Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 realtek/synaptic problems causing cursor lag

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sumpsimus

sumpsimus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:22 AM

Hi all,

I recently performed a fresh install of Windows 10 and its been working perfectly for a couple of weeks. However, since a recent update I've been having a strange problem. Basically after this update I had a new icon appear in my taskbar called 'Realtek HD Audio Manager'. Since this happened my touchpad cursor has become laggy to the point of being almost unusable. The speed of the system overall doesn't seem to be affected (though it's difficult to tell) and my CPU/RAM usage is not spiking noticeably when this happens.

I tried uninstalling the Realtek drivers through Add/remove programs. After I rebooted the icon was gone and the problem seemed to be fixed (sound worked fine). However, next time I rebooted my machine the icon was back and so was the laggy cursor movement!

Went through this with a microsoft tech and he found that uninstalling the touchpad driver and rebooting also fixed the problem. Cursor slowed to a crawl (different drivers?) but was not laggy. However, once again, a second reboot caused the problem to recur (cursor movement back up to normal speed, but laggy again).

I can't really fathom what's going on. It's a lenovo laptop so my one guess is that some borked or conflicting drivers are being reinstalled from the recovery partition on the second reboot. Anyone have any ideas?

My machine is a a Lenovo Thinkpad Twist S230u.

Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:39 AM

Hello,

I have HP so i am not sure if Lenovo does this but

with HP under C: there is a Folder called SWSetup and when you uninstall a driver it will automaticlay reinstall it so you have to go into that folder and find the audio

driver then delete it from the PC.

Now i don't know if Lenovo has a folder like that so; could you please send a screenshot of your C:\ Folder so can see if there is a folder like that?.

Edited by 1029rjmenvy17t, 28 August 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:51 AM

Hi

Try going to this page:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-twist-series-laptops/thinkpad-twist-s230u

It is the Lenovo driver download page for the model You posted, Most of them are now available for Windows 10. I suggest using the Lenovo drivers, They made it, they know the hardware.

This appears to be the audio driver:

Windows 10 (32-bit)
Windows 10 (64-bit)
Windows 8 (32-bit)
Windows 8 (64-bit)

and the Touchpad

Windows 10 (32-bit)
Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 August 2015 - 11:52 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 sumpsimus

sumpsimus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:50 AM

Thanks both,

I uninstalled the original Realtek drivers and then installed the new ones from the Lenovo website (thanks for the links - when I looked I could only seem to see versions up to Windows 8.1, not 10). Then a windows update installed new synaptics touchpad drivers. That seems to have done the trick - laggy mouse problems are now gone. Still not sure exactly what was going on, but glad it is now resolved...

Cheers,

Rob

#5 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:50 AM

Hello,

Glad to have been of help.

Please come back anytime you like :) 

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:35 AM

Thanks both,

I uninstalled the original Realtek drivers and then installed the new ones from the Lenovo website (thanks for the links - when I looked I could only seem to see versions up to Windows 8.1, not 10). Then a windows update installed new synaptics touchpad drivers. That seems to have done the trick - laggy mouse problems are now gone. Still not sure exactly what was going on, but glad it is now resolved...

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob

Glad that the links helped. FWIW They had windows 10 drivers available for most of the hardware in that model when I looked. Where possible I always preferred the manufacturers drivers over generic Windows drivers as I feel that they are more likely to be optimized to the hardware.

Have a Great Week

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users