Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Success at last

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 carbuff

carbuff

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:34 AM

It has taken twenty-nine days for me to figure out that I was wrong in my assumptions regarding Windows 10. I had accepted the hype about the ease that this OS would bring to me.  My error was that I should have read more carefully the comments posted by experienced users.  Instead of heeding them and acted more wisely, I chose instead to “save” time by simply upgrading from Windows 7 and expecting everything to run smoothly.  If I had done a clean installation after upgrading as many posters had recommended, I would have saved myself hours of effort and frustration.

Doing it my way resulted in incurring one problem after another.   My adventures with this installation are documented in previous threads I have posted. When I was finally able to install W10 by upgrading from Windows 7, I encountered failures with 3rd party apps as well as functional W10 apps.  The final straw was at Wednesday at midnight.  It was then I lost the start menu completely. I could not access any of my programs through it and found the only way to power down was by pressing the button on the computer case. I went to bed in frustration.

A half hour later, I got up and I reread a number posts from others that I had printed for reference.   Those about doing a clean install finally registered on me. It became clear to me that the problems I had were not with Windows 10 but with all of the garbage I brought into Windows 10 from my previous drivers and files when I updated from Windows 7.   Many of those carryovers were simply incompatible with W10 even if though they had not been challenged by W10 in its initial assessment of my computer.

Armed with a better understanding, I accessed the repair disk I had made, followed instructions that other much brighter OP’s had written, did a clean install, then brought  3rd party programs to the party and darned if my desktop operated the way Microsoft advertised it would.

I have kept my desktop powered on since then to now Friday early morning.  It has operated with no failures.  Every function I have tried works. The speed of my boot is 16 seconds. Access to my three internal SSD’s  and three HDD’s  in USB 3.0 hubs is flawless.  I have made images, backups checked Windows updates and 3rd party program updates. My internet works and the start menu works. I can power down by clicking on the menu and am giddy like a child in a candy store.

If I had one suggestion to make to those who are about to do the free update, it would be to do so and then DO A CLEAN INSTALL. Do not waste your time trying to save time by simply updating and not doing any more.   That is what I did and it did not work.

I have learned from this experience to read more carefully the wise comments from those who really know computing. I should have done so and did not trusting my limited knowledge. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:39 AM

I have learned from this experience

At the end of the day that's all that is important, You learned something new.

Now if you really want to learn something try Linux.

#3 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:01 AM

It is really cool & great that you ultimately have come to be enjoying Windows 10.

There could, also, be another caveat here.  It is critical, important & imperative when doing in-place conversions of an OS that the OS being replaced is clean & healthy.

You had issues using the Upgrade installation route & good results following a Custom install.  Should mention such a scenario may not be commonplace & not necessarily to be expected.  Many, if not most, Upgrades to Win 10 are successful.  Personally, have done several all snag-free.  Admittedly, so far, none have been from 7 although, have, also, read of others switching from 7 successfully.

And my own Win10s (PC & laptop) are both Upgrades and couldn't be any better.

The Upgrade can & does work acceptably.

And you are very right about the existing OS needing to  be in good condition.; that's a must, a basic 'Best Practice'.

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:55 AM

LOL carbuff, I had your experience in the year 2000, exact same thing, with a machine thrown in the trash.  Google on my nick and  'janitor named Jesus' if you want to know the story, I've told it many times.  Point is, that machine was a Windows 95 machine someone tried to in-place-upgrade with Win98.

Insiders didn't have to do what you did.  We got to choose to install clean to a separate partition.  The installer asked for and checked for an existing Windows eligible on the machine, but then would allow a clean install to a separate partition. 

But the official installer, won't allow that.  So it's MSFT's fault that it wouldn't.  All your pain and suffering would have been avoided.  Instead, three weeks after millions like you suffered, it was admitted that the ONLY option to use for the installer was 'upgrade' (the only way you could do it anyway).. but elect 'Keep Nothing' =no files, programs, etc., in other words -- a clean install.  Poorly worded, to say the least.

MSFT seems to be imploding.  Hopefully only for a little while and it will resume sanity.  Meanwhile, at least you have a working machine!  0eD39.gifdance.gif

Edited by brainout, 28 August 2015 - 04:56 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:17 AM

Never miss an opportunity or a chance to make one

Millions?  And that # is from what source?

Then million successful, too.

Tiring...

Misleading

Edited by Drew1903, 28 August 2015 - 05:20 AM.

#6 ScaleCraft

ScaleCraft

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

Tiring...

Misleading

Yes.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:04 PM

Now if you really want to learn something try Linux.

:lol:

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users