Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow and slower

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:03 PM

I hope I do not risk being scolded for posting this.

Dell laptop ~2 yr old, Windows 8.0, Avast Internet Security, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium, MS Office 365, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol, all current.

This is an office computer used almost exclusively for water-agency related purposes - Email, writing and editing Word documents and PDFs, searching for, downloading and filing documents related to water production and distribution, to water quality and safety, and similar subject matter.  Browsing outside that area of interest is pretty much limited to news media (AP, ABC, MSNBC) and Bleeping Computer.  No personal Email or Web sites.  "Shopping" pretty strictly limited to hardware or rarely software directly related to computer function or the water business.  Lots of photos (taken by me) of water pipes, pumps and what have you.  IrfanView to manipulate them.  VLC to listen to audio files (meeting recordings) and view videos (of the insides of water wells).

Lately computer has been getting slower, until it takes a minute or more sometimes to load an application or a Web page.  Avast! tells me there are many (60ish I think) unnecessary programs, etc., and offers to clean things up - I think for a fee, i.e. installing an additional Premium component.  I love the Avast software but hate their marketing (surprise).  So maybe first question: should I let Avast go ahead and do its stuff?  I should say I readily believe there are a lot of unnecessary startup programs that are slowing things up.  I just downloaded the entire Sysinternals suite (have used some of their utilities before, on other computers, to identify that kind of thing).  Or how about using CCleaner (telling it to leave the registry alone <G>)?

Thanks for enlightenment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:23 PM

Use the programs below to find adware and malware. If you haven't run a scan using MBAM....do that, too.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double-click mbam-setup-2.X.X.XXXX.exe to install the application (X's are the current version number).

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • Once MBAM opens, when it says Your databases are out of date, click the Fix Now button.
  • Click the Settings tab at the top, and then in the left column, select Detections and Protections, and if not already checked place a checkmark in the selection box for Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab at the top of the program window, select Threat Scan and click the Scan Now button.
  • If you receive a message that updates are available, click the Update Now button (the update will be downloaded, installed, and the scan will start).
  • When MBAM is finished scanning it will display a screen that displays any malware that it has detected.
  • Click the Remove Selected button.
  • MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so.
  • While still on the Scan tab, click the link for View detailed log, and in the window that opens click the Export button, select Text file (*.txt), and save the log to your Desktop.
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can also be viewed by clicking the History tab and then selecting Application Logs.

POST THE LOG FOR  REVIEW.

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.
  • download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

Edited by buddy215, 03 October 2015 - 05:30 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:24 PM

Forgot to mention that MBAM scan (freshly updated database) found nothing.  Full Avast AV scan also found nothing.  WinPatrol lists a lot of startup programs, probably some unnecessary but without further investigation I don't know which.  Also forgot to mention that I am a longtime user of the MVPS hosts file, but just noticed that the one on this machine needs updating.  As a water district manager in the California drought, I have been insanely busy for months now.

Haven't used AdwCleaner or JRT in a while, so just downloaded latest versions.  Haven't used the ESET scan in a while, so will download current version.  CCleaner is new on this machine (have the Pro version at home).  So will run CCleaner, AdwCleaner and JRT and report back, then run the ESET scan (as I remember, that one can take a while, at least the download <G>).

#4 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:36 PM

CCleaner removed a LOT of stuff, including of course the login cookie for this site <G>.

The AdwCleaner log:

# Updated 26/08/2015 by Xplode
# Database : 2015-08-25.1 [Server]
# Operating system : Windows 8  (x64)
# Username : Alpaugh water - OFFICE-LAPTOP
# Running from : C:\Users\Alpaugh water\Downloads\AdwCleaner (1).exe
# Option : Cleaning

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Folders ] *****

[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files (x86)\DriverTuner
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\DriverTuner
[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Alpaugh water\AppData\Local\DriverTuner

***** [ Files ] *****

[-] File Deleted : C:\Users\Public\Desktop\DriverTuner.lnk

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Scheduled tasks ] *****

[-] Task Deleted : DriverTuner Startup

***** [ Registry ] *****

[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\DriverTuner_Init
[-] Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\DriverTuner
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{520C1D80-935C-42B9-9340-E883849D804F}_is1
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0A7D6F3C-F2AB-48ED-BE23-99791BFF87D6}
[!] Key Not Deleted : [x64] HKCU\Software\DriverTuner_Init
[!] Key Not Deleted : [x64] HKCU\Software\DriverTuner
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Features\C3F6D7A0BA2FDE84EB329997B1FF786D
[-] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\C3F6D7A0BA2FDE84EB329997B1FF786D
[-] Key Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\C3F6D7A0BA2FDE84EB329997B1FF786D

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

[-] [C:\Users\Alpaugh water\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data] [Search Provider] Deleted : aol.com
[-] [C:\Users\Alpaugh water\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data] [Search Provider] Deleted : ask.com

:: Winsock settings cleared

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C2].txt - [1938 bytes] ##########

From the "C2" (cleaning log) you can see I had run AdwCleaner before (long ago).  The S2 (scan log) is similar.  DriverTuner is no loss <G>.  Something I installed way back in the beginning before I knew better.  Wasted money, oh well.

