Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in a loop trying to get Win 7 back

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Juliasdream

Juliasdream

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:07 AM

Hi

I upgraded to Win 10 only to find printer and software not compatible so I tried to revert back to Win 7.

Instead of going back to the way things were it just keeps trying to load and gives up. Goes back to the Bios page and tries again. if I leave it it continues in this loop

Its an HP Pro 3010 Microtower PC normally running win 7 Pro OA

I'd like to restore it to win 7 without losing data

could someone please advise

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:38 AM

If you are referring to the startup repair loop, I had that happen on my Windows 7 laptop a while back. I went through several days of tearing my hair out and the end result was that I had to format the hard drive and reinstall the operating system and reinstall the few apps that I had on it.

Fortunately, I had my data duplicated elsewhere and didn't lose anything.

I don't remember what steps I took but there are quite a few guides online about it:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=windows+7+boot+repair+loop

#3 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:03 PM

Hi. I'm not sure if it's actually Startup repair loop

What happens is I went through the revert to Win 7 from Windows 10

It appeared to be busy for a while and when it came to rebooting it went into a loop.

Would that be the same thing?

I cloned the HD using a double docking station on my laptop for good measure but ideally I'd like to get it back to the way it was with data and programs intact

#4 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:12 PM

Post the messages that you see on your screen at each step of the loop.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:37 PM

This is what worked for me on 2 computers that needed to revert back to Windows 7 from Windows 10

Start the computer up: When its booted into Windows but before it shuts itself down, hold the power button until the computer shuts down.

--- Repeat the same procedure a second time.

On the third startup, you should be able to boot into Advanced Startup Options

--- On one of the 2 computers I dealt with, one of them took 4 hard shutdowns instead of 2

Check out

How to Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html

"In some situations, Windows RE automatically tries to repair the system. Also, these situations automatically cause a failover to Windows RE:

Two consecutive failed attempts to start Windows.

Two consecutive unexpected shutdowns that occur within two minutes of boot completion."

--- There are some very good diagrams on how to proceed

#6 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:40 AM

Post the messages that you see on your screen at each step of the loop.

Hi. I tried Cmptrgy's solution but it appears from the screenshots that it assumes that win 10 is already working

I'm locked out of Win 10 and its obviously part way to reverting to Win 7

I get the following

The blue win 10 symbol appears on the screen

Then briefly shows  "Attempting to recover installation"

Then "Restoring your previous version of windows..."

Then it reboots and the same thing happens over and over endlessly

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:18 AM

"Hi. I tried Cmptrgy's solution but it appears from the screenshots that it assumes that win 10 is already working"

Good point. I'll research that.

EDIT:

BTW, have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

Edited by cmptrgy, 29 August 2015 - 08:19 AM.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:53 AM

I’m interested in troubleshooting your issue: please verify the following items

“I upgraded to Win 10 only to find printer and software not compatible so I tried to revert back to Win 7”

--- I thought this meant your Windows 10 was working but had incompatibility issues

How did you attempt to revert back to Windows 7?

This is

On trying to revert back to Windows 7 from Windows 10

The blue win 10 symbol appears on the screen

Then briefly shows  "Attempting to recover installation"

Then "Restoring your previous version of windows..."

Part way to reverting to Win 7 it reboots and the same thing happens over and over endlessly

Is this when it goes back to the Bios page , keeps trying and continues in this loop

#9 xAnti_HerOx

xAnti_HerOx

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:09 AM

So I have run into quite a lot of issues with Windows 10 as well during Rollback. 

Sadly, it sounds like the Windows Operating System is severely damaged and/or corrupt. I ran into this issue a few times, and had to completely erase everything and perform a Clean Installation of Windows 7. 

If  you can not access the Operating as a Whole then we are left with not many recovery options to try to save any files. 

I would recommend performing a full shut down on the system ie. Force Shut Down, Unplug PC System from Power, And Press Power Button a few times to Drain Motherboard, and Reconnect everything and turn on the system again and see if we are still stuck in the "Reverting Window"

If YES: You may want to have a professional, if you can not yourself, remove the HD from the System and Connect it Externally to another PC and try to "Save" Any Files that may still be on the HardDrive

If NOT: I would recommend Backing up files Immediately and Then Proceed with an OS Reinstall as it appears the System Reverting will Cause Errors and/or Issues. 

4mKMIUp.jpg

"The human spirit must prevail over technology". -Albert Einstein 

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:02 PM

“I upgraded to Win 10 only to find printer and software not compatible so I tried to revert back to Win 7”

For verification, does this mean that you can boot into Windows 10?

#11 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:29 AM

Thanks to all who tried to help

I'm afraid I lost patience trying to fix the problem.

I was locked out of both Win 10 and 7 and couldn't find a solution soon enough

Finally I cloned the HD using Easeus then ran recovery using the 3 HP recovery discs that I had making a completely fresh install of Win 7

Then I inserted the clone drive into the PC as a second HD and transferred all data

Then I had to re install all programs.

It all took the best part of a day but at least I have a completely clean system as a result

It seems I'm not the only one who have had issues with Win 10 trying to revert to Win 7

I'm going to wait until microsoft has had time to discover issues and iron out any teething problems before trying to upgrade to 10

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:19 AM

Juliasdream that was a good decision. There are many "unknowns" in upgrading to Windows 10. What I don't understand is Microsoft can do the upgrade but lose the ability to allow reverting back to the previous OS. They have been in business for how many years? But can't undo what they did? Anyway in case you'd like to know there is a major update for Windows 10 in October. Good luck

#13 antoniuni

antoniuni

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:56 PM

Juliasdream that was a good decision. There are many "unknowns" in upgrading to Windows 10. What I don't understand is Microsoft can do the upgrade but lose the ability to allow reverting back to the previous OS. They have been in business for how many years? But can't undo what they did? Anyway in case you'd like to know there is a major update for Windows 10 in October. Good luck

My private opinion is that Windows is using the trust of their customers to make Windows 10 clear and clean to sell the program finally! Why is a company like that "offering" Windows 10 free of charge to crowds of their customers??

I also felt for it stupidly and the regret came too late! I had a lot of problems to install Windows 7 again from scrap. Never more again I shall be trapped into lost of blablabla!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users