Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 80073B92-20009

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:13 AM

Attempting to upgrade to Win 10 I get through the entire process only to have it fail at the end and it gives this error code 80073B92-20009.  Anyone have insight to a solution?  This is going from Win 7.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:27 PM

Hello,

You can try this link

MS Answers Forum Help Document

but I don't know if its going to work.

I would contact MS Answer Disk or your PC Manufacturer if that link does not help​.

The only thing I can think of is maybe Windows update is the problem have you tried installing it from here?

Windows 10 Download​

Edited by 1029rjmenvy17t, 28 August 2015 - 02:30 PM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:22 AM

I did some research on the error code you are receiving.

How many hard drives do you have?

Everything I found points to that error is given when there is more than one. The solution is to disconnect everything but the drive with your current version of Windows on it.

Those who did that were able to install 10.

Of course there could be other reasons for that error but I did not find any reference to other reasons.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 August 2015 - 10:24 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:14 AM

There are quite a few possible reasons why this is happening.

A lack of updates.

A third party antivirus interfering.

If you are using a wifi connection for the download try using a Ethernet cable.

================

A third party service could be causing this.  Try doing a Clean Boot and then try the download or install.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Open the Search charm and type msconfig in the search box.  When msconfig appears below the search box tap/click on it to open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

(1)  Click/tap on the General tab.   

(2)  Click/tap on the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

(1)  Click/tap on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will remain running. 

(3)  Click/tap on Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click/tap on Apply, then OK.  Click/tap on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted try installing Windows 10.

Once you have finished using the Clean Boot, go back to System Configuration and reset it back to the default settings you started out with.

================

Queen-Evie has already addressed the potential of a second HDD/SSD or flash drive causing a problem.  I would suggest removing any USB connected devices other that a keyboard or mouse.  If you have an internal HDD/SSD which is for storage only, unplug it from the data and power cables.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:35 PM

Thank you all for the input/comments.  I believe they will help me solve this.  I have researched and tried a number of things so far to no avail.  I believe Queen-Evie may be on to something with the multiple hard drives, I have four in this machine and wondered if that might be causing a conflict but never looked far into that.  I had an IT person I'm acquainted with tell me it could be hardware related so that would make sense.  I am going to attempt to upgrade after disconnecting the three extra drives.  All updates show to be current with the exception of the Win 10 upgrade.  I will let y'all know what happens when I get this done.  Thanks again.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:43 PM

Everything I found points to that error is given when there is more than one. The solution is to disconnect everything but the drive with your current version of Windows on it.

I just realized that what I should have said was disconnect all drives except the one with your current version of Windows on it.

dc3 suggested removing all USB devices except for the mouse and keyboard. Wise advice to follow.

#7 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:45 AM

I finally got around to disconnecting the storage drives  but didn't disconnect from the power. I will disconnect the power cables but would ask what roll the power plays in this. The upgrade failed.  I am currently making a disc to use.  dc3 I will now use your information above.  After the failure I got error code 80072EE2 but it showed the code of this post when I turned the machine on this morning.  

#8 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:43 PM

I sure appreciate the suggested solutions to my problem.  Nothing worked to get it upgraded.  I put the Windows 10.iso on a disc but I get stuck at giving a key to continue.  None I've found online will work.  Must be something in my system that is conflicting and I have no idea how to determine what it might be.  This machine may spend the remainder of it's life with Win 7.  Thanks again.

Edited by Bill_in_Texas, 11 September 2015 - 05:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users