Before running JRT I am supposed to disable Avast Internet Security - meaning I suppose I had better first log off the Internet.  This computer is connected via WiFi, so I will have to turn that off (can't mess with the router, that would shut down the whole office . . .).  And I have no idea how to turn off the Avast, short of disabling all the "active protection" items one by one - and not sure that would really disable the whole thing.  There's got to be another way?

Anyway I am going home now (after 5:30 pm local time) and will be back in the morning to continue this.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,622 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:46 PM

Disabling active protection....running in the background should be good enough. I wouldn't suggest disconnecting from the web...and you may need it to get JRT's updates after downloading.

Post the three lists mentioned below using CCleaner after completing the other scans.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Startups. On that page you will see a list of Windows Startups and at the top tabs for each browser and Scheduled Tasks.

At the bottom right of that page you will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste the list of Windows Startups and Scheduled Tasks into your next

post. Please do that.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Uninstall. On that page you will see a list of programs installed on your computer and at the bottom right of that page you

will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste that list in your next post. Please do that.

Edited by buddy215, 27 August 2015 - 07:47 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:08 PM

While running JRT, got two notices from Google Chrome that remote procedure call had failed . . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes
Version: 7.5.9 (08.27.2015:1)
Ran by Alpaugh water on Fri 08/28/2015 at 11:58:06.94

~~~ Services

~~~ Tasks

Successfully deleted: [Task] C:\Windows\system32\tasks\PCDEventLauncherTask
Successfully deleted: [Task] C:\Windows\system32\tasks\PCDoctorBackgroundMonitorTask

~~~ Registry Values

~~~ Registry Keys

~~~ Files

~~~ Folders

~~~ Chrome

[C:\Users\Alpaugh water\Appdata\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences] - default search provider reset

[C:\Users\Alpaugh water\Appdata\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences] - Extensions Deleted:

[C:\Users\Alpaugh water\Appdata\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] - default search provider reset

[C:\Users\Alpaugh water\Appdata\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] - Extensions Deleted:
[]

Scan was completed on Fri 08/28/2015 at 12:02:00.09
End of JRT log

After running this, when I called Google Chrome it came up at once - previously nothing happened for up to a minute before the program opened.  Coincidence?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,622 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

Yep...could of been \PCDoctorBackgroundMonitorTask causing the slow opening of browser. But more likely it is the Apps associated with Alpaugh water that were

removed and you might need to reinstall if they are needed to perform your job.

Programs that offer to increase speed, check for missing or updating drivers and registry cleanup either are ad intensive, cause severe damage, install malware or all three.

There are a ton of rogue security programs, too.

Post the Eset scan results and the three lists from CCleaner when you have the time.

I saw in the news where California estimates it has reduced water usage by 30%.....now if they could just get the public employees to stop washing their cars several times

a week..... :nono:

Edited by buddy215, 28 August 2015 - 02:39 PM.

#8 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:35 PM

ESET scan found no threats.

Startup.txt:

Yes HKCU:Run CCleaner Monitoring Piriform Ltd "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /MONITOR
Yes HKCU:Run WinPatrol Ruiware C:\Program Files (x86)\Ruiware\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe
Yes HKCU:RunOnce Uninstall C:\Users\Alpaugh water\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SkyDrive\16.4.6013.0910 Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q /c rmdir /s /q "C:\Users\Alpaugh water\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SkyDrive\16.4.6013.0910"
Yes HKCU:RunOnce Uninstall C:\Users\Alpaugh water\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SkyDrive\16.4.6013.0910\amd64 Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q /c rmdir /s /q "C:\Users\Alpaugh water\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SkyDrive\16.4.6013.0910\amd64"
Yes HKLM:Run AvastUI.exe AVAST Software "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe" /nogui
Yes HKLM:Run BtPreLoad Qualcomm Atheros "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Wireless\Bluetooth Suite\BtPreLoad.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run Classic Start Menu IvoSoft "C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe" -autorun
Yes HKLM:Run HotKeysCmds Intel Corporation C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
Yes HKLM:Run IAStorIcon Intel Corporation C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIconLaunch.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe" 60
Yes HKLM:Run IgfxTray Intel Corporation C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
Yes HKLM:Run Persistence Intel Corporation C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
Yes HKLM:Run QuickSet Dell Inc. c:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\QuickSet.exe
Yes HKLM:Run RemoteControl10 CyberLink Corp. "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD10\PDVD10Serv.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run RtHDVBg Realtek Semiconductor C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RAVBg64.exe /MAXX4 
Yes HKLM:Run RTHDVCPL Realtek Semiconductor C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI64.exe -s
Yes Startup User Dropbox.lnk Dropbox, Inc. C:\Users\Alpaugh water\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
Yes Startup User Send to OneNote.lnk Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\onenotem.exe

Startup2.txt (scheduled tasks):
Yes Task Adobe Acrobat Update Task Adobe Systems Incorporated C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe
Yes Task CCleanerSkipUAC Piriform Ltd "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" $(Arg0)
Yes Task Dell SupportAssistAgent AutoUpdate Dell Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin\SupportAssist.exe AutoUpdate
Yes Task G2MUpdateTask-S-1-5-21-3439042972-3046612613-692462828-1001 Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. C:\Users\Alpaugh water\AppData\Local\Citrix\GoToMeeting\3215\g2mupdate.exe
Yes Task G2MUploadTask-S-1-5-21-3439042972-3046612613-692462828-1001 Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. C:\Users\Alpaugh water\AppData\Local\Citrix\GoToMeeting\3215\g2mupload.exe
Yes Task GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore Google Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe /c
Yes Task GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA Google Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe /ua /installsource scheduler
No Task Optimize Start Menu Cache Files-S-1-5-21-3439042972-3046612613-692462828-1001
No Task PocketCloud Wyse Technology C:\Program Files (x86)\Wyse\PocketCloud\ConfigUtility.exe -l "C:\Program Files (x86)\Wyse\PocketCloud\PocketCloudDesktopApp.exe"
No Task PocketCloudUpdater Wyse Technology Inc C:\Program Files (x86)\Wyse\PocketCloud\Updater.exe
No Task PocketCloudVirtualChannel C:\Program Files (x86)\Wyse\PocketCloud Windows Companion\WPCRDPVirtualChannelServer.exe
Yes Task Synaptics TouchPad Enhancements Synaptics Incorporated "C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe"
Yes Task SystemToolsDailyTest "uaclauncher.exe" -silentenumeration -st SystemToolsDailyTest --ignoresecondarysplash --runsilently

Install.txt:
Adobe Reader XI (11.0.12) Adobe Systems Incorporated 7/22/2015 185 MB 11.0.12
Avast Internet Security AVAST Software 8/6/2015 10.3.2225
CCleaner Piriform 8/27/2015 5.09
Cisco WebEx Meetings Cisco WebEx LLC 4/22/2015
