Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Internet Security & Windows 10 problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 andrew193

andrew193

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:25 AM

I've been using NIS for many years without any major problems but since installing Win 10 it's been a nightmare. Can't get access to the program or Vault as it seems to be locked out, had it removed and reinstalled by Norton support 4 times now and It works ok after this but as soon as i shut down my laptop and start up again it's locked out.

Had enough of the problems so having it removed completely and intend replacing it with another program. I've looked around at McAfee, Kaspersky and a couple of others but wondered overall which is a good replacement for NIS?

Any advice welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:34 AM

Depending whether you are looking for free or paid.....

I find that Bit Defender Free plays very nicely with Windows 10.....FIND IT HERE

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:50 AM

All Internet Security products include antivirus and firewall protection plus various other features...that is why the package is called a suite.

Security suites

So called "security suites" were first offered for sale in 2003 (McAfee) and contain a suite of firewalls, anti-virus, anti-spyware and more. They may now offer theft protection, portable storage device safety check, private Internet browsing, cloud anti-spam, a file shredder or make security-related decisions (answering popup windows) and several were free of charge as of at least 2012.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites are filled with extra features (including "bells & whistles") which typically use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task while other suites leave a much smaller footprint. Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Most Internet Security Suites include a Firewall, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in firewall is adequate protection and many folks also use a router. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.

If you are adamant about using a suite, then I would recommend one of the following:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:32 AM

Thanks Condobloke. Bit Defender looks intresting.

Quietman7 Taken a look at Kaspersky which looks good and can get a 30 day trial so might give that a go and see how it goes.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:22 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community and good luck.

#6 kevin7030

kevin7030

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:54 AM

This my first time thank you for the other virus program I all was use Microsoft essentials but nice to have other I can use

All Internet Security products include antivirus and firewall protection plus various other features...that is why the package is called a suite.

Security suites

So called "security suites" were first offered for sale in 2003 (McAfee) and contain a suite of firewalls, anti-virus, anti-spyware and more. They may now offer theft protection, portable storage device safety check, private Internet browsing, cloud anti-spam, a file shredder or make security-related decisions (answering popup windows) and several were free of charge as of at least 2012.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites are filled with extra features (including "bells & whistles") which typically use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task while other suites leave a much smaller footprint. Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Most Internet Security Suites include a Firewall, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in firewall is adequate protection and many folks also use a router. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.

If you are adamant about using a suite, then I would recommend one of the following:

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:03 PM

This my first time thank you for the other virus program I all was use Microsoft essentials but nice to have other I can use

Not a problem and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

#8 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:11 AM

I have used ESET NOD32 vs 8, free version for a month, have windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, , it is expiring, and I was going to update to pay version, reasonable, their easy version, is not easy to update. They only have 12 hour live support. I don't know what  to do now.

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#9 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:18 AM

Started using Kaspersky's Internet Security on a free 30 trial and so far impressed. Easy installation/use and dosn't seem to slow my system down. Probably pay for it when it expires especially as there offering it for £12 for a years use :)

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:38 PM

I have used ESET NOD32 vs 8, free version for a month, have windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, , it is expiring, and I was going to update to pay version, reasonable, their easy version, is not easy to update. They only have 12 hour live support. I don't know what to do now.

Once your ESET NOD32 Antivirus 30-day trial expires, some program configuration settings, including entering your new license information, will be unavailable. If you have purchased a full version license and have received a second email message containing your ESET-issued Username and Password, continue reading below to upgrade to the full version. To upgrade your trial version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus to the full version after expiration, uninstall and reinstall your ESET product.

My ESET NOD32 Antivirus 30-day trial has expired but I purchased a license—why can't I upgrade to the full version

If you need additional assistance, I suggest you contact the ESET Support Team by email for individual assistance or start a new topic in the applicable Customer Support Forum.

#11 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:22 PM

I know that Symantec not to long ago patched Norton to work with Windows 10. I don't have Windows 10 but I use Norton 360 and I know that was recently patched or updated for Windows 10. I am on Windows 8.1 by the way. I just found out its like $89.00 a year to keep 360 Norton running.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:33 AM

Windows 10 Approved Security Products