Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

resolution won't change

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 dave1969

dave1969

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:19 PM

I have XP with SP3 D845GVSR motherboard and 512mb RAM. I recently had to reinstall my OS because of a BSOD and corrupted files. My resolution was stuck at 640*480 and 8 bit color. A friend had a Nvidia graphics card and he put it in but I never have been able to fix the original problem.The Nvidia works fine. Mainboard  default graphics  still won't. I have been on 2 other forums and their advice was to make sure all motherboard chipset and video drivers (from Intel site) were downloaded and correct. I believe I've accomplished that but no fix. I don't know what else to do. Could I have a bad integrated circuit (part of one anyway) that could make my problem unfixable? HELP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:00 AM

Is the Monitor listed as Non Plug & Play in Device Manager ? Try installing Intels Extreme Graphics 2 Driver.

Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:31 PM

In device manager I have Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PV/GV Graphics Controller and Nvidia GForce 2 under Display adapters. Under Monitor I have default monitor and plug and play monitor. The last graphics I downloaded per link given me by another forum was win2K_xp14103.exe , file version 2.11.15.0 which is the Intel Extreme Graphics Package - I should already have that driver-shoudn't I. I will look for it though. Before I downloaded that file my graphics package was 8210 in device manager by the way. I saw that graphics package listed on the Intel site and it said it was no longer available for download. Is HD Extreme graphics the correct one or will more than 1 package work. Thanks for the quick reply.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:56 PM

Motherboard Drivers

I would uninstall all current video/graphics drivers installed...then download and install the second driver on the list I linked to.

Louis

#5 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:58 AM

In device manager I have Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PV/GV Graphics Controller and Nvidia GForce 2 under Display adapters. Under Monitor I have default monitor and plug and play monitor. The last graphics I downloaded per link given me by another forum was win2K_xp14103.exe , file version 2.11.15.0 which is the Intel Extreme Graphics Package - I should already have that driver-shoudn't I. I will look for it though. Before I downloaded that file my graphics package was 8210 in device manager by the way. I saw that graphics package listed on the Intel site and it said it was no longer available for download. Is HD Extreme graphics the correct one or will more than 1 package work. Thanks for the quick reply.

I had the exact same problem, 8bit color and not being able to increase resolution after reinstalling both XP Pro and XP Home Edition within the last two weeks. The Intel download that fixed it is W2k_xp1417.  (Intel Extreme Graphios 2).  You should not have to install any Nvidia boards, drivers, or any other drivers.   After Installation in Device Manager:

Display Adapters = Intel ® 82865G Graphics Controller

Monitor = Plug and Play Monitor

#6 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:38 PM

I couldn't find that file at Intel site -I searched (as a last resort ) and it said no downloads available for that file. I also tried to find it at DriverZone - I found one for Intel Extreme Graphics 2 but it wasn't even close. Could you please provide a link or another source. Thanks again for quick response. You guys are good! One other thing. In device manager my computer lists a 6.14.10.4342 graphics driver file which I stumbled across on DriverZone listed as a Dell file - any significance?

#7 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:14 AM

I do not deal with those Driver Sites and recommend you do the same. You think you are getting what you need, but other junk is there instead ! And, sorry, I gave you the wrong file name. It should be win2k_xp1417.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/9506/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-Driver-zip-

This worked on Dell Desktop Optiplex GX270.

#8 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:56 PM

Sorry but that xp1417 didn't work. It did install 1 time and let me open control panel and it put an icon in control panel (didn't open though ) but still wouldn't change my resolution. When it didn't work I reinstalled  win2k_xp14103. When I reinstalled xp1417 again control panel wouldn;t populate and Windows Explorer said it had a problem and needed to close. Dr, Watson debugger window also came up and I had to close it with task manager. xp1417 wouldn't install from setup.exe but xp14103 (6.14.10.4342) would. I have tried one other file that screwed up control panel the exact same way. Though xp1417 file wasn't exactly right for the Intel D845gvsr motherboard it still should have worked - right? Should I try some other drivers ? xp14103 seems to be the only one that control panel works ok with. Thanks again

