Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can vista be installed on a newer model PC??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 theboyupthestreet

theboyupthestreet

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:47 AM

Still fairly new to the forum, forgive me if this is a stupid question haha....I just couldn't find a detailed enough answer anywhere else online and figured I ask someone on here.

I have a Compaq PC, windows vista, got it in 2006 or somewhere around that time. I'm thinking of upgrading to maybe a gaming PC(not a gamer, I just like the really cool designs) anyway....I was curious if vista could be installed on a newer model PC, i'm not a fan of windows 8 or 10...really big on vista. 

Could it be installed and work without any sort of complications? and if so, how would i go about having it done?? i thought about contacting geek squad at best buy but wanted to get some insight from professionals on here. all feedback and answers would be great!! thanks in advance 

Edited by theboyupthestreet, 28 August 2015 - 07:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:55 AM

If you are asking whether the Vista supplied ex-factory with a Compaq PC can be transferred to a current system, then no - apart from whether the modern hardware even supports Vista, an OEM Windows license is only valid to be activated on the original system it was supplied with.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 theboyupthestreet

theboyupthestreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

Yeah, I'm thinking of buying the actual vista software brand new and having it installed on a new pc....not transferring it from the pc i'm using now. 

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:25 AM

You'd be lucky (or unlucky depending on point of view) to be able to source a retail Vista these days. If you really wanted to try it, you would need to ensure every hardware device in the new system supported Vista. A further consideration is that Vista only gets security updates for about another 18 months, after that it will get into the same category as XP.

If you really wanted to stay with a Windows pre-8 version, I think you'd be better off to try to find a Windows 7 somewhere - updates until 2020 and not much different to Vista but better developed.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 theboyupthestreet

theboyupthestreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:11 AM

Appreciate your response!! Yeah I'm sure it'd be a lot easier to find a gaming pc with windows 7 already on it at a decent price than buying the pc + paying for the vista software + paying for someone to install it. I'll get to searching! appreciate that response, thanks!

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:22 AM

Yeah, I'm thinking of buying the actual vista software brand new and having it installed on a new pc....not transferring it from the pc i'm using now. 

YEAH you can install it.  I installed XP to a 2012 model Dell laptop Latitude 6530 i5 and an older i5.  I just bought another copy retail Vista Business because it has some unique features I want to keep.  I paid only $25 for it at Amazon, brand new still in shrinkwrap.  That link shows you what it looks like.  That's the RETAIL so you can move it from one machine to the next as you update.  The Amazon link is more expensive now, but look for the same thing in Ebay, and check back in Amazon from time to time.

Or, search on laptops with Vista already installed in Amazon, Ebay and dellauction.com .  The D630 in the Amazon Link, I have, but with Win7 (I wanted Vista, but they didn't have it at the time).  But that configuration in the link, is not good. You want at least 4 GB of RAM, for Vista to become beautiful.  At that configuration, surprisingly the listings aren't cheap.

Well, you can always get a machine with no OS and the retail or unused OEM Vista (Business), which you originally wanted.

The dellauction.com is part of official dell.com, not some third party merely authorized by Dell.  But there are also plenty of Dell-authorized refurbishers in Amazon and Ebay.  Those will be the best ones.  Pick Vista Business because it's more stable and supported.  If you'll go with Dell (which doesn't require special drivers for bare-metal installs, neither XP through Win10, the Windows default drivers will work well enough to install) -- if you go through Dell, get the Latitudes or Precisions.

There's also delloutlet.com.  Here's their list of VISTA machines.  These are all business machines coming off-lease, so are completely cleaned anew by Dell itself.  I've bought 7 machines directly from them, one of which was Vista.  Of the ones shown, I have the Optiplex 780 (on which I'm typing, have another one also, and the Vista is a 760), and the other Vista shown in that link which I have, is a 6410 (really neat machine).

I don't like Vista Home Basic, but maybe you do.  Business or Ultimate will be better values as there is more support, but you decide.  Point is, you're getting it from Dell directly.

I never have trouble installing Windows clean to a Dell machine.  But if you prefer some other brand, well that's your sovereign choice.

Yell at me if I'm unclear, obtuse, or offensive. :bubbles:

Edited by brainout, 28 August 2015 - 09:29 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#7 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:01 PM

Just to let you know Vista is a good os. I had Gateway GT5692 Computer from 2008 to December 2014 It had Vista Preinstalled. I had no issues with it but for Christmas last year I went out and got my HP Envy with windows 8.1 and now im hooked on 8.1 and theres no lookin back. It will be hard to find a copy of Vista these days.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users