Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few simple questions about switches and how they work behind the router.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MechaMan

MechaMan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:30 PM

Hello, I am thinking about setting up a few servers - And so far everything have been going ok. But now to the questions. 

1. I have bough a switch. When I am then going to portfoward inside the router, do i try and find the switch IP-adress and forward it to that adress, or do i use the internal machine ip-adress?

2. Any good useful servers you recommend setting up that doesnt take too much power? (Thinking about Minecraft, Teamspeak etc.) Already going to set up teamspeak and some minor game servers. 

My server machine is very weak but internet line is very strong so keep that in mind when coming with suggestions:)

Thanks in advance.

By the way this is my first post so I attached a party potato.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:05 PM

A switch is not a router and as such is just a pass through device.  Forwarding to it would be a dead end of the forward.

No suggestions on question 2

#3 MechaMan

MechaMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:48 PM

Thank you so much for your answer :)

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r