn't happen every time I click, but it happens A LOT (implying to me that it is not some setting that merely needs altering, since it is not consistent).
  • Happens with ANY mouse. I've tried switching out to two other mice I had laying around (and tried multiple USB ports), same problem.
  • To be sure I didn't just have a bunch of broken mice, I plugged them into a laptop to test. The problem did not occur on the laptop.
  • Only occurs with left-click. Right-click and middle-click are unaffected.
  • Problem is not specific to any program.
  • I've updated the mouse drivers, no change.
  • Tried modifying click speed settings, no effect.
  • I have rebooted & updated Windows.
  • Tried a "clean boot," and the problem still occurred. 

All of this leads me to believe that the problem is not the mouse (or rather, mice) but some other... unknown and mystifying factor. I would love any help you guys have to offer, as this is making me nuts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JR999

JR999

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:07 AM

I've had the same problem all summer. Try this.

First see if there is a GWX (Get WIN 10) icon on your taskbar, next to the clock.

Right click on the clock and open Task MGR.

Go to Processes Tab and Delete GWX.exe

That should fix it. Please reply & post if it works.

The GWX icon will hide until your next session. = a daily repeat at startup.

A few posts down, RVAH-12 posted. "Just found DIAG TRACKER running in Services."

I'm not a geek but these troubles have brought me to this excellent website.

My analogy = "I had a perfectly working machine (WIN 7 computer / car), that I need for self employment. A bad cop pulls me over and busts out my tail light and then tells me that I have to get a new one." This isn't right!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,657 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:46 AM

See if the following helps if JR999's suggestion does not work. 

Windows Vista or Windows 7

1. Click Startvistastartbutton.jpg, type Appearance and Personalization in the Start Search box, and then click Appearance and Personalization in the Programs list. 

securityshield.jpg If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  2. In Appearance and Personalization, click Folder Options.
  3. On the General tab, click Double-click to open an item.

If Double-Click to open an item is already checked then select Single Click > Apply then recheck Double Click > Apply. Reboot.

#4 monogato

monogato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:50 PM

I've had the same problem all summer. Try this.

First see if there is a GWX (Get WIN 10) icon on your taskbar, next to the clock.

Right click on the clock and open Task MGR.

Go to Processes Tab and Delete GWX.exe

That should fix it. Please reply & post if it works.

The GWX icon will hide until your next session. = a daily repeat at startup.

A few posts down, RVAH-12 posted. "Just found DIAG TRACKER running in Services."

I'm not a geek but these troubles have brought me to this excellent website.

My analogy = "I had a perfectly working machine (WIN 7 computer / car), that I need for self employment. A bad cop pulls me over and busts out my tail light and then tells me that I have to get a new one." This isn't right!

Hmm, I don't seem to have that process running. :\ Not sure if there might be some other process causing it, but that one (GWX) doesn't exist for me.

#5 monogato

monogato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:56 PM

See if the following helps if JR999's suggestion does not work. 

Windows Vista or Windows 7

1. Click Startvistastartbutton.jpg, type Appearance and Personalization in the Start Search box, and then click Appearance and Personalization in the Programs list. 

securityshield.jpg If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  2. In Appearance and Personalization, click Folder Options.
  3. On the General tab, click Double-click to open an item.

If Double-Click to open an item is already checked then select Single Click > Apply then recheck Double Click > Apply. Reboot.

Unfortunately this did not help either. The problem persists. 

An interesting thing to note, often as I am holding down the left click, it will UN-click... For example, if I were in a drawing program like paint, and I tried to draw a straight line by holding down the click and moving the mouse, the result is a broken/dashed line. What the heck??

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,657 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:53 PM

Does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

There may be an issue with previous USB drivers. Download USBdeview. Delete all vendor specific devices except any printer or network devices. Reboot and see if it helps. If that does not work then uninstall your USB controllers in Device Manager and reboot. This will reinstall the controllers.

You can confirm if this is a WIndows or hardware problem by downloading and booting a small linux distro like Puppy. tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso Play around with the mouse in Puppy and see if you get the mouse issue. Mouse buttons in Puppy are equivalent to Windows but you only need to click once on an icon to open a program. For Windows 7 burn the iso to disk by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:28 AM

Try also running system file checker and then running Free Malwarebytes just in case.

Tekken

#8 JR999

JR999

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:08 AM

I'm new here & M not very tech.
Running the adware cleaner here, also seems to help.

IN FACT I JUST NOW TRIED TO COPY & PASTE THIS REPLY THERE AS WELL. THE mouse will not let me do it. Could someone out there please do that for me?

For starters, I now let the computer warm up. Then I connect my internet cable. As soon as I do that, I open TASK MGR & turn off (delete) GWX.EXE. That will also remove the "GET WIN 10" icon (near the clock) - but only per connected session. This forum may show other fixes as well.

MS Security Essentials actually tripped up their own MSN browser and GET WIN 10 hijack on me the other night. The Adware cleaner showed it, as well as Security Essentials.

In my opinion; all of this has to do with WIN 10 issues. WIN 10 has installed itself and/or files on my WIN 7(UNINVITED or asked for). The new EDGE browser that comes with WIN 10 suggests that MS doesn't want to support IE, any more than they have to. I went thru this same thing when MS abandoned support of XP.

COMPATIBILITY comes to mind. Two OS (WIN 7 & WIN 10) cannot inhabit the same space and run simultaneously without conflict. It gives the mouse & me indigestion. My solution is not to consume MS products.

Edited by hamluis, 04 September 2015 - 01:40 PM.
Moved, edited posts to own topic - Hamluis.

#9 JR999

JR999

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:20 AM

I'm so used to Right clicking > on the clock. This opens the Task Manager.

I forgot to mention that GWX.exe is under the PROCESSES Tab. DELETE it.

This seemed to help my mouse. I'm always concerned about a MS work around or file name change.

I'm sure that this forum would root it out.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users