Citrix Online Launcher Citrix 5/26/2015 294 KB 1.0.312
Classic Shell IvoSoft 8/19/2015 12.3 MB 4.2.4
CyberLink Media Suite Essentials CyberLink Corp. 7/31/2013 1.16 GB 10.0
Dell Backup and Recovery Dell Inc. 7/31/2013 1.6.1.1
Dell Backup and Recovery - Support Software Dell Inc. 7/31/2013 1.6.1.1
Dell Data Vault 7/31/2013
Dell SupportAssist Dell 6/22/2015 197 MB 1.1.6664.10
Dell SupportAssistAgent Dell 4/27/2015 45.1 MB 1.0.3.60494
Dell Touchpad Synaptics Incorporated 3/17/2014 46.4 MB 18.0.1.0
Dell WLAN and Bluetooth Client Installation Dell Inc. 7/31/2013 10.0
Dropbox Dropbox, Inc. 4/2/2014 2.6.24
ENE CIR Receiver Driver ENE 6/5/2014 2.7.4.3
ESET Online Scanner v3 8/28/2015
Google Chrome Google Inc. 1/2/2014 44.0.2403.157
Google Earth Google 6/1/2015 179 MB 7.1.5.1557
GoToMeeting 7.2.4.3215 CitrixOnline 8/13/2015 7.2.4.3215
Intel® Management Engine Components Intel Corporation 7/31/2013 8.1.0.1252
Intel® Processor Graphics Intel Corporation 7/31/2013 9.17.10.2867
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Intel Corporation 7/31/2013 11.7.0.1013
IrfanView (remove only) Irfan Skiljan 7/14/2014 2.00 MB 4.38
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.1.8.1057 Malwarebytes Corporation 7/22/2015 64.6 MB 2.1.8.1057
Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center Microsoft Corporation 4/14/2014 2.3.188.0
Microsoft Office 365 - en-us Microsoft Corporation 8/25/2015 15.0.4745.1002
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU] Microsoft Corporation 7/31/2013 1.92 MB 3.1.0000
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Microsoft Corporation 7/31/2013 4.84 MB 8.0.59193
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17 Microsoft Corporation 7/31/2013 8.85 MB 9.0.30729
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 Microsoft Corporation 11/1/2013 10.1 MB 9.0.30729.6161
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 Microsoft Corporation 2/12/2015 13.8 MB 10.0.40219
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 Microsoft Corporation 2/12/2015 11.1 MB 10.0.40219
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) - 11.0.61030 Microsoft Corporation 2/11/2015 20.5 MB 11.0.61030.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86) - 11.0.61030 Microsoft Corporation 2/11/2015 17.3 MB 11.0.61030.0
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x64) Microsoft Corporation 2/12/2015 10.0.50903
PocketCloud Wyse Technology 10/28/2013 24.6 MB 2.6.21
Quickset64 Dell Inc. 7/31/2013 10.15.018
Realtek Card Reader Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 6/24/2014 6.2.9200.39045
Realtek Card Reader Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 6/5/2014 6.3.273.37
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 8/13/2014 6.0.1.6788
Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader Software 6/5/2014
Shared C Run-time for x64 McAfee 7/31/2013 1.38 MB 10.0.0
Speccy Piriform 4/27/2015 1.28
SpywareBlaster 5.2 BrightFort LLC 8/27/2015 8.97 MB 5.2.0
VLC media player VideoLAN 4/29/2015 2.2.1
Windows Driver Package - Intel System  (10/05/2012 9.3.0.1025) Intel 6/5/2014 10/05/2012 9.3.0.1025
Windows Driver Package - Intel System  (11/01/2012 9.3.0.1026) Intel 6/5/2014 11/01/2012 9.3.0.1026
Windows Driver Package - Intel USB  (10/05/2012 9.3.0.1025) Intel 6/5/2014 10/05/2012 9.3.0.1025
Windows Live Essentials Microsoft Corporation 7/31/2013 16.4.3505.0912
WinPatrol Ruiware 8/27/2015 3.06 MB 33.6.2015.18

Note: this computer (like most Dell products) came with McAfee Live Safe installed.  I removed that (using the McAfee removal tool) and installed Avast! Internet Security instead.

Note also, there are probably some superfluous driver packages.  At the beginning there was some difficulty getting the card reader to recognize its drivers (that's probably buried in the Windows 8 forum of a year or more ago).

Meeting software: participating in online meetings with government agencies, engineering firms etc. is part of my job.

Have I missed something?

EDIT: "Alpaugh water" is the username on this computer (I am the GM of the Alpaugh Community Services District, providing domestic water to this very small town).

This is a very dusty and buggy place so I have to wash the windscreen of the company truck every few days.  The truck itself gets washed every couple of months or so - using a commercial wash with recycled water.  I wash my own truck (4Runner set up for serious off-road) every couple of weeks - again using the commercial wash with recycled water.  Needless to say that's in a not so nearby large town - not out here in the boonies.

One of our customers, who lives directly across from our waterworks yard, washes his very shiny car at least once a day.  I hate to play water cop, but . . .

Edited by saluqi, 28 August 2015 - 04:52 PM.

#9 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:21 PM

Postscript: What has been done so far seems to have largely fixed the slowness problem - Chrome (etc.) open up immediately when selected.

The mouse wheel scrolling has been reset to a very slow rate - when you look at mouse settings it still says 3 lines per click, but it is actually more like 3 clicks per line.  I remember dealing with this long long ago but have forgotten how to fix it.  Maybe re-install the mouse driver?  It's a Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500, not Bluetooth, it works through a little receiver plugged into a USB port.

EDIT:

OK, never mind, I figured it out, use the Microsoft mouse and keyboard center and change the settings there.

Edited by saluqi, 28 August 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,622 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:29 PM

Can you give the water waster the death penalty...you know...like turn his water off??

I don't see anything in those lists needing attention.

I was composing a reply when you posted #9....

Reinstalling the mouse driver might do it....if not, I would give a new mouse and adapter/ dongle a try.

Okay...good to know slowness is gone...happy surfin'

#11 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:00 PM

