Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window 10

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:56 PM

Yesterday I was on my windows 7 computer and a tab popped up wanting to know if I wanted the free windows 10 installed on my computer. I declined for the time being and marked it as ask me later. If this is a legitimate download from Microsift, which I feel it is, should I do it, or should I just stay with windows 7? I would like to have a consensus on this from this forum. I don't know anything about windows 10.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

It depends a lot on your personal preference. Windows 10 is a front end to the microsoft cloud, where you are no longer the admin of your own computer, Microsoft is. What do you value more, convenience or sovereignty?

#3 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:38 PM

Sparklerstar, I don't need Microsoft in charge of my computer so I will keep windows 7. Thanks for letting me know this.

#4 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:52 PM

Hello Guys

I have Windows 10 and its great!

Yeah MS does control your MS account but you control you own PC

I recommend the upgrade :thumbsup: 

#5 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:01 PM

1029rjmenvy, thanks for the feed back. I will have to look into this a little deeper before I download it. I always like to give Microsoft time to work out all the bugs.

#6 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:11 PM

Windows 10 collects all your data and watches everything you do.

But, if privacy isnt an issue, Its a really good system and works really well

#7 1029rjmenvy17t

1029rjmenvy17t

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:17 PM

Hello Norseman143

Yes that's perfect it makes total since :thumbup2:  ​

#8 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:29 PM

I will hold off on doing anything right now. I despise windows 8. I tried to help a friend with it once and I was completely lost with it. I'm sure Microsoft will continue updating 7 for a few more years.

#9 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:30 PM

It depends on how comfortable you are with dealing with the issues that might occur, and how many back-ups you have, My upgrades went well, but I had plans B, C, and D, just in case. If you're not sure, wait a bit.

That said, I'm enjoying the OS tremendously. The privacy issues don't bother me, but I understand that they may bother others,

#10 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:31 PM

I will hold off on doing anything right now. I despise windows 8. I tried to help a friend with it once and I was completely lost with it. I'm sure Microsoft will continue updating 7 for a few more years.

10 is much easier and more like 7 than 8 was

#11 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:33 PM

I would recommend it,but with a few tweeks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/586731/compilation-windows-10-tips-tricks-and-tools-to-enhance-your-privacy/

#12 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:39 PM

Thank you all for the information you've given on windows 10. I am holding off from downloading it for a while. I am always skeptical of anything new - even automobiles.

#13 RVAH-12

RVAH-12

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:22 AM

Dude, whether you know it or not, you already have all kinds of Win 10 nasty's snooping on you PC.  If that pop-up nag is there, then what privacy you had is gone.  If you want to stay with 7 and you have good backups from like 3 months ago, I would do a clean install.  MS has misrepresent many 7 updates that actually placed win 10 spyware on win 7 machines.  Some of us are still clean, others are infested, like big-time!  I'm still trying to root the little buggers out.  It is not easy to do an MS keeps trying to find other ways to do it.  It will be a struggle to maintain a clean Win 7 machine.  After I get everything that I want backed up ... and ONLY that, I'm going to do a complete reinstall.  I'll have to spend hours to do just that, then a huge amount of time scrutinizing every single update that gets me up-to-date ... there will be hundreds!  From what I've seen, some enterprising folks are already selling software that claim to strip ALL the Win 10 crap off cleanly.  I might do that instead.  Good luck.

- RVAH-12

Edited by RVAH-12, 28 August 2015 - 05:24 AM.

#14 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:05 PM

Dude, whether you know it or not, you already have all kinds of Win 10 nasty's snooping on you PC.  If that pop-up nag is there, then what privacy you had is gone.  If you want to stay with 7 and you have good backups from like 3 months ago, I would do a clean install.  MS has misrepresent many 7 updates that actually placed win 10 spyware on win 7 machines.  Some of us are still clean, others are infested, like big-time!  I'm still trying to root the little buggers out.  It is not easy to do an MS keeps trying to find other ways to do it.  It will be a struggle to maintain a clean Win 7 machine.  After I get everything that I want backed up ... and ONLY that, I'm going to do a complete reinstall.  I'll have to spend hours to do just that, then a huge amount of time scrutinizing every single update that gets me up-to-date ... there will be hundreds!  From what I've seen, some enterprising folks are already selling software that claim to strip ALL the Win 10 crap off cleanly.  I might do that instead.  Good luck.

- RVAH-12

RVAH-12

You maybe interested in the following Link:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threa...-avoid.379151/

Particularly on Stefan Froberg related posts.

VS

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 28 August 2015 - 08:24 PM.

#15 ScaleCraft

ScaleCraft

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:25 PM

And people have the temerity to wonder why I dislike MicroSoft. And trust them even less.

Hog.

Wash.

I am ever hopeful that some of this stuff will sink in to folk's thick skulls, whoever they may be.

I am also hopeful admins of various computer-related websites can see through the smoke screen and be fully supportive of disclosure.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users