Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help with Outlook 2013 and trash folder deleting emails on its own??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:01 PM

I just started using Outlook 2013 on my Windows 7 laptop.  and I noticed that it's deleting items from my trash folder even though the box "empty deleted items folder when exiting Outlook" is unchecked.  huh? It would make more sense if that box was checked but it is not. Is there another place to uncheck something so that my deleted emails don't get deleted?

and okay, why am I concerned about messages being deleted from the trash folder anyway? because occasionally I need to look for deleted emails.  not very often but it has happened.  so I keep some of the ones that I've deleted.  well, not any more since I just discovered this issue in the last week.

any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:43 PM

I figured out a temporary work around. I checked the box and now it asks me if I want to delete the emails in my trash folder.  it's annoying to have to answer this question but at least emails aren't being deleted on their own.........for now.

would love to hear if anyone knows another way around this.  thanks in advance!!

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:08 PM

I hate Outlook 2013!!! now I'm having an issue with sent items ending up in both my sent AND my trash folders?????

does anyone know how to solve my Outlook issues? I will google some more to see if there's any info out there in the ether.......

#4 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:53 PM

can anyone help? I have not found much googling. I did find something regarding server settings but was unable to find that in control panel or Outlook options.

here's the link with the server stuff that i wonder if it's my issue. post #2 is what I was trying to find on my machine with Windows 7.....

https://pcandtablet.com/outlook-2013/1052/when-i-use-my-outlook-2013-it-deletes-all-emails-from-server-inbox-and-keeps-only-out.html

Edited by tobyo, 06 September 2015 - 11:56 PM.

#5 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:21 AM

does it have something to do with the fact that my email is set up as IMAP for the incoming server?  seems that used to be POP when I had Outlook 2010.  If so....how do I fix that?

can anyone shed any light on this please?  many thanks for any help.........

#6 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:49 AM

yea, pretty sure this IMAP vs. POP thing is my issue. I've noticed other odd things because I access this email account via the web as well as Outlook 2010 on another machine.......I hate Outlook 2013.  I had no idea it would default to IMAP.  and now I'm reading about switching to POP3 and it doesn't sound easy. unless I'm missing something......

:(

:crazy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users