Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Here's a good one ...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RVAH-12

RVAH-12

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:39 AM

I checked for windows updates.  Nothing new, but then I noticed that it claimed "Last Update" = "Never".  So I go to Update History and it was completely blank!  Then I looked at "installed Updates" and the were all (I think) listed.

I think it has something to do with my disabling all 4 Diagnostic Services.  Thinking about it, I may have stumbled upon something ... maybe no more disguised Win 10 installs.  I tried to do a manual update and it came back with "No updates Available."  Or, maybe I have just cooked my own goose and won't get anymore security updates.  I'm at a loss.  I'll go back and reactivate the different services one at a time to see ... BBL.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:05 AM

Did you play with the files inside the C:\Windows\Software­Distribution\DataStore folder? If you renamed the folder, or deleted the files inside it's normal, since your update history is located there.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:29 AM

If you uninstalled any of the Windows Update Client updates it resets your Updates history.

#4 RVAH-12

RVAH-12
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:48 AM

If you uninstalled any of the Windows Update Client updates it resets your Updates history.

Nope, didn't do that.  I removed the first Win 10 infiltration attempt a while back when that started,  I've hidden a couple of disguised Win 10 telephony updates and have tried to be vigilant to remain Win 10 free.  But the DiagTracker Service has been exposed as really another Win 10 program to help them sneak information from other OSs.  I can't understand how they get away with it.  I've been at this for 17 hrs. now and I'm really 'burnt'.  I will see what enabling one of the 4 diagnostic services that I disabled after I get a few winks.  ;-)  Thanks for the thought.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:02 AM

I doubt enabling any of these tracking services will do anything but it can't hurt.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users