Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bluekitty

bluekitty

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:11 AM

So my husband and I have finally gotten around to getting a router, so that our Smart TV might actually be smart. This is our first one, and probably is not

going to be the ideal one to eventually cut the cable cord and stream lots on the tv and pc, but it will do for "practice". My first question is pratical, should I or should I not turn the router off at night when not in use or when on a trip. Will this cause any issues? Our modem turns off automatically when the computer shuts

down, but the router had to go in an always on slot. I would prefer it be off, but not if it will be a problem. And  if anybody has any suggestions for what type of router we should get, we would like to be able to stream Netflix and Sling TV on the Samsung smart tv. Thanks in advance for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:19 AM

Routers and Modems today are designed not to be powered off (or rather designed to work non-stop for a few years), however you can turn it off, if you go on a trip for a few days. However, if you plan to use it everyday, I wouldn't turn it off every night.

Also, a general suggestion on a router cannot be made. It depends on a lot of variables like: What is your budget, where is your router going to be located compared to where you plan to use your other devices, what do you plan on running through them - media (audio, video, pictures), or do you plan to use games on them. Please remember, that you'll have to remember to account for all computers or devices connected to your router, not just your primary purpose (the TV).

Please let us know, and we should be able to help.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:13 AM

Our modem turns off automatically when the computer shuts down, but the router had to go in an always on slot.

I am not sure what that means. Who is your ISP? What is the make and model of the modem?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 bluekitty

bluekitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:55 AM

CaveDweller2 I was talking about the power strip the computer is attached to. Any parepharrels plugged in certain spots will shut down with the computer(speakers, monitor, etc...). There

are a couple of always on slots independent from computer. Sorry for not being clearer.

Amarkkassery thanks, that what I needed to know. When we get closer to needed a new router I'll be sure to provide some more detail, thanks.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:48 PM

Ah ok, well if you are shutting the modem down every night you might as well shut the router off as well. It's not really doing anything at that point, except being a switch and if no one is going to be using it no point in it being on.

Most people don't shut either off cause it takes time for them to boot up. At least mine does, like 4 minutes before I am back online. THAT IS AN ETERNITY! lol

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:03 PM

Depending on the TV some manufactures recommend using a Wired connection Vs a Wireless connection for streaming video (If the device supports a Wired Connection). 

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:06 PM

Turning devices off and on put the electronics under more stress and increases the chance of failure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users