Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Get Windows 10' pop-up sometimes just a black window

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 draper3

draper3

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:41 AM

Hi. Probably should say from the outset - I'm just an average 'turn the key and drive' computer user.

As per title - when restarting my desktop PC or waking it from Sleep, the 'Get Windows 10' pop-up is sometimes just a black window.

Have tried several things, including running chkdsk, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, but it still happens.

Can it just be ignored? Or should I fix it (and if so, how)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:06 PM

My vote would be to ignore it until you upgrade and then it should never appear again

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 RVAH-12

RVAH-12

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:53 PM

My vote is DO NOT upgrade (for many reasons),  I you're just an average Joe, I'd say Win 10 is too unstable (at best) at this time.  There are also privacy concerns.  What is going on, is that you (intentionally or not) have downloaded preliminary Win 10 files and they are going through your 'sock drawers' to find potential compatibility problems ... and it's messing up a lot of folks non-Win 10 systems.  If you want Win 10 stuff to go away, uninstall these updates:

KB2952664 Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
KB2990214 Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
KB3021917 Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
KB3022345 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3035583 Update installs get windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
KB3068708 (replaces KB3022345) Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3075249 Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
KB3080149 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry

One of these is probably causing you this problem, and perhaps others you don't realize.

I found this list at this site : http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ LOTS of good stuff here, and it appears legitimate to me so far.  The forums look pretty good with security-minded folks giving advice.  Before you jump in too deeply, let your post sit here for a bit and others, smarter than me, will try to help also.  But as fare as these updates go, I think that your safe to uninstall them.  I did, and have seen no problems, other than MS trying to put them right back in subsequent updates.  Also set your updates to NOT install automatically.  Set it to notify you first so that you can decide what you want.  We are now in a time that we (IMHO) can't trust MS to do what's best for us.  They want EVERYTHING to run Win 10 ... the sooner, the better.  Read some of the discussions/arguments over Win 10 here in the Win 7/Win 10 forums and decide for yourself.  Good luck and may the Wind be with you.

- RVAH-12

Edited by RVAH-12, 28 August 2015 - 11:57 PM.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:38 PM

To each his/her own !

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic