Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 failure on two laptops

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 daretoblossom

daretoblossom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:10 AM

Hello

My husband has two laptops running Wimdows 7, one at home and one at work. Last night we had a broadband drop-out, just for a few moments. At the same time, his laptop,at home, on which he was working on-line on at the time, locked up entirely. When he restarted it a black screen came up with the error message:
"Windows failed to start - a recent a recent hardware or software change might be the cause."
Status 0xc00000e9

It gives two options, repair, or normal start but neither works.

So, he assumed his laptop had 'died'. This monring he checked that the one he has spare at work was working OK - all fine. Then when he brought it home and switched it on, exactly the same error message came up! He has not yet been back to work to see if the second laptop works there, we are rather worried that it may be a terminal fault.

We have never come across this before, has anyone here?

And is there a way of getting into a DOS window and running something like System Restore that may fix this?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:53 PM

0xc00000e9 is an "unexpected I/O error"

In most cases these are hardware problems - but they don't always have to be.

For starters, try running Startup Repair.  If it doesn't work from the machine itself, then try it from a repair disk:  https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-vista-or-7.html

Once in Startup Repair there are options for the Command Prompt and for System Restore.

Did the laptop work once it was taken back to work?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 daretoblossom

daretoblossom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:12 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for your suggestions. Neither laptop worked when taken to the other site. There is no repair disc unfortunately, and following the suggestions in the article you linked to didn't seem to work.

As it is a bank holiday weekend here in the UK, no chance of getting hold of a technician to look at the hardware until Tuesday at the earliest, so any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:41 AM

Bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

Normally with this sort of error I'd expect a hardware problem - but for it to happen to 2 computers in a row is highly unlikely.

But, supposing that there's a periodic surge in the power - this might damage 2 computers in fairly short order.

Still, as you can't get into Windows, the bootable diagnotics are the place to start.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users