Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Database Created With Win 7 Drops Records in Win 8.1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frank1492

frank1492

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:51 PM

You may spot the problem right away, but I am stumped. I use a program called "Collectibles Organizer Deluxe" to keep track of my collections. The  program resides on a Win 7 computer, though it is supposedly compatible with Win 8 and 8.1.

As records are added, the entire program folder is backed up on a thumb drive via copy/paste. When the .exe file on the thumb drive is opened, all the records appear properly when the thumb drive resides on the Win 7 computer. However, when the thumb drive is moved to the Win 8.1 computer, and the .exe file is opened on that computer, the new records do not display. A "properties" check reveals that the original program folder (residing on the Win 7 computer) and the copied program folder on the thumb drive have identical properties.

What gives? Is this evidence of a copy protection scheme?

Help much appreciated.

Frank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:57 AM

Hi. . .

No app should ever write out to \Program Files folder as it may be "virtualizable".  Output written to \Program Files often ends up in the Virtual Store -  %userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

IDK if that is the case here or not, but it's a definite possibility.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927387

Check your user profile's Virtual Store - see if the program's output is there.  Also check the Administrator (so named) account's Virtual Store.

Starting with Vista, especially with Windows 7, more so with Windows 8 + 8.1 and now Windows 10 -- what you see is rarely what is actually there.  Smoke & Mirrors done for security reasons primarily, but other reasons as well.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:29 PM

I am looking at the link but am confused. Everything that I need to properly display the data is apparently available on the thumb drive when run in Win 7. So when the app on that drive is run in Win 8 what is it looking for that it can't find? Bear in mind that I am a 5 on a 1-10 scale.

#4 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:42 PM

In c:/users/frank000/local/appdata/virtualstore I see a couple of items that might relate to this app but do I just guess that they were generated by this app and move them?

#5 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:52 PM

• Look in the C:\Users\User_name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore folder to locate files and folders.
  • Save your application's data in a folder under your user profile.
  • OK. There are a couple of files in the VirtualStore folder that definitely pertain to the app, but I do not understand what it means by "Save your...profile." Could you explain this in detail? Does this mean to copy these files to another folder which I create? Name? And exactly where do I place this folder?Sorry, need specifics. Thanks for your help.

#6 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:30 AM

What's happening here is that the app is writing (or thinks it is) to the folder in \Program Files folder.

Windows then redirects it to the Virtual Store, without the app knowing anything about it.  The app goes to get the data it wrote in \Ptogram Files, only it's not there -- it's in the User Profile Virtual Store.  The app doesn't know this.

You could probably copy the data over to Program Files, but would have to do so every time following the app writing output. 

Maybe there's a way to change the output location -- Look for something under "options" in the app that allows output to be written to a location of your choice.

I'm not sure what's meant by  "Save your...profile." either -- that doesn't make any sense to me at this time.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users