Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 40.0.2 choppy, freezes in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:06 PM

OK, this is really bizarre so I'll try to describe it as well as I can.

It's been quite few days now since my Firefox became...hmmm...choppy or having hiccups.

It's like hesitate at random times at random actions.

I'd be scrolling some longer page and scrolling will freeze for a second or two, then goes fine until next time.

I'm typing something and all of sudden it won't type for a second or two. Then all typed letters will eventually appear.

Clicking on a link will go fine and then some link will hesitate.

I'll hover my mouse over some link and it may take a second for cursor to change to "hand".

Just like a hiccup once in a while.

=============================================

Now, I did a lot of searching and try number of fixes to no avail.

At first I thought cache. Cleaned. Nothing.

Some nVidia video card users discovered choppiness with version 40.0 but it was fixed with version 40.0.2.

I have AMD Radeon but I checked my video driver anyway and it's the newest one.

Some users suggested trying 39.0.3 version. Did that. Same thing.

Chrome, Edge and IE work fine.

I restarted Firefox with no addons. Same problem.

Restarted computer in Safe Mode with Networking and there Firefox seemed to fine which gave me some hope.

Restarted in normal mode, disabled all non-MS services and Firefox seemed to be OK.

Spent couple of hours re-enabling all those services one by one restarting computer each time.

Firefox seemed to be OK but by the time I re-enabled last service the issue was back so I couldn't pin point any culprit.

I totally uninstalled Firefox, installed fresh copy and the issue was present on pristine installation.

Installed Pale Moon and Waterfox browsers which are Gecko engine based like Firefox. Same issue.

Frankly speaking I'm running out of ideas.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 louie469

louie469

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:17 PM

its crazy i have the same issues with windows 8.1 an firefox 40.0.2

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:20 PM

G'day Broni,

I have experienced a similar thing....using firefox 40.02....I initially put some of it down to mouse drivers (logitech mx revolution).....but that has proven not to be the problem. Same behavior exists with an ordinary mouse.

I also noticed in Thunderbird, in particular, that the "spinning circle" would hover beside the mouse pointer when there was really no earthly reason for it to do so.

It does this in firefox as well but not to the same extent

I have also done 'the thing;' with add ons....no change whatsoever.

I noticed these little discrepancies as soon as win X was installed.....no tin hat crap going on here.......but I am left wondering !!

(As we speak i notice that firefox have released 40.03......??....we live in hope !)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 42,709 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:33 PM

I'm really glad to see that I'm not alone with this issue.

Just update to 40.0.3 and still same issue.

I also tried pristine installation of FF 41 beta and it has same problem.

One user on my site also reports same issue on Windows 8.1.

I also suspected couple of Windows updates which were installed on August 18th: KB3081444 and KB3081441.

I was able to uninstall first one (it didn't fix the issue) but unfortunately KB3081441 cumulative update can't be uninstalled (no "uninstall" option).

What video card do you guys use?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

Graphics Card: XFX GTX260

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 42,709 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:51 PM

That's nVidia. Did you check for newer driver?

Are you with Windows 10?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:55 PM

no....the pc is new to me....and it worked.......so did not check

sorry...win 10....sorry....doing 6 thihgs at once here

Edited by Condobloke, 27 August 2015 - 07:57 PM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 42,709 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:58 PM

I've read that updating nVidia drivers fixed the issue for many people.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:17 PM

thanks for that Broni, I will give that a try

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 42,709 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:52 PM

You're welcome :)

As for my video driver....

I just found this bug report: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1189266

Bug 1189266 - crashes in atidxx32.dll/atidxx64.dll (more prevalent in windows 10)

status-firefox40: affected status-firefox41: affected status-firefox42: affected      

Some guy (from ATI?) says:

FWIW, we confirmed that this is fixed in the upcoming driver release.

When is the question.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:57 PM

Downloaded and Installed 341.74 Win 10 64 bit driver....all 270 mb of it....not sure of any appreciable difference just yet....mine was quite random.

Broni...do you have any Logitech software installed ?

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 42,709 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:03 PM

I can't think of any.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:40 PM

You did run a complete Clean Boot Troubleshooting Procedure, for both Services and Startup items, right?

Edited by Phantom010, 28 August 2015 - 12:41 PM.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 42,709 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:31 PM

Yes.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

Have you tried creating a new Firefox profile and testing it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users