'    

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:57 AM

I've known of the Intel video being rather sensitive to any failed or unsuitable driver installations causing subsequent drivers to also fail to install correctly. What can cure this is to boot into Safe Mode (repeatedly tap F8 during boot, if you don't know of accessing Safe Mode), and in Device Manager remove all driver references to Intel or nVidia. Doing this in Safe Mode should enable removal of all failed, clashing or phantom installs. Reboot and be sure chipset support has been installed, as you want to be sure Windows deals correctly with AGP, then install the correct certified driver pack from the Intel download link, and see how it goes.

Edited by Platypus, 31 August 2015 - 12:58 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:30 AM

If you have not removed (uninstalled) all drivers and hardware that you have previously installed, it probably will not work. I think you have a mess already, with everything you have tried. And read the Caceats on Intel site about "Not working if 3rd party boards installed. Do the "SAFE Mode uninstalls someone else just suggested.

#11 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:39 PM

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling everything but Nvidia in safe mode - no fix. I didn't do Nvidia because I had a problem with AVC device once (had a caution sign in device manager ) so I uninstalled it (hoping to fix it) and it wouldn't reinstall. It installed Media  something instead. I don't want to lose Nvidia graphics too! I noticed in safe mode I had only default graphics (no Nvidia) with 640*480 resolution but I had 16 or 32 bit color vs. 8 bit in normal mode. Also everything else would change ,screen saver ,wallpaper etc. Why does everything work but resolution change. Can the exact individual file that controls resolution change be isolated and checked out ? I appreciate your patience and if this is about all that can be done I will keep trying uninstall/reinstall every so often and hope it works one lucky time. One last thought - would a complete OS reinstall maybe work? Thanks a bunch What does AVC stand for anyway?

#12 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:28 AM

Go into device manager once again and expand "Display Adapter", "Monitor",  and "Sound video Game Controllers".

Display adapter will be the Intel Graphics Controller for your Computer Model.

Monitor should read Plug & Play

Sound, Video, Game controllers  should have no yellow warnings (Exclamation Points)

See attached example.

Attached Files

#13 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:38 AM

I think your problem is convoluted by having BOTH Plug & Play, and Default, under Monitor. It should be Plug & Play. And did I miss what computer make & model you have ?

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:07 AM

Without being able to start with a clean sheet and be sure you were successfully installing the exact driver package specified by Intel for your mainboard, we're still not sure exactly where we stand.

Is the Plug & Play monitor the one selected in Display Settings?

What do you get if you click Advanced and on the Adapter tab click List All Modes?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#15 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

Make and model - Intel D845GVSR. Default monitor is on Intel D845G graphics controller and Plug and Play monitor is on NvidiGeForce 2. This is under display properties - settings. In device manager it shows Intel 82845GV graphics controller and then Nvidia GeForce2 under display adapters. It shows default monitor and plug and play monitor under monitors (no identifiers). Hope that's clear. Sound, video,game is ok. Mutimedia Audio Controller has yellow ?- not important-right. Under display settings Nvidia is listed as (1) plug and play and Intel 82845GV is listed as (2) default. The Nvidia is always used until I select Intel from the drop down menu to try and change the resolution. List all modes shows 640*480 thru 1536*2048. In safe mode Intel graphics were used but with 32 bit color  not 8 bit - so they do work. I'm almost positive the driver package is correct. I checked properties for Win2k_xp14103.exe file and it said version 6.14.10.4342 which is for Intel Extreme graphics D845g board  and is listed in device manager. Feel free to double check me though. With 2 graphics options don't I have to have a default and doesn't it have to list them both. I don't understand the problem with that. I used to have an AVC device listed in device manager with an exclamation point but when I uninstalled it to try and reinstall to fix it it was replaced by Multimedia audio controller. What does AVC stand for and could it have been part of the problem? Hope I didn't miss anything. Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users