Update September 8th (and the 3rd time I have written this message, which has twice disappeared into limbo before I was finished):

We are back to SLOW.  When I click on the taskbar icon for Google Chrome, the program takes 2 minutes or more to load, and another minute or more to open the pages on all 5 tabs.  The tabs are in order (left to right) Google, Bleeping Computer, MSNBC, ABC News and AP News.  On this office computer I don't usually view the news videos, but just scan the site quickly to see what's going on.  I have installed no new software.  I have probably downloaded some PDF files, and perhaps a Web page or two, from official water-related sites such as the California Water Resources Control Board, the California Small Districts Association, the Association of California Water Agencies and so on.  I exchange E-mails with those agencies and with specific vendors of water associated products (orders for spare parts, for pipe, for locksmith services, that sort of thing).  Browsing on this office computer is pretty much restricted to Google searches for water related hardware, literature and so on.

My very similar computer at home does not seem to have this problem.  FWIW the ISP is the same in both places - it is basically Comcast fiber-optic to a town 20 miies away, then microwave relay to our own water tower (I help maintain the setup on the tower, a historic landmark no longer used for water supply) and from there to numerous subscribers in our town.  For laughs I just checked the speed to our office here, roughly 5 Gbits down, 2.5 up (it's usually much faster).  At home, where I have a lower-speed subscription, I usually have at least 20 down, 10 up.  I don't think, however, that the temporary slowdown into our office (it is 6 pm and all the kids are home from school <G>) is the reason Chrome takes 2 minutes or more to open.

Any ideas?

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,622 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:54 AM

Close all the tabs, exit Chrome and then run CCleaner to clean up the logs, temporary files,  caches, cookies, etc.

Open Chrome. Is it still slow to open?

In your earlier list of Scheduled Tasks are these:

Yes Task Adobe Acrobat Update Task Adobe Systems Incorporated C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe
Yes Task CCleanerSkipUAC Piriform Ltd "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" $(Arg0)
Yes Task Dell SupportAssistAgent AutoUpdate Dell Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin\SupportAssist.exe AutoUpdate
Yes Task G2MUpdateTask-S-1-5-21-3439042972-3046612613-692462828-1001 Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. C:\Users\Alpaugh water\AppData\Local\Citrix\GoToMeeting\3215\g2mupdate.exe
Yes Task G2MUploadTask-S-1-5-21-3439042972-3046612613-692462828-1001 Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. C:\Users\Alpaugh water\AppData\Local\Citrix\GoToMeeting\3215\g2mupload.exe
Yes Task GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore Google Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe /c
Yes Task GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA Google Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe /ua /installsource scheduler
Yes Task SystemToolsDailyTest "uaclauncher.exe" -silentenumeration -st SystemToolsDailyTest --ignoresecondarysplash --runsilently

Suggest you disable all of them using CCleaner. Click on each item to highlight and then choose on the right to Disable.

#13 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:54 PM

After running CCleaner things are much faster - but still not very lively.

So now to disable scheduled tasks.  I presume I can re-enable any that really prove essential to have running.  Do I understand correctly that these are basically "preloading" functions that make the named program a bit faster to respond if called on?

Some of them seem to have to do with automatic software updating?

Thanks,

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,622 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:43 PM

You're right...and as far as updating goes just manually check for updates for Adobe products and Google Chrome like once a month.

Reset Chrome browser settings

Google Chrome gives you the option to reset your browser settings in one easy click. In some cases, programs that you install can change your Chrome settings without your knowledge. You may see additional extensions and toolbars or a different search engine. Resetting your browser settings will reset the unwanted changes caused by installing other programs. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be cleared or changed.

Reset your Chrome browser settings
  1. In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu
  2. Select Settings.
  3. At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
  4. Under the section "Reset settings,” click Reset settings.
  5. In the dialog that appears, click Reset.

#15 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:39 PM

Well, I have finally reset the Chrome settings, and then re-created the same browser tabs I used before (Google, Bleeping Computer, MSNBC, ABC News, and Associated Press News).  Have not yet disabled the autoupdaters, etc.  Resetting the Chrome settings seems to have cured the "slows" problem, for the moment at least.  Before that, i.e. ten minutes ago, it took three minutes for Chrome to open.  Now, three seconds or so.

That has piqued my curiosity.  What exactly did that settings reset do?  and what was it that was slowing things down?  and, of course, how to prevent it happening again?  The curious thing for me is that it affected this computer only, not the very similar one (with a very similar software setup) that I have at home, and also not the Windows 7 Professional desktop at home.

My work life is so frantic just now that I'd probably forget my own name if I didn't have it on a badge hung round my neck <G>.  So I wouldn't mind a slight performance hit for the sake of automatic updates that I would otherwise tend to forget.  But not three minutes to open a program!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users