Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommend programming language

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:59 PM

I would like to write a little typing tutor program. The program would generate sample text for me to type, provide a place for me to type it in, compare what I type with the target text, keep track of accuracy, and generate error messages.

Can someone recommend a good programming language for this application?

I do know a little VBA and I am learning Access. So one option would be a data entry form tied to an Access database. This would allow me to use the power of Access to keep track of the results. But I hate VBA. It is, IMHO, even worse than Fortran or Cobol. (probably no one here even remembers what those are)

I would prefer an interpreted language for the realtime debugging aids, but would be open to anything that does not require a year to learn.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:26 PM

If you are running Windows, you could look into C#. IMO it is easy to use if you are familiar with C syntax - of course if you aren't familiar you will have to learn that. However, I think you need to be running Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 - or equivalent Windows Server, to use XAML - a mark-up language used in conjunction with C# in Visual Studio, in order to streamline making user interfaces. 

MS has a community edition of Visual Studio you can install for free, and Microsoft Virtual Academy has free online courses for C#.

#3 Joeso

Joeso

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:50 PM

Learn C or C++, if you have not already. Using C++ and Winapi (windows specific) would be the best, in my opinion. C is great if you are interested in learning skills for job opportunities.

The easiest for this task (windows specific) would be VBA for you. If you are familiar with it, it's easy, and has everything you need. VBA isn't a good language, and I understand why you dislike it.

If you want cross-platform go with C or C++ and GTK or Qt but that's a lot of work, and could take a year, so you probably won't do this. I'm a software developer, and I write everything cross-platform, if I can.

Fortran is great, don't diss it- especially with EE and number crunching.

EDIT: Here is a tool I use for WinAPI resource dialogs: http://www.resedit.net/

Edited by Joeso, 30 August 2015 - 10:55 PM.

#4 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:43 PM

i also recommend C++, this is what i am using: http://www.angelfire.com/art2/ebooks/teachyourselfcplusplusin21days.pdf

along with the web-based compiler http://cpp.sh

ooh, i have a signature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users