Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick launch toolbar gets turned off and resorted

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

About 2-3 times a year, my quick launch toolbar gets turned off. I know how to turn it back on (right-click | toolbars | check quick launch). But when it reappears, I find that it has been resorted alphabetically. (Grrrr.)

I would like a way to stop it from getting resorted. Failing that, I'd like a way to save a copy that I can then restore if it gets screwed up.

Thanks

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:40 AM

You can't always prevent it, but the closest thing you can do is

1.  Redo it the way you want (which you've obviously done before), then when finished,

2. Right-click on the taskbar and select 'Lock the Taskbar'.

3. As an added precaution, do the same in the Start Menu (right-click on Start menu then Properties, Taskbar Tab, then be sure 'Lock' is checked).

4.  You can't really save your toolbar because its contents are in the registry, so you can't override it.  But you can get something like ScreenHunter 6.0 Free and take screenshots of your Quick Launch.  The QL folder is in C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\QuickLaunch

Here's a problem, though: you MIGHT not be able to add any shortcuts to the QL now that it's locked, nor can you move them around anymore, though I've not had that problem.

Second problem: when you have a LOT of those shortcuts, you'll wish they would sort in alpha order.  To make them do that, you have to unlock the taskbar, and then do what I did in this video, here.  I show the steps live, harder to explain than to just show.  The video shows Win7, but the mechanics are the same for XP through Windows 10.

Now, maybe you're not interested in anything but Steps 1-4, but at least now you know how your QL disappears and everything is suddenly sorted alpha.  It's a consequence of some program being added to the QL total, and there are so many already, that they auto-sort alpha.  So that means either you need to create a second toolbar (like you'll see in the video, where I have both Desktop and QL), or you'll need to reduce the shortcuts in the bar.

Remember also that uniquely in XP, you can have a toolbar at top and bottom, link is my main XP desktop picture (made using that ScreenHunterFree).

Hope this helps! Yell at me if it doesn't (send me a PM, as notifications are off).

Edited by brainout, 28 August 2015 - 10:07 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users