Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple wired network - yeah right!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dsolve

dsolve

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:39 PM

Hi Guys,

I thought I would do a simple little wired networking project but, I guess there’s no such thing.

I’m trying to network two PC’s (one Win 7 and one XP) and a smart Blu-ray player. I don’t want the Win 7 machine and the Blu-ray player to have internet access, but I do want the XP machine to have dial-up via internal modem (no ICS).

The primary purpose of this network is to be a video media server. The Win 7 machine (juke box) will store the video files, the Blu-ray box will play them to my TV and the XP machine will rip new videos and load them to the juke box. In addition, the juke box and the player will run all the time and the XP machine will join the network only when there’s a new video file to be added.

I fired it off and have to say, it worked really great and I was congratulating myself on being a networking whiz when the devil reared his ugly head. If, for whatever reason, the Win 7 machine gets rebooted and the XP machine is not present, the network doesn’t come back properly then the Blu-ray player won’t find the jukebox.  I concluded, this is because the XP machine is acting as the default gateway and is not available to assign a new IP address. Well, no problem, just manually assign the IP addresses but, that didn’t work either.

I’ve been a member of this forum for several years and have always been able to find what I needed by reading but this time I think I need a little help.  Anyone have a suggestion?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:24 PM

XP can't be a default gateway since you did not engage ICS.  So what ip addresses did you assign per device and what is the subnet mask?  You of course put in no gateway or dns entries right?

#3 dsolve

dsolve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:59 PM

I've lost track of all the combinations of these settings that I've tried, so I'll start with what is set now.

XP Machine

IP  192.168.0.10

mask  255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.0.1

dns  192.168.0.1

Win 7 machine

ip  192.168.0.2

mask  255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.0.1

dns  192.168.0.1

Blu-ray player

ip 192.168.0.4

mask 255.255.255

gateway 192.168.0.1

dns  68.94.156.1

What else do you need? 

Thanks

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:04 PM

drop the gateway and dns entries. Leave them blank.  You don't have either and dead end entries can cause problems.

Once you have done so can you ping the ip address of the blueray player from the win7 box?

#5 dsolve

dsolve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:33 PM

Yes, I can ping the Blu-ray IP address - no lost packets

I tried to remove the gateway and dns entries in the Blu-ray player but it won't let me. They're required fields, 

The player still doesn't see the media server (win 7 machine). It sees the network though.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:40 PM

make sure the win7 and xp firewalls are set to trust your location 192.168.0.0/24 subnet.  Otherwise they might see this as a unsecure network and block access.

#7 dsolve

dsolve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:00 PM

XP box is using Privatefirewall 7.0 and I've set to trust network 192.168.0.0/24

Win 7 box has windows firewall but I have it disabled since the box won't be on the internet.

Should I enable it and set it trust this location?  It seems to me that if it is turned off it can't block anything... right?

Thanks again!

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:06 PM

Disabled should be fine.  Can you post a pic of what you see if you go to Network and Sharing Center?

#9 dsolve

dsolve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:53 PM

OK, I've tried to send pictures but the connection resets before the upload finishes. I suspect it's because of my dial-up connection being so slow.

I'll try to describe what's in the Network and Sharing Center. 

On the upper left it shows an icon for the Win 7 computer. Moving to the right is a thin line with another icon labeled Unidentified network. Moving further to the right is a thin line to an icon labeled Internet. There's a red x on the line signifying no internet access (as expected). On the next line down on the left is a larger icon labeled Unidentified Network and Work network (I can change Work Network to Home network but a reboot will change it back to work again). I can click on the link "to see full map" and it says "no network or device found".

By clicking on the center icon labeled "Unidentified Network" on the top line it takes to a screen showing the network. At the top is a pull down labeled "Computer (2)" and the Win 7 and XP boxes are shown there. The next pull down is labeled "Media Devices (1)" and a icon is there with the name of the Win 7 box. This is Windows Media Player acting as the streaming device (not sure why this is necessary it wouldn't work without it). Next pull down is labeled "Other Devices (1)" and the Blu-ray Player is shown there. The last pull down is for "Adding a Network Place".

I think that's all the useful information.  Sorry about not being able to upload pictures but that's dial-up for you.

Edited by dsolve, 28 August 2015 - 08:29 AM.

#10 dsolve

dsolve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:40 PM

Well,  It's not very pretty but I've worked out a solution to my problem and all is working the way I want... so far.

For anyone who's interested, here's what I did.  Through out this whole mess, it was clear my network just wanted a default gateway and my configuration didn't provide one. So, I dug down in my junk drawer and pulled out an old Linksys Wireless G router and plugged it into an open port in my network switch. I configured it to be the default gateway and now my network is happy. Both the Win 7 and the XP boxes see each other and the Blu-ray player sees my video library.  Who-aw,  life is good again!

Many thanks to Wand3r3r for your help.

Moderators, you may close this thread now.

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:26 AM

You came to the same conclusion I did.  A router would be the easiest way to set this up.  If you didn't have the Bluray player in the mix it could have been resolved with static IP addresses and HOST file modifications on the computers.  Basically you needed a device on the network to handle DNS, the other choice would have been to access the jukebox by IP address rather than name.

#12 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:37 PM

No network requires a gateway, even a nonexistent one, to work lan wise.

A router is not a dns server [unless running dnsmasq] but is a pass thru device for dns requests.  This is why you list gateway as dns server.

On a local lan the hosts are identified by broadcasts and then cached by the local workstations dns resolver.

Nice that you got everything working.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 01 September 2015 - 